Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 19-10-2021, 04:56 AM
AbodhiSky

I think in the West spirituality was pretty limited to Christianity for a long time not counting the spirituality of the Native Americans. Then theosophy came into the United States through the Russian immigrant Helena Blavatsky. Her teachings were a mix of old Gnostic teachings, Buddhism, and Hinduism.

The general idea is "masters" were channeling, or teaching these ancient truths and higher spiritual teachings which would spread and usher in a new reality (new age) for humankind. A new age that would eclipse and replace the older religions of this world. Bring in a higher state of humankind.

Theosophy was established in New York City in 1875 with the founding of the Theosophical Society by Blavatsky and Americans Henry Olcott and William Quan Judge. Seems like that was the start of the new age "movement."

New age now is basically anything that is not traditional Christianity. It's really a broad category. Seems to me it is the metaphysical section of book stores. Everything in there. From angels to tarot to meditation, mindfulness, tai chi to zen and channeling and on and on.

But yea it's a threat to traditional Christianity so some would be against it. Christians say Jesus is the only way to God. New age types would say God is in all and God is for us to find on our own. God is everywhere and in everything. As close as our very self.

The simple answer why new age spirituality is thought of as bad is a religion like Christianity wants people to be dependent on them to find God. Like saying one needs to believe in Jesus, needs to be a Christian, needs to belong to a Christian church etc, to go to heaven, to find God. New age belief systems tend to say God has nothing to do with religion or churches.

Blavatsky said her teachings and theosophy was not a religion. Though later others did. It's interesting because Jesus, which Christianity is based on, was very critical of the religions of his day.

Christianity teaches occult type things are bad, and there is a lot of occult type stuff in the new age movement like talking to spirits, channeling etc.
Old 19-10-2021, 05:57 AM
Master
New Age can mean almost, if not 'everything'.
When you look at the various 'schools'/belief systems, there seems to be much overlap of beliefs.
In some ways, it looks like the various aspects of the Universe seem to mimic with the New Age movement.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 19-10-2021, 06:25 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyacey12
Oh that's right, forgot that there was a group named the fifth dimension. Should look up more about them, maybe I'll get some answers there

That song "The Age Of Aquarius" is a new age song for sure. Look at some of the lyrics:

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the mind's true liberation
Aquarius

Astrology is right there in the metaphysical section of bookstores too. Part of the new age movement. Hair (1979 Director
Milos Forman) is a great movie by the way though some of the songs and scenes are dated, I fast forward through them lol. I used to have the DVD but you can't get it anymore. Now days you have to stream or buy a digital copy on amazon. DVD's are old school. Every time I watched it I thought, would be a better movie now days deleting the going into the army (induction scenes) and the way too long trip/marriage dream sequence.
Old 19-10-2021, 07:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram8

Wow, that woman is so cringe…

I won’t even attempt to go through the whole list, but it’s the standard fundamentalist belief that anything that is not strictly part of your religion’s holy book is the work of the devil.

If you ask me, this is evil. Not New Age, but her. She spouts hatred and nonsense. If you don't believe me, just look at what has happened with Islamic state and their decision to wipe out the Yazidis, because they thought they were "Devil Worshippers", for having the gall to worship a different deity (based on an old South Indian Hindu deity called Murugan).

That is not to say that there are no evil or malevolent forces out there and that people cannot be deceived. Sure, that happens. It doesn’t invalidate a whole host of other belief systems and religions out there, which she basically just craps on, with no nuance or distinction whatsoever.

It just shows you how strong the brainwashing can be, when you are brought up with a particular set of beliefs and as in her case, live in an environment where only one set of beliefs is acceptable and there is no tolerance whatsoever for any deviation from that. If you want to know where that kind of thinking leads, just ask the Cathars, Gnostics, Yazidis or any other "heretic" sect that were wiped out by officially sanctioned beliefs.

This kind of closed-minded, fundamentalist fanaticism should be a thing of the past and the fact it still exists makes me ashamed to be human. We should have learned to trust, tolerate and love each other by now and not to condemn those with a different set of beliefs to our own.
Old 19-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Lorelyen

It isn't that it's bad as much as dubious.

We seem to live in an age of instant gratification. People clamour for easy answers to deep rooted problems and many turn to "the spiritual" in the hope of finding them.

They don't like hard work hence older traditions that need commitment, study and discipline are shunned.

- those older traditions get diluted, prostituted even, to the extent they're almost worthless. You find some tied to other cultures which are lifted right out of context; they're fine if someone is willing to do the study but populist literature doesn't help;

- anyone can publish/display anything on the internet. It's a snake-oil market. People will believe/follow stuff without even attempting to validate it but when questioned it falls apart. You find contradictions, false logic, false facts and dodgy 'scientific' analogies in abundance. It plays on the vulnerable and gullible, and sometimes is just a way of parting people and their money.

A few authors have become extremely rich on the backs of the vulnerable. And I'll never forget the "twin-flame matchmaker" at $400 a shot! A madam Sza Sza of sorts on the photo but probably some grubby weasel of a bloke licking his lips at the cash turning up as he rummages though the Ferrari catalogue!

Too often it leads to disappointment, confusion and delusion and doesn't promote spiritual/self-development. Looking at the nonsense about ego in the spiritual market place should be enough to put people off....if they bother to question it.

Old 19-10-2021, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
It isn't that it's bad as much as of limited value.

They don't like hard work hence older traditions that need commitment, study and discipline are shunned.
I just wanted to counter those points.
Naturally, *I don't know exactly what New Age can mean*...it's all over the map...but anything has limited value even
a tank of gas, full Communion with the Pope or going to Temple!

I think some so-called New Age 'things' involve a lot of hard work...it's part of the 'program'.

I could say going to Church on Sunday for an hour could be considered easy to many---as opposed to dedicating the time
and energy some New Age ideas or programs involve...seminars, thick books, meditation, repeating mantras,
buying things from Metaphysical stores, paying for readings... is astral projection New Age,
is past life regression hypnosis (?)...those take work,
finding Shamans for healings, doing Affirmations every day and the money$ spent to go see speakers! ...and so on.

I would say New Agers are seeking Awakening, by many names ---and 'they' know that's not easy!
This quote below is not so easy to practice:
"God is everywhere and in everything. As close as our very self." -AbodhiSky

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-10-2021, 08:51 AM
Master

@Lorelyen
I would distinguish between New Age beliefs, which I admit are sometimes a bit unhinged and deserve to be looked at with a critical eye versus the kind of hateful fundamentalist bigotry espoused by the erstwhile New Ager author mentioned above, who states unequivocally that all polytheistic/pagan religions are evil and the work of the devil (that would include all Eastern Religions, especially Hinduism), that Goddesses are just Christian Demons (Fallen Angels) posing as pagan deities, etc...

This sort of thinking is dangerous and can be used to justify violence against polytheists as has been often the case in History and still is in many parts of the world.
Old 19-10-2021, 09:20 AM
Lorelyen

QUOTE=Miss Hepburn: Post #26
"I just wanted to counter those points.
Naturally, *I don't know exactly what New Age can mean*...it's all over the map...but anything has limited value even
a tank of gas, full Communion with the Pope or going to Temple! "

Yeah, I edited that from limited value to dubious, having pondered a few 'discoveries'! Sorry :)

I think some so-called New Age 'things' involve a lot of hard work...it's part of the 'program'......is astral projection New Age,

I wouldn't have said so and that can take long and persistent practice for those to whom it doesn't come easily...including me.

I would say New Agers are seeking Awakening, by many names ---and 'they' know that's not easy!

especially to avoid delusion which also needs a certain mental stamina 'to confront' (as it were). For some, comprehending their emotions is difficult enough and many are happier avoiding the issue altogether, let alone get to the state of driving their own lives.

Some things need hard work admittedly but I doubt I'm alone in finding some of the published persuasive tactics misleading. Even Teal Swan can be out of order. Her instructive video on the third eye is misleading. Good stuff on the one hand but she concludes that the follower should achieve it in a couple of weeks. Some people need months and worry when it hasn't occurred after 'a couple of weeks.'
Just my view, though.
Old 19-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
... I doubt I'm alone in finding some of the published persuasive tactics misleading.
Just my view, though.
There are opportunists out there fleecing and deceiving/misleading people, yes!

Hi NoOne, liked that post above. :)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-10-2021, 09:53 AM
Lorelyen

QUOTE=NoOne Post #27
@Lorelyen
I would distinguish between New Age beliefs, which I admit are sometimes a bit unhinged and deserve to be looked at with a critical eye versus the kind of hateful fundamentalist bigotry espoused by the erstwhile New Ager author mentioned above....

This sort of thinking is dangerous and can be used to justify violence against polytheists as has been often the case in History and still is in many parts of the world.

Absolutely, and the trouble is, the naive do follow them.
The introduction is off-put enough and the only redeeming point is "The reality however, is that you never arrive at the point of true and lasting happiness, so you keep addictively seeking and searching."

Hence my belief that much of the New Age Industry can be misleading, in this case dangerous. The idea of addictively seeking and searching will hold valid only for the unawakened or those of a distorted spirituality - that you can survive in western society in a state of bliss. I've several times challenged that here.

Having said that, I've met a few retired people, comfy in their homes and no longer acquisitive who seem to enjoy inner peace.

But I can't agree with anything this author puts forth. A familiar name to me from her disgorging of tarot decks of dubious merit. Then there's her reliance of Biblical references when if she were awakened, she'd know that Constantine's Bible is a distortion to suit his power agenda.

Crikey, she's taking people up on the roof and spraying them with words. So many words.