Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 06-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Celeste

My prayers and spiritual life center me. I work at a Catholic nursing home, and we have the Exposition for an hour every Wednesday. When I come out of there, after starting with one person, praying for them, and their family, and their family's family, those here and in spirit, their animals here and in Heaven, etc. (I'm sure you get the picture) I feel it must be like when a person gets out of chemo treatment, and the healing effects of it all. Then the church I go to, they have the Exposition about an hour before mass. And they look for people to be there all day and night, protecting it. So, whenever the inclination hits you, day or night, you can go. And like I say, nothing has helped me as much as this.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Experiencer

Does the priest hold the Host in a Monstrance? Or is it on the tabernacle?

Unfortunately, crime (and other matters) have gotten people away from the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. I remember when I was a kid in Philadelphia, my parish had something called 40 Hours Devotion: the men of the parish were encouraged to volunteer an hour in the sanctuary, in a kind of shift work: one after another.

I can imagine people's reaction today in most urban parishes if you asked them to spend an hour, at night, alone, inside the church, with their back to the door.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Pathfinder
Hi Jim,

I think it is wonderful that you are starting to pray the rosary.
Our Lady asked us to do this. I hope you understand it is not for the sake of meditation etc, but each to their own....the purpose is to build a closer relationship to Jesus, through Our Blessed Mother. We meditate (think about) the mysteries as we recite the prayers, I know you know this and what you are doing in praying the rosary and particular mysteries on the given day is perfect.

I have heard we are meant to recited the whole rosary daily, but I feel if time is an issue, just one mystery would be fine.

I have really only just recently returned to the church, (catholic revert) and so am still finding my way a little with the rosary.

I love it, and it is the most useful way to combat evil.

Good luck on your beautiful journey Jim.
May you feel the grace of Our Blessed Mother everyday.
But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
Old 06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Experiencer

Thank you, AE! I note from your avatar that the rosary is very important to you.

The pattern I follow has me meditating on the Sorrowful Mysteries on Tuesday and Friday: the Luminous on Thursday: the Joyful, on Saturday and Monday: and the Glorious, on Wednesday and Sunday.

That being the case: I've heard that a complete rosary consists of 50 decades - 5 "circuits" - but there are but four types of Mysteries. On what should you contemplate the 5th time, if you were saying it all in a single day?

Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Celeste

The Blessed Sacrament is taken out of the tabernacle.

An afterthought, The Our Father is one of the most perfect/powerful
prayers.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 AM
Experiencer

That's a beautiful old custom, and I hope they continue it.

Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Pathfinder
Hello again Jim,

How you are praying the mysteries on the days is perfect.
Now, please, anyone correct me if I am wrong, I will not be offended, as I am still learning this too....

So, each mystery has 5 parts to it. I believe that on a given day, ie: Joyful mysteries on a Mon and Sat, you pray the whole rosary on just the joyful mysteries, but meditating on each point within it for each decade.

1. The Angel Gabriel announces to mary that she is to become the Mother of God.
(pray one decade)
2. Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth.
(prayer 2nd decade) and so it continues thru until you reach the 5th, within the joyful mysteries, and your full rosary is done for that particular day.

Of course you can pray all the mysteries if you like, and have the time, but I don't.
(and you mentioned 50, this sounds about right, I haven't added it up. There are 4 mysteries,with 5 parts to each, that's already 20 plus the Our Fathers, Glory be, Apostles Creed)

I think just concerntrating on the one mystery on that day, and praying the whole 5 decades on that one mystery is easier and not as confusing. I like to take the easier way also you keep you focus better on that particular mystery.

Hope this makes sense Jim and helps you out a little.

I am still on my learning journey too. Funny how you can grow up Catholic but know nothing about your religion. I am so enjoying my journey now, sounds like you are too.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Experiencer

Thanks, AE. The way you mentioned, of doing one type of Mystery (Glorious, etc.) and concentrating on each Mystery (Resurrection, etc.) is the way I'd been doing it.

I have no idea where I got the number "50": even if you did 5 (?) complete circuits of all 5 of each Mystery, each day, that still equals only 25.

Saying the Rosary completely every day, then, would be saying 5 decades each, of 4 different Mysteries: 4 circuits around the beads, of 5 decades, would be 20 decades a day.

Jim
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
Thanks, AE. The way you mentioned, of doing one type of Mystery (Glorious, etc.) and concentrating on each Mystery (Resurrection, etc.) is the way I'd been doing it.

I have no idea where I got the number "50": even if you did 5 (?) complete circuits of all 5 of each Mystery, each day, that still equals only 25.

Saying the Rosary completely every day, then, would be saying 5 decades each, of 4 different Mysteries: 4 circuits around the beads, of 5 decades, would be 20 decades a day.

Jim

Would the "50" just be the 50 Hail Mary's you would say to complete the rosary?
That's all I can come up with.
Enjoy your prayer time, peace and blessings.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Experiencer

That's probably where it came from, AE.

I have the sort of mind that remembers 1 or 2 details, and constructs things from there!

Jim