Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 20-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Gracey

this is the first year i am serious about. i am fasting now until ash Wednesday and then what i am giving up is all junk food.
Old 21-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAPath
I have been trying to strengthen my Catholic side lately. I don't want to let my spiritualism skew the way I was raised, because I thank my parents every day for raising me so well. If that involves the church, then so be it.

Anyway... When I was at church on Sunday, I think he said it best (of all the years I've heard it talked about). Lent is a time of reflection. We draw inspiration from the lord, strive to go through much of what he had, to get past the point of just speaking to Him, but speaking WITH Him. Traditionally people go without, and give of themselves, as Jesus did for us (Give up candy, and volunteer to charity). There is no rule saying you have to do those things, but it's just the most common way to become closer with Him.

The tradition of not eating meat has a strange history, and I won't get into the details. I will not be taking part in it this year, due to health limitations. I will, however take extra time in thoughtful prayer to listen to the word, and truly listen.

I observe Lent as it was intended. A time of reflection.

That sounds wonderful. It is a time of reflection, and I have also made this a big part of my lenten promise to God. I will make a point to actually 'talk' to him everyday. I am looking forward to tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) so I can start this journey with Jesus.

Thanks for sharing 'OnAPath'.
But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
Old 21-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
this is the first year i am serious about. i am fasting now until ash Wednesday and then what i am giving up is all junk food.

Yeah, good for you Gracey. I think Lent really is a very personal thing. For some people giving up chocolate (like I am) may not be a big deal, but for me it's going to be tough, and that's the whole point.

Good luck with your Lenten plans and your journey over the next 6 weeks.
Old 21-02-2012, 12:33 PM
earthprowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels eyes
Well, I have decided to give up chocolate, as this, for me will be extremely hard. No meat on Ash Wednesday and every Friday during Lent. This I don't mind, as I do not eat a lot of meat anyway.

Obstaining from meat and chocolate, will be a personal sacrifice, along with prayer and connecting with Jesus. I will be taking part in a Lent program too, this I am looking forward to.

This is the thing I do love about the Catholic church. The rituals and the traditions. These are the things I hope to pass down to my children.

Thanks for the link too Morpheus, very cool.

ugghhh, bad flashback! i went to Catholic school and i remember putting any candy i got in a drawer during lent (oh how it sucked ) with my mom keeping close tabs........or as close as she could, lol, as i remember i never quite made it through lent. and try taking your lunch to school on a Wednesday or Friday and she forgets and packs you a roast beef sandwhich that you can't eat!!!
Old 22-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by angels eyes
[size=2] ]

Jesus nor his followers didn’t celebrate any “easter” this is one reason why we don’t…
EASTER-The name "Easter" originated with the names of an ancient Goddess and God. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Pagan religions in the Mediterranean area had a major seasonal day of religious celebration at or following the Spring Equinox. Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a fictional consort who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. He was Attis, who was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during the period MAR-22 to MAR-25. "About 200 B.C. Many religious historians believe that the death and resurrection legends were first associated with Attis, many centuries before the birth of Jesus. They were simply grafted onto stories of Jesus' life in order to make Christian theology more acceptable to Pagans.
not all religion, (I’m sure), does this either..[/I]
Old 23-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
There goes my idea that giving up meat could easily be achieved by eating more Margareta pizzas.
Old 24-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Mary Baker

Anyone can observe Lent, it is simply not a tradition in many churches.

I remember once in my teens I viowed, with others, to fast one day and pray for a week long revival we had going. I was very proud of my vow.

That day I ate no breakfast and walked a mile to get our mail near a friend's house. I could not resist telling them about my admirable vow to fast all day. On the way home I always pass an apple orchard. Out of habit and unthinkingly I picked an apple and walked on munching on it until I realized what I had done. I spit out what was in my mouth and threw the remains of the apple away but it was too late!!

God must have been laughing good naturedly (only way he laughs, IMHO) at me, my ignorance, pride, and childishness.

It took me down a peg and probably put me in a better condition to really participate in the revival services from my heart.
Old 24-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Baker
Anyone can observe Lent, it is simply not a tradition in many churches.

I remember once in my teens I viowed, with others, to fast one day and pray for a week long revival we had going. I was very proud of my vow.

That day I ate no breakfast and walked a mile to get our mail near a friend's house. I could not resist telling them about my admirable vow to fast all day. On the way home I always pass an apple orchard. Out of habit and unthinkingly I picked an apple and walked on munching on it until I realized what I had done. I spit out what was in my mouth and threw the remains of the apple away but it was too late!!

God must have been laughing good naturedly (only way he laughs, IMHO) at me, my ignorance, pride, and childishness.

It took me down a peg and probably put me in a better condition to really participate in the revival services from my heart.

Hehehe, thanks for sharing your wonderful story Mary. I am sure God did have a giggle that day.