Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 29-05-2022, 12:34 PM
Master
Religions Talk of Pure LOVE - What exactly is that ?

What exactly is the Pure LOVE of which people and the various scriptures speak? I am often amazed at how nonplussed people are when this question is asked.

My understanding of pure LOVE is acting in the best interests of the beloved with no expectation of a return.

On a more inclusive level, LOVE is acting in the best interests of the TOTALITY (ALL) with no expectation of a return.

This goes far beyond the heart-fluttering sentimental concept usually associated with the word "love" (intentional lower case). There is too much of this lower-case "love" around which is often no more than a transactional love where something is expected in return on at least some level. Unselfish LOVE seems to be quite rare.

This leads to a very compelling question. HOW does one know what is in the best interests of the Totality in any given moment? There is a way (IMHO).

NOTE: While on the subject of LOVE, I recently noticed the DONATE button on the left side of the Spiritual Forums Home Screen. It dawned on me that the people who provide this FREE service are demonstrating pure LOVE as they expect nothing in return for providing this noble service to all who are drawn to it. I just made a donation to cover the reported cost for one month with no expectation of a return (except, perhaps, continued service so maybe it's not totally pure). I won't mention the monthly cost for operating this site but, if you click on the DONATE button, you will discover this for yourself and, perhaps, you may be inclined to donate whatever you can afford to help support this noble venture. No one here ever asks for a donation, but I have no shame in bringing this to everyone's attention since this is a very good example of pure LOVE.
Old 29-05-2022, 03:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
My understanding of pure LOVE is acting in the best interests of the beloved with no expectation of a return.

On a more inclusive level, LOVE is acting in the best interests of the TOTALITY (ALL) with no expectation of a return.

i kinda agree, a lot of the lovey-dovey stuff you hear people spouting is kinda self-serving. You can tell what is going on when they start talking about all the things they can get for themselves...

but sometimes when you dare love, not only do you not get a return, something you think is very negative might happen.

For example, jesus said that one of the great loves, is to be willing to lay down one's very life for another.

And then he followed that up by doing it.

But it doesn't have to be so extreme...

being able to do what you must, even in the face of no return or even of losing things you think you should have, seems to be one of the hallmarks of love. The world seems full of people saying what they can get and how they can get it, but taking a loss then wash rinse repeat seems more difficult.

The bible has more to say about what to look for...
Old 29-05-2022, 07:33 PM
Master
QUOTE 2 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves

... a lot of the lovey-dovey stuff you hear people spouting is kinda self-serving. You can tell what is going on when they start talking about all the things they can get for themselves...

... being able to do what you must, even in the face of no return or even of losing things you think you should have, seems to be one of the hallmarks of love.

That is exactly the point I was making. We're on the same page.
Old 29-05-2022, 11:09 PM
Master
Just to offer a slightly different perspective on it, I remember Adyashanti saying that the opposite of love isn't hate - it's fear. And I feel like he's so right about that, because whilst love naturally arises out of a state of vulnerability and openness, fear causes us to shut down, and that shutting down hardens our hearts and minds. But we can't get to love without first going through fear, and therefore it can require considerable courage and inner strength.
Old 30-05-2022, 07:05 AM
Master
Personally, I don't uppercase 'love' like there is a menial little love and the oh glory Love. I guess it has many forms, but I can't really see a 'glorified' type. I don't think one has to be all that loving to be generous, but 'expecting nothing in return' is the way. Hence, donations are 'for the benefit of others' more than being for what you got or will get. I think Admin are very generous because they want everyone to be happy and give a lot of time to service.
Old 30-05-2022, 07:56 AM
Master
There are many forms of love and I don’t subscribe to a particular one either.

From a self reflective practice, I’m sold on non attached and spontaneous arising, which aren’t controlled through thoughts of duty, attached needs, but rather it’s aligned in me clear and I’m prompted from this more authentic place within.

People often have suggested to me, non attached means its detached, but in fact non attached means it’s a very healthy love that loves freely without projecting into others what you need to find yourself, first.
Old 30-05-2022, 09:17 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
What exactly is the Pure LOVE of which people and the various scriptures speak?
Take away the 'objects' of love, the prefixes and the reasons.
"I have unconditional love for my wife because she cooks a mean steak and is great in bed."
Old 30-05-2022, 09:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
I’m sold on non attached and spontaneous arising, which aren’t controlled. I’m prompted from this more authentic place within. non attached means it’s a very healthy love that loves freely without projecting into others what you need to find yourself, first.
I don't know what spiritual special things there are, but I think love is an emotional attachment, which means you'll suffer a loss at some time, and needs also come into it, like an abandoned child is hurt and over time people get treated harshly and don't feel lovable anymore. The subject it too big for me, but just mentioning one little thing or another.
Old 30-05-2022, 09:50 AM
Master
@gem yes the subject if far too big but your right.

It all has to come to face yourself in, but only if your the one to look and notice such things. Sadly unless your aware it’s near impossible, until you are.

So people love as they know and only know, they get hurt, they hurt, they need so they seek. People give up on love too, because they probably reach a point it’s all too hard, too many hurts, far too many disappointments.

In some ways that’s a place of surrender.
Old 30-05-2022, 11:23 AM
Master
QUOTE 4 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Just to offer a slightly different perspective on it, I remember Adyashanti saying that the opposite of love isn't hate - it's fear.

But we can't get to love without first going through fear, and therefore it can require considerable courage and inner strength.

That's an interesting perspective and I have to think about that more. Adyshanti may have a point there.

Could you elaborate more on "we can't get to love without first going through fear". My sense of universal love came not from fear but from the realization that everything is interconnected ... a realization that arose during the out-of-body experience part of my near death experience. There was an eerie sense of oneness during that experience that didn't quite make sense at that time ... but it does now.