Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 07-08-2021, 07:44 AM
Deactivated Account
In the beginning

A while back I read a book by the Theravada Elder, Nyanaponika Thera, "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation". In it he contrasted the beginnings of two books, The Bible and the Buddhist Dhammapada.

"In the beginning God......" (Bible)

"All things are led by mind, created by mind........" (Dhammapada)

Nyanaponika Thera suggested that this was where the two Faiths left each other, one up into an imaginary beyond, the other into the heart of "man".

Mentioning "faith" another difference appears. Faith in God v Faith in oneself. "Be ye lamps unto yourselves" said the Buddha.

This is where anatta comes in. Not-self. A teaching that if not understood will inevitably lead to Buddhism, the Dharma, not being understood. "Understanding" in Buddhism means not simple logical/intellectual understanding but the full experience of the mind/heart.

The question is asked, given anatta, exactly what is the "self" that Buddhists are asked to be a lamp for themselves.

Just questions to ask ourselves.

Christianity speaks of salvation by faith. My own Pure Land Buddhism sees faith as "salvation". It is that non-dual context.

"This guided me
more surely than the light of noon
to where he was awaiting me
— him I knew so well —
there in a place where no one appeared"

(Lines from "The Dark Night", St John of the Cross)