Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 21-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Ascender
how to get result

pariyatti patipatti pativedha

theory and practice (conduct, behavior)

to put what we understand, wisdom from outside, into practice

both theory and practice are important, to get the desired result,

theory means understanding, point of view, knowledge from books or others, or our wisdom through life experience, contemplation, etc

practice means, our way of life, our deeds, speech, and mind, behavior, conduct, what we do, etc

how to get the right result, in pali pativedha

someone should know, the right theory
and should do the right practice,
Old 22-08-2023, 12:38 PM
Master
The words of the Buddha (Dharma) consists of three aspects , the
Doctrinal (Pariyatti), the Practical (Patipatti) and the Realisable (Pativedha). The doctrinal aspect are preserved in the Scriptures called Three Pitakas/Baskets of the Canon. Imo they link together, starting with Buddha's Teachings which you put into practise and see them become your reality......
Old 22-08-2023, 04:41 PM
Master

I was thinking the other day about how religions have these simple numbers of things, like the eightfold path (8), the ten commandments (10), God as Trinity (3), Dharma consists of three aspects (3).

I was thinking it would be funny if religions had huge numbers instead, like the 1,103 fold path, the 9,378 commandments, God as 47,332 parts, Dharma consisting as 237 aspects.

I was thinking humans like simplicity and easy to understand stuff so tend to always break things down to simple numbers. I don't think reality is actually that simple. But I think human beings accept things in simple numbers. Like there are these 3 things, these 12 things instead of there are these 457,387 things. They say there are seven (7) Chakra's. What if there are 2,394 Chakra's! People would not be as interested I don't think.

"to put what we understand, wisdom from outside, into practice"

Something like that I think too is a simplification. One can understand understanding, wisdom from "outside" is always deciphered by whatever is inside so are we seeing what is outside or inside?, practice assumes one type of practitioner and the natures and structures of the one who practices can be completely different.

In some ways, "practice" can just be the sum result of all existing realities in the present moment that converge in a moment of time to produce an experience and perhaps a corresponding internal word based commentary on it.
Old 22-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Master
Imo, knowledge is from without and wisdom is from within.....
Old 23-08-2023, 03:44 AM
Ascender
there are 37 Bodhipakkhiya dhamma, also

84,000 dhammakkhandha

Sutta pitaka = 21,000 dhammakkhandhas
Vinaya pitaka = 21,000 dhammakkhandhas
Abhidhamma pitaka = 42,000 dhammakkhandhas

82,000 dhamma from the Buddha I have received;
2,000 more from his disciples;
Now 84,000 teachings are familiar to me.

— the Venerable Ananda,
in Theragatha 17.3 (vv. 1024-29)

"to put what we understand, wisdom from outside, into practice"
we understand is wisdom from inside, our own understanding, knowledge or wisdom, or contemplation,
wisdom from outside is what we heard, knowledge from others, second-hand opinions,

in this teaching everything needs theory and practice to get a result not only dhamma, or how to attain Nibbana,
even when you may say you do not have any theory because you are an autodidact,

to be a good driver, you need theory and practice
to be a swimmer, you need both theory and practice,
even when someone thinks I don't have any theory in swimming, actually they have an understanding or knowledge of how to swim,
the knowledge of how to drive and how to swim, arise in him, he knows by himself what is a wheel for, and what is a brake for, maybe he got it from outside, or he tried it himself, he should have the knowledge or theory, to get result
Old 23-08-2023, 04:48 AM
Master
Sounds good. I'd stick to that.