Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Deactivated Account
Aquiring a cat or cats!

I've got a lady from a local animal rescue centre coming to see me tomorrow because I've decided to adopt! I'd like a kitten but been told they prefer to send kittens off in pairs so will either need to take two or adopt one older cat. I'm still open either way. I'm so excited. Cats make such good companions
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Seeker
How exciting. I recently visited a cat shelter and could not make my mind up like you, and then the cost of two kittens was over £100.00 and that seemed wrong to me. When I got home a neighbour that had heard I was looking for a cat told me about a wild cat that the local authorities were trying to catch and well cut a long story short I have a wonderful cat now that virtually jumped into my arms!

Good luck, would love to know how you get on and share cat stories :)
Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Deactivated Account

Exciting news ! I wonder if the kittens would be siblings ? I can understand them wanting one to take both kittens then, to keep the family together. How about triplets ? Let us know what you decide to do.

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Experiencer
Starbuck, How exciting! I've volontureed for a few months for a cat rescue charity in the States and people like you are a God Sent! You have no idea how much good karma you attract by adopting a pet in need :)
Sunflower, shelters and animal rescue associations usually do charge a fee for pet's adoptions. It's basically meant to cover for the fees incurred by the pet when s/he was in their care : vaccines, surgery (spay/neuter), that kind of things. It's also a way to screen families and make sure that people really care about the pet. Kind of like to put off abusers, if you will. From what I know in the States, the adoption fee is about 30 to 50 dollars. So your 100 pounds for 2 kittens seems a little expensive but not extraordinary. Another reason why they were "charging" that much is that kittens are so easy to place in families, compared to adult pets... hence, more expensive to get? I don't know.
Starbuck, have you considered adopting an adult pet by the way?
I got my cat Charlie through my non profit, he was already adult but let me tell you I never regretted getting a grown up cat. He's sooooo amazing!
Here he is

Sans titre de par Lil Strawberry, sur Flickr

Instagram: Prananina
Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Sungirl

I adore our kitties, they make such great companions. 2 of ours are rescues.

I am sure you will find a lovely friend
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Deactivated Account

Charlie looks so cute, Ninoushka !

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Ascender
Starbuck, whatever you decide, I'm delighted that you chose to take care of an animal from a shelter.Blessings to you!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Seeker
Actually the kittens were far cheaper than the adult cats as they had so many litters in. The kittens were kept in pairs in the cages so they had a warm friend with them and so it would be splitting them up. For those too young the neutering would come later at a charge to the new owner on top of the fee.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Thanks everyone!

I'll let you know what I decide. I'm open to an adult cat although for various reasons I was leaning in the direction of a kitten. I think the centre prefer them to go in pairs so that they have company being so young rather than because they're siblings, although most of them are I think. I'm wondering whether the shelter would prefer I take an adult cat as I live by a road, although it's an estate road and not very busy. I never let cats out the front (only back garden) but some shelters can be quite particular.

This rescue centre charges £50 as an adoption fee which I feel is reasonable but anymore than that and I'd be more hesitant.

Hopefully I won't have to wait long. I've already bought a cat bed, scratch post, litter tray and food etc.

I'm looking forward to exchanging cat stories with you all

Nino - I love the pic of Charlie by the way - he's gorgeous!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Master
I love living with cat friends... they're good companions and some share their wisdom with you. I've found that cats don't need company while you're away like dogs do, so one could be enough. Two kittens though is a fun circus, for sure.

Xan