Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 25-09-2022, 02:54 PM
Pathfinder

Is it possible to meditate too much?

Hi everyone. This is my first official post here. I think meditation is important to do but in moderation. If you're using it as a way to avoid waking life then I would say that's too much.
I don't think I do it too much but what are your opinions on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 25-09-2022, 04:32 PM
My input

Ha! I think you might be right; IF you have a job that needs you in a tip top mental state ---and what job doesn't? Lol
Yeah-- moderation.
Now, if you live in a monastic situation - monastery, hermitage, ashram--(as I did for years)
''go for it'', , meditate 6, 10 hours!
Your fellow residents won't mind if you're acting 'weird', anti-social at dinnertime...hahaha. OR they don't see you for days.

Why exactly would I say this? Because unless you are in a 'protected environment'...try living in the real world with worldly people ---
when you just had a visit from God or an angel, gurus may have materialized to you.
Can't relate?
People after their NDEs can have a very hard time fitting into the world again.
Deep, long meditations are not for the faint of heart...it's not just some recreation to find a little peace of mind, imo.
So yeah, meditate in moderation if that is the goal...a little peace.

Weekend retreats are good for being simple and allowing for long meditation, moderate food, no interruptions.
Then, adjust to the world again to be able to drive home safely.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-09-2022, 06:35 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningMoon
I think meditation is important to do but in moderation. If you're using it as a way to avoid waking life then I would say that's too much.
It also depends on your reasons for meditating.

Meditating for 30 minutes twice a day is great for becoming more calm and centred.

But doing long meditates takes it to a whole new level. I have sat in meditation for up to eight days - I could have sat longer but I had to go back to work. The mind becomes so quiet, and you enter states which may not be possible in short daily meditation.

Peace
Old 25-09-2022, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
But doing long meditates takes it to a whole new level. I have sat in meditation for up to eight days -...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-09-2022, 10:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningMoon
I think meditation is important to do but in moderation. If you're using it as a way to avoid waking life then I would say that's too much.

Hello ReturningMoon, welcome to SF!

There’s not much to add to what Miss H and iamthat have said. Addressing the issue of ‘avoiding waking life’ as you put it, I’d say it’s not negation but balance. Eventually boundaries blur between the external and internal, between the material and ethereal but to start with, with senses externalised, attention goes outward, looking at myriad objects. Duality. The singularity within is neglected, which is enabled in meditation or simply in silence.

Once the inner polarity of senses is awakened and thoughts are still, we learn to feel, vibrationally. The aspect of consciousness that says ‘I am the doer’ ~ it recedes and we opt to connect rather than to grasp, to flow rather than to control. An orientation shift. It’s not that the work in the material world is not done but then we know that we are not doing it, just as we are not breathing ~ we are being breathed.

I’d certainly say that our priority shifts. There is no need to do meditation per say (that’s my individual opinion of course) since doing needs a doer and there is no one here. So instead, we become attuned to the flow of divine energy itself, as it pulsates here and now, within us in the physical body.

There is of course the question of awareness. How aware are we, how mindful? We do go through waking, dreaming and deep sleep and even in the waking state, are we awake and if so, awake in what manner? Tamas or inertia makes us stuporous … Then, how do we respond to the flow of life, moment, to moment? What is the way in which we look at other forms?

So, to come back to your question ~ no, we’re not avoiding waking life but now we shift from separateness to interconnectedness and then to oneness.

As soul climbs to new highs
That that never was, dies

Old 26-09-2022, 02:09 AM
Master
What we call “moderation” for one person may be too much for another person. Moderation is a subjective term
which is determined by each person. I meditate twice a day for about an hour each time, that works for me but
may not work for someone else. People have to find what works for them.

Meditation is timeless so to put a time on it is arbitrary. People who live in an ashram or monastery may meditate
all day long, but their purpose for meditating may be different than that of a person out in the world working
40-hours a week or more.

My meditation experience guides me in my outer life, so I find it beneficial for living in this world to be in that
meditative experience as much as possible. To sit in meditation is one thing, to carry that experience received in
meditation with you throughout your day is another.
Old 26-09-2022, 03:08 AM
Master

Beautiful thoughts here. Thanks.
Old 28-09-2022, 02:39 PM
Experiencer
It depends on person to person. Some people will need to do it more than others. Why, I don't know. I believe in the end for all, is to no longer need to rely on it. I have a mentor that usually meditate all the time. 20+ hours a day. Only to stop to bathe, and do a two, and eat. He now no longer needs to meditate. I ask him why. He stated he is now at a constant state of calm and is compassion. His mind is now simultaneously over there and here. Always meditating there, while living here.
Old 28-09-2022, 04:00 PM
Master
How much is possible, practical or optimal within a given lifestyle... can't really say. Some is better than none.
Old 28-09-2022, 04:26 PM
Master

Truthfully if there was an ideal time to meditate it would have been discovered by now….:). People can only report that which is ideal for them. I learned something from a veteran baseball player. He said if one becomes tied to an unchanging routine is that that routine can become a superstition…….and that will become limiting and eventually can lead to failure.