Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 12-01-2021, 12:30 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Upon further contemplation I posit the best technique is that which best facilitates detachment of being from doership and ownership. I also posit it can vary by individual.

If one gains mastery physical and mental activity no longer carries doership and ownership and not only while engaged in formal practice.
I use the same technique but never knew it was called "Samedhi" It is so pleasant to be communicating with serious meditators that understand me a little.I started meditation while young but never studied it past my initial learning phase in the 1970's.I never felt any need to, as I appear to meditating correctly.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Master

Focusing on breathing is the "best" technique to reach quite fast a very deep state of inner peace.... Breathing is the link where the conscious mind and the subconscious meet, you basically have a direct line to your subconscious mind.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:14 PM
Newbie ;)

For longest time I've chased the "Empty mind" goal during meditation but after months of trying I had to stop because all I was able to achieve was a tense state of mind.

This failure made me look for some answers around the internet, and from all the answers I've found, the best definition for meditation was the one stating that meditation means to be focused on the present moment. This focus could be centred around breath or around any other present moment activity.

Mind discipline can be achieved through total calm or through focused attention. In my case focused attention is the method that works. I asses my meditation state based on my ability of seeing the indigo/violet lights in front of my closed eyes.

But still after so many months I am not sure if my way of meditating is correct or is just my way of mimicking real meditation.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki66
For longest time I've chased the "Empty mind" goal during meditation but after months of trying I had to stop because all I was able to achieve was a tense state of mind.

This failure made me look for some answers around the internet, and from all the answers I've found, the best definition for meditation was the one stating that meditation means to be focused on the present moment. This focus could be centred around breath or around any other present moment activity.

Mind discipline can be achieved through total calm or through focused attention. In my case focused attention is the method that works. I asses my meditation state based on my ability of seeing the indigo/violet lights in front of my closed eyes.

But still after so many months I am not sure if my way of meditating is correct or is just my way of mimicking real meditation.

Hi Loki, may I ask what method of meditation - specifically- you are using?
Old 14-01-2021, 03:56 AM
Newbie ;)

I do mostly focused meditation. I focus on affirmations and visualization. I focus on visualizing chakra energizing, balancing and cleaning. I focus on visualizing aura cleaning and healing. I practice focused affirmations. I focus on objects with open or closed eyes. I find a goal and I visualize and affirm it.
Old 18-01-2021, 08:01 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki66

What a clear and honest post, my compliments. Rest assured everyone goes through this resistance phase, the 'tension' plateau, trick is to get through asap, much as some never do..

Hard to give you advice without knowing more, however, for people who have a lot of resistance BUT can focus their minds to some degree tend to be highly mentally aroused, 'wired' by life, so you need to calm down before you meditate. Hyper arousal, a long with Acidosis is the curse of the modern world, but there are things you can do.

Helps everyone I've ever taught to do a solid 5mins of feeling 'Compassion' before you start. At the start you won't be able to do that genuinely so just go for a tremendous sense of 'relief', remember a time when you felt it if you can and just sit with the feeling. The is the classic advice to all Eastern mediation but is foolishly ignored in the West as folks think its ritual, 'religion' - its NOT, it the very BEST way to turn down the volume on your Ego, lower its control of your mind state.

Next the safe advice is focus on one of the key centres, reading your post again I'd say between your eyes. You do this by looking down you nose with half open eyes and adjust your focal length by pulling it in until you feel a slight tightness between your eyes, (usually this is a focus on the end of your nose) play around until you get it right. Then just breath slowly as you can, don't focus on anything, tip of you tongue pressed gently behind your front 2 teeth.

You pick a time to do this when you are sleepy, so 1st thing or last thing at night, however waking up at 3am and doing 40mins is actually the best way to remove hyper arousal as a factor.

Then just sit with it twice a day. The is the classic way to develop the skill of 'seeing the breath' in Zen, which will get you to the next stage fast.

Lastly FORGET about the light shows, they are a trick of your mind and lead countless people astray, lead them to zone out which is a mistake! When you see a pin hole of white/electric blue light or experience your thoughts as shadows moving in the background then pay attention, otherwise those lights are just there to distract you from your method, they actually 'are' the tension....

Good luck.
Old 18-01-2021, 03:26 PM
Master
About ‘techniques’, at the risk of being singled out as the nerd in the herd, I’d say that all practices imply an ego (identity) doing and therefore, by pursuing that programmed activity, we remain in a hypnotic trance orchestrated by the ego, which we ourselves feed by taking charge, as it were.

Who is the entity seeking attainment?

Let’s rephrase our dilemma. As a percentage of time of our waking (is waking actually dreaming, is another topic) state, where lies our affinity or prioritisation? To appraise this, we must be brutally honest.

Emptiness and stillness are graded shifts. Simply stated, thought, word and deed, aligned with conscience (universal mind) in an unbroken continuum.

The meditation ‘practices’ are steps ... interim steps, until meditation becomes an ever present flowing orientation, just like our breath ... which we don’t breathe ... we are being breathed. The same applies to the energy path, chakras, kundalini, consciousness expansion into the void etc.
Old 18-01-2021, 03:44 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
About ‘techniques’, at the risk of being singled out as the nerd in the herd, I’d say that all practices imply an ego (identity) doing and therefore, by pursuing that programmed activity, we remain in a hypnotic trance orchestrated by the ego, which we ourselves feed by taking charge, as it were.

Who is the entity seeking attainment?

Let’s rephrase our dilemma. As a percentage of time of our waking (is waking actually dreaming, is another topic) state, where lies our affinity or prioritisation? To appraise this, we must be brutally honest.

Emptiness and stillness are graded shifts. Simply stated, thought, word and deed, aligned with conscience (universal mind) in an unbroken continuum.

The meditation ‘practices’ are steps ... interim steps, until meditation becomes an ever present flowing orientation, just like our breath ... which we don’t breathe ... we are being breathed. The same applies to the energy path, chakras, kundalini, consciousness expansion into the void etc.

I've been called a nerd on more than one occasion. LOL!

But yes, there's practice and being and the techniques, if exercised properly and diligently, should lead from one to the other.

As a side bar I'll also note that's why chasing experience is a detriment. It tends to keep us locked into practice. Just let go of experience like any other distraction encountered during practice, unless I suppose one wishes to remain in perpetual Samadhi, at least as long as the body holds out.
Old 23-01-2021, 06:50 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
just like our breath ... which we don’t breathe ... we are being breathed.
I never here people say that ---except me!!!!!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-01-2021, 08:18 PM
Master
For me the simplest techniques are the best. Its easy for simple techniques to become un-noticeable, like focusing on your breathing during daily waking hours, walking meditation, or meditating while waiting in line at the grocery store, bank, etc. Meditation, in my opinion, should not just be something that is done in a session at certain times. To prolong our meditation experience we might try being constantly mindful of our mental and emotional location during the day, or even when we sleep. What takes us out of that experience?

The best time for me to do “formal” meditation is when I awaken from sleep before my mind kicks in, and a technique which I have done for decades is just to put my thumbs in my ears, to block outer sounds and help in turning my senses inward. Sit that way every day for ten to fifteen minutes. I am not concerned with my posture or doing Hatha yoga techniques.

They can be helpful but I have found it is simpler to just form a relationship with the silence. What you give your attention to will grow, and the silence will grow if you constantly give your attention to it throughout your day. It grows to a point where it is not in your head anymore, rather the silence encompasses your entire being, it grows beyond your head and you can feel that silence throughout your body and extending beyond your physical body. You can taste sweet nectar in your throat, flowing freely down from your head through your neck into the lower regions of your body with the growth of that inner silence. I do not doubt or question my meditation experience. My mind would love to get involved in such a discussion.

Deep silence can expand our consciousness, until we find that we are not in our physical body, rather our physical body is within us. It is within our own conscious presence. Meditation is always happening, it is a river that you consciously dive in. We do not meditate, our deeper greater being is in constant meditation, and with techniques we just join in that experience with our deeper being, and become one with it. It is a relationship, it is not a mechanical thing. We are talking about connecting with a living presence. How you relate to it will determine your interaction with it. For me it is not about quieting my mind as much as it is about nurturing inner silence. It is the most intimate experience a human being can have.