Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Tanith

Would like a Christian's Opinion :)

Book of Proverbs

1:20
Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the opoenings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity?

3:15
She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her
16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her

8:1
Doth not Wisdom cry? and Understanding put forth her voice?
22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old
23 I was set up from Everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:

30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him

I would like to ask a Christian's interpretation of these readings- there are many, many more, but these specifically. In fact, I skipped much in Proverbs 8, but really between 22 and 32 each of those is important but I only highlighted some stuff.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Royalite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
Book of Proverbs

1:20
Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the opoenings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity?

3:15
She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her
16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her

8:1
Doth not Wisdom cry? and Understanding put forth her voice?
22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old
23 I was set up from Everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:

30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him

I would like to ask a Christian's interpretation of these readings- there are many, many more, but these specifically. In fact, I skipped much in Proverbs 8, but really between 22 and 32 each of those is important but I only highlighted some stuff.

:/ Sounds like the Bible referred to wisdom as a she...but um...while I understand what you're getting at, is it not possible that Solomon was giving wisdom 'human' characteristics? Like personification? We often refer to a boat as 'she' as well.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 AM
TeeHee

Wisdom is being personified. Proverbs falls under the class of Wisdom Literature. Wisdom has an independent and power filled eternal existence. Like the Word, both are seen as the light of life, or the Logos with which Jesus Christ is identified.

No other but God can give to you true wisdom, and true wisdom is understanding this, lest you seek worldly wisdom.

I have found that in the best commentaries, the best authors only reveal the background of each Proverb giving to the reader a little history lesson.

The sand of the sea, the drops of rain, and the days of eternity-- who can count them?

The height of heaven, the breadth of the earth, the abyss, and wisdom-- who can search them out?

Wisdom was created before all other things, and prudent understanding from eternity.

I came forth from the mouth of the Most High, and covered the earth like a mist. I dwelt in the highest heavens, and my throne was in a pillar of cloud.

Alone I compassed the vault of heaven, and traversed the depths of the abyss.

Before the ages, in the beginning, he created me, and for all the ages I shall not cease to be. --Ecclesiasticus
Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Tanith

This go-between in Proverbs is interesting to me, because of the way that in my path the Goddess is literally Wisdom. That is her name. I converted from a mostly Southern Baptist upbringing, yet it wasn't until after I converted that I discovered these passages.

In a historical sense, do you believe it to be possible that during the spread of Christianity in the 3-400s, there were early Christo-Pagans who attempted to preserve their beliefs through the Bible? Or perhaps something more?

I'm not sure how new of a concept this is, but in one creation myth (I read it first online, then from Silver Ravenwolf, then Scott Cunningham), the god and goddess were created together from the Divine, also "Everlasting."

I am not a creationist, though, no matter which path I follow or speak of, it is simply an interesting parallel.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
This go-between in Proverbs is interesting to me, because of the way that in my path the Goddess is literally Wisdom. That is her name. I converted from a mostly Southern Baptist upbringing, yet it wasn't until after I converted that I discovered these passages.

In a historical sense, do you believe it to be possible that during the spread of Christianity in the 3-400s, there were early Christo-Pagans who attempted to preserve their beliefs through the Bible? Or perhaps something more?

I'm not sure how new of a concept this is, but in one creation myth (I read it first online, then from Silver Ravenwolf, then Scott Cunningham), the god and goddess were created together from the Divine, also "Everlasting."

I am not a creationist, though, no matter which path I follow or speak of, it is simply an interesting parallel.

Compare Proverbs 8 to the beginning of the Gospel of John, how's that for a parallel. Compare both to Genesis, is that a parallel?

Without knowing something of the history and background of each Proverb and perhaps Solomon, its very difficult to understand, and one may find similarity, but hopefully, knowing the background and history will show you the difference. I recommend that you obtain a book, a commentary written by a well known scholar that dares tackle the book of Proverbs :)

Hope you find what your looking for. Literally.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Tanith

In the sense that I take your last statement to mean, I have found what I'm looking for and come to peace with it :)

As for the rest I will certainly take to heart your advice, and do some more research and comparisons. As a historian, I am always seeking answers to questions that may or may not exist

I simply wished to know how these verses were interpreted by a Christian, because I did not know of them until just a year or so ago and am now incapable of interpreting them in a Christian point of view.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Tanith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinie
:/ Sounds like the Bible referred to wisdom as a she...but um...while I understand what you're getting at, is it not possible that Solomon was giving wisdom 'human' characteristics? Like personification? We often refer to a boat as 'she' as well.

I haven't ruled it out- many things in life are personified. Yet my burning question is, "Why Wisdom specifically, and why female?"
Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Dilchannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Wisdom is being personified. Proverbs falls under the class of Wisdom Literature. Wisdom has an independent and power filled eternal existence. Like the Word, both are seen as the light of life, or the Logos with which Jesus Christ is identified.

No other but God can give to you true wisdom, and true wisdom is understanding this, lest you seek worldly wisdom.

I have found that in the best commentaries, the best authors only reveal the background of each Proverb giving to the reader a little history lesson.

The sand of the sea, the drops of rain, and the days of eternity-- who can count them?

The height of heaven, the breadth of the earth, the abyss, and wisdom-- who can search them out?

Wisdom was created before all other things, and prudent understanding from eternity.

I came forth from the mouth of the Most High, and covered the earth like a mist. I dwelt in the highest heavens, and my throne was in a pillar of cloud.

Alone I compassed the vault of heaven, and traversed the depths of the abyss.

Before the ages, in the beginning, he created me, and for all the ages I shall not cease to be. --Ecclesiasticus

Very well said, I concur...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 AM
nightowl

Quote:
I haven't ruled it out- many things in life are personified. Yet my burning question is, "Why Wisdom specifically, and why female?"

If I may, though this isn't from a strict Christian perspective, I would like to share something that you may consider.

The Book Of Proverbs is not in the New Testament. It is not written by Christians but by a Hebrew King. You may want to research how wisdom is viewed from a Jewish perspective, sinces it is part of their writings.

In the tradition of early Christianity and in some Gnostic Christian traditions I beleive that "wisdom" was associated with the feminine aspect of God which they saw as the Holy Spirit. Now there was Hellenistic influences in that region and some believe that the Greek view of Sophia was wisdom. So it could be a blending of traditions that you are seeing in this book. Sorry not a Christian interpretation but thought it might help somehow.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 AM
TeeHee

Question: "Does the Bible teach that Sophia is the goddess of wisdom?"

http://www.gotquestions.org/sophia-goddess-wisdom.html

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 18-02-2013 at 02:29 AM.