Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Pathfinder
Book1 Do all Christians participate in Lent?

I was just wondering if all Christian denominations practice lent?

I am slowly returning to the Catholic church and I am about to start a Lent Program through the church. It is also Shrove Tuesday (in 2 days time), then Ash Wednesday. No meat is to be eaten on Ash Wednesday, then every Friday until Easter.

I am giving up chocolate , which is going to be very hard, plus all sweets too, and of course concerntrating on prayer and fasting on the special days as well.

Is this only a Catholic practice or does everyone do it?
Just curious. (I think the Anglican church does it too??)
But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
Old 19-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Master
Quote:
I am giving up chocolate , which is going to be very hard, plus all sweets too, and of course concerntrating on prayer and fasting on the special days as well.

Giving up chocalate is part of Lent?
Well, it's healthy to do so. There are diabetic chocolates, you know, devoid of sugar, artifical sweeteners.

The rituals though are only an outer consequence of an inner discipline, spirit, and rigor.
St. Paul spoke on this about not doing this, and not doing that, how, these in themselves are not effective. It's about the heart, and our faith in the risen and livng Christ.

Quote:
"7. Colossians.
This epistle was written in defense of Christ's divinity and the dignity of our life in Christ against certain false teachers, who had invaded Colossa, and advocated the cult of angels as necessary for salvation, in this way minimizing the dignity of Christ, the one sole Mediator.
They also inculcated a rigid abstinence from certain foods and strove to impose upon the faithful various Mosiac observances.
In the dogmatic and doctrinal section of the Epistle (1:1 to 3:20) St Paul defends the unique dignity of Christ and refutes the false doctors.
In the moral section (3:1 to 4:6) he urges the Christians to live up to their dignity as members of Christ's body, explains the moral obligations of various groups, and recommends prayer, vigilance and prudence."

http://www.cathtruth.com/catholicbible/letters.htm

Lutherans practice Lent, I know. Perhaps Episcopalians. Not sure about Presbyterians.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 19-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Occultist

I think not all Christians I believe this is more of a Catholic thing.
Giving up something is considerd a type of fasting.
I doubt chocolate is going to take anyone to hell I believe its safe to eat at easter LOL. Where you put the chocolate completly different story LOL
Old 19-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Cano

I clean the Lent out of the dryer each time I use it as a safety precaution........oh, that kind of lent, sorry!

The Catholic church added a new heavy yoke to the religion about Jesus. Jesus rescued believers from this oppressive practice or substitute from having the personal relationship with God which was embodied in the religion of Jesus.

Ritual and fasting is a substitute for seeking the will of God and actually doing that will each day in all of our affairs.

Cano
Old 20-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Giving up chocalate is part of Lent?
Well, it's healthy to do so. There are diabetic chocolates, you know, devoid of sugar, artifical sweeteners.

Well, I have decided to give up chocolate, as this, for me will be extremely hard. No meat on Ash Wednesday and every Friday during Lent. This I don't mind, as I do not eat a lot of meat anyway.

Obstaining from meat and chocolate ( ) will be a personal sacrifice, along with prayer and connecting with Jesus. I will be taking part in a Lent program too, this I am looking forward to.

This is the thing I do love about the Catholic church. The rituals and the traditions. These are the things I hope to pass down to my children.

Thanks for the link too Morpheus, very cool.
Old 20-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultist
I think not all Christians I believe this is more of a Catholic thing.
Giving up something is considerd a type of fasting.
I doubt chocolate is going to take anyone to hell I believe its safe to eat at easter LOL. Where you put the chocolate completly different story LOL

Hehehe, thanks Occultist, I like your sense of humour
I will be looking forward to a huge Easter egg on Easter Sunday for sure!
Old 20-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cano
I clean the Lent out of the dryer each time I use it as a safety precaution........oh, that kind of lent, sorry!

The Catholic church added a new heavy yoke to the religion about Jesus. Jesus rescued believers from this oppressive practice or substitute from having the personal relationship with God which was embodied in the religion of Jesus.

Ritual and fasting is a substitute for seeking the will of God and actually doing that will each day in all of our affairs.

Cano

Another one with a sense of humour .
Thanks for your reply too.
Old 20-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Mary Baker

No, many Christians do not participate in Lint.
Old 20-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Master
Lint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Baker
No, many Christians do not participate in Lint.

Except by those of the dander denomination.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 20-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Experiencer

I have been trying to strengthen my Catholic side lately. I don't want to let my spiritualism skew the way I was raised, because I thank my parents every day for raising me so well. If that involves the church, then so be it.

Anyway... When I was at church on Sunday, I think he said it best (of all the years I've heard it talked about). Lent is a time of reflection. We draw inspiration from the lord, strive to go through much of what he had, to get past the point of just speaking to Him, but speaking WITH Him. Traditionally people go without, and give of themselves, as Jesus did for us (Give up candy, and volunteer to charity). There is no rule saying you have to do those things, but it's just the most common way to become closer with Him.

The tradition of not eating meat has a strange history, and I won't get into the details. I will not be taking part in it this year, due to health limitations. I will, however take extra time in thoughtful prayer to listen to the word, and truly listen.

I observe Lent as it was intended. A time of reflection.