Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-01-2023, 12:33 AM
Experiencer

Christian Mystics do what?

What kinds of practices do Christian Mystics do?
Old 19-01-2023, 07:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
What kinds of practices do Christian Mystics do?

Christian Mystics seek an actual experience/communion with God , not just having the knowledge about God through Scripture. They practise contemplative prayer, meditation and fasting. Solitude and silence is extremely important in their practises that aim at the emptying of the 'self' in order to be filled with God. St Catherine of Genoa sums it up for me personally when She said,
' I am silently lost in God '....
Old 19-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Experiencer

I'm wondering what kind of meditational practices that they do. Whats the difference between Contemplative prayer and Meditation.. I read there were 2 different kinds of meditation Christian Mystics do. Pondering scripture I know is one but I dont know what the other is.
Old 19-01-2023, 04:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
I'm wondering what kind of meditational practices that they do. Whats the difference between Contemplative prayer and Meditation.. I read there were 2 different kinds of meditation Christian Mystics do. Pondering scripture I know is one but I dont know what the other is.
This may help,
https://liveanddare.com/contemplativ...an-meditation/
Old 23-01-2023, 11:58 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
This may help,
liveanddare.com/contemplative-prayer-and-christian-meditation/
Ask who should you follow. The words, instruction of Yahoa(YHWH) the heavenly father and by extensions these of his beloved son who was given authority to give life or that of a man who we can assume has not proven such capabilities.

In that site a quote of a man:
Quote:
Nothing pleases God more than a mind free from all occupations and distractions. Such a mind is in a manner transformed into God, for it can think of and understand nothing, and love nothing except God. He who penetrates into himself and so transcends himself, ascends truly to God.
— Albert Magnus (the “father of Christian mysticism”)
vs
The instruction of Yahoshua on prayer:
Quote:
Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors..."
Matthew 6:9-12
Quote:
"For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" Matthew7: 8-11

Neither is there "nothingness" or "understand nothing" is mentioned in these instructions.

It seems Albert Magnus (the “father of Christian mysticism”) puts his words into god's mouth claiming to know what most pleasing. It should be questioned which god is it. For in the bible even Aiob(Job in hebrew) among the most righteous from men(Izekiel 14:14, Job 1:8) was criticized for claiming to know Yahuah's intend, despite the suffering he was in, if correctly recalled.
Quote:
Matthew 15:8-9 Mark 7:6–7
"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."
Quote:
John 14:6
“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” 7 If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well.
or
Quote:
"contemplative prayer — which usually involves the silent repetition of sacred words or sentences, with focus and devotion"
liveanddare.com/contemplative-prayer-and-christian-meditation/
vs
Quote:
"7 `And -- praying -- ye may not use vain repetitions like the nations, for they think that in their much speaking they shall be heard, "Matthew 6:7

There are many definitions of what a mystic is. One of them involves the occult( a word for hidden), mostly used as a term for magic or sorcery which is the ways and/or works of demons and is forbidden. It can get you placed in the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8 ESV
"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death"

Bible quotes in regard to mysticism.
Deuteronomy 18:10-12
"There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Yahuah. And because of these abominations Yahuah your God is driving them out before you."

Leviticus 20:6 ESV
“If a person turns to mediums and necromancers, ******* after them, I will set my face against that person and will cut him off from among his people."

John 4:1 -" Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Timothy 4:1 ESV
"Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, "

If Christianity means these who follow Yahuha and/or his son, then there should be no such thing as christian mystic.

Quote:
"Apart from the differences in intention and worldview, the mechanics of contemplative prayer are somewhat similar to the Hindu mantra meditation; and sitting with God is similar to some meditations of bhakti yoga."
from liveanddare.com/contemplative-prayer-and-christian-meditation/

The ways, the faith given by Yahoah and his son are to be pure. Not mixed with other culture of other nations. Hinduism which the live&dare site mentions, stands in contrast to most of them and thus is a backward country with more death, deformity, poverty and likely injustice despite their technology. There babies are dropped to die from buildings and for decades its seems unchanged. It should be a note about not practicing their ways.
Old 23-01-2023, 06:55 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowwhatLies

In that site a quote of a man: — Albert Magnus (the “father of Christian mysticism”)
vs
The instruction of Yahoshua on prayer:

Neither is there "nothingness" or "understand nothing" is mentioned in these instructions.

KnowwhatLies,

IMO you omitted the most significant instructions that Jesus gave concerning prayer. They were the preceding verses in Matthew 6:6-8. Verse 6…”go into your room, close the door”. Your ‘room’ is your inner self….’closing the door’ is shutting out all exterior and interior thoughts. This being ‘still’ is the means for knowing God. This is true silent prayer…..not a word from your lips….not a word in your thoughts. This truly silent prayer is precisely the ‘nothingness’ that you said was not mentioned in the instructions.

It is only your ego that is speaking either by thoughts or words. God will not hear your prayer and think “Wow I had no idea that you loved me that much !”….or….” Wow I did not know you needed that !” The one prayer that caught the attention of Jesus was that of the Publican…..” Have mercy on me, a sinner”…..that is the prayer that says it all……..
Old 23-01-2023, 09:24 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Matthew 6:6-8. Verse 6…”go into your room, close the door”.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
caught the attention of Jesus was that of the Publican…..” Have mercy on me, a sinner”…..that is the prayer that says it all……..

IMO for right now, the second is definitely better. At least right up to the point where a lot of people start agreeing on it and it becomes another spoken mantra with the full force of society behind it... when it then becomes as much garbage as anything else you can point to right here right now until it again falls out of favor as a saying.

and i did note that going into ones room and closing the door leaves someone somewhat alone with god...
Old 23-01-2023, 09:39 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
IMO for right now, the second is definitely better. At least right up to the point where a lot of people start agreeing on it and it becomes another spoken mantra with the full force of society behind it... when it then becomes as much garbage as anything else you can point to right here right now until it again falls out of favor as a ...

FallingLeaves,

This is so true. Familiarity can destroy the epiphany. It is always interesting what new eyes can perceive…..someone that is out of the tradition can often uncover gems that escape our contemplation…….
Old 23-01-2023, 09:43 PM
Master

But few can reread the Bible(or anything else) with new eyes. Sadly it is often ‘one and done’………
Old 23-01-2023, 11:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
But few can reread the Bible(or anything else) with new eyes. Sadly it is often ‘one and done’………
I have to be seeking to find????? But if I already know what I want to find or even what there is to be found, how can I find anything other than that?????? And I'm often busy listening to people telling me what I will find or what I should seek... so how could it be otherwise?