Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Old 30-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Deactivated Account
I got the impression the three-sentence Quote rule was in the 'Rules' section....

I had already found the Copy and Paste two-sentence one, presumably introduced to stop idiots who like to copy large sections of text from wherever and then paste them pointlessly and obstructively in an active thread - I get that.

The three sentence one isn't a problem provided folk know how to use editing tools - it's not difficult - because the whole posting can initially be quoted, establishing the context of one's response, and then most of the quoted text can be deleted before posting the response. The way I showed earlier as an example.
Old 31-08-2021, 02:06 PM
hazada guess

I haven't been able to work out how to only quote 3 sentences . ,I just type in the part that I want to refer to.
Old 31-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
I haven't been able to work out how to only quote 3 sentences . ,I just type in the part that I want to refer to.
Sure that's ok...But just click Quote and the entire quote comes up, right?
Highlight all but the sentences you want, click Delete on your keyboard or Backspace...Voila! All gone but the 3 sentences!
Also if you would like say, 'from Post #37'.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 31-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
I haven't bee...............hat I want to refer to.

Highlight the piece or the sentences you want to get rid of, press and hold the full-stop / period symbol to add the dots and to show you've deleted some text - leave enough text to show what you're responding to - like I've just done above - job done!

Practice with a real posting then use the 'Preview Post' to see what it looks like. Keep fiddling about until you're happy with what you've achieved and then just discard the whole thing without posting it.
Old 31-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Quote:
I haven't bee...............hat I want to refer to
bobjob, the quote makes no sense chopping off words like you do. At least place one full sentence.
Nothing wrong with 3 full sentences.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 31-08-2021, 07:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
bobjob, the quote makes no sense chopping off words like you do. At least place one full sentence.
Nothing wrong with 3 full sentences.

That was just an example of how a member could thin out the number of characters, words, lines - or sentences. It's the same same principle whichever and you could easily leave one sentence or three sentences.

For me it makes no sense in routinely thinning sentences anyway but it's what's decreed so it's what I do.

blessings
Old 01-09-2021, 06:33 AM
hazada guess

Thanks for the help Miss Hepburn and bobjob.Problem solved,I'll do that next time I need it.
Old 17-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Master
I find this rule highly annoying and I don't see the point of it either.
Oftentimes you want to react to the whole lot of a previous posting but with 3 sentences the essence gets lost and there's no point in replying at all anymore.
OR you have to create 3 line quotes within your reply again and again which is awfully time consuming and annoying.

If it has to do with server space... get rid of old topics or get more server space.
Many people have coughed up money, so much that we were told it was enough for years. Then the least you can do is make sure we can use the forum normally.
And implement the policy -which can be automatically done even- that older & inactive topics get removed.
Old 17-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
I find this rule highly annoying and I don't see the point of it either.
Oftentimes you want to react to the whole lot of a previous posting but with 3 sentences the essence gets lost and there's no point in replying at all anymore.
OR you have to create 3 line quotes within your reply again and again which is awfully time consuming and annoying.

If it has to do with server space... get rid of old topics or get more server space.
Many people have coughed up money, so much that we were told it was enough for years. Then the least you can do is make sure we can use the forum normally.
And implement the policy -which can be automatically done even- that older & inactive topics get removed.

Yes it's annoying and may not solve problems so much as creating them for active members. But we have to do what's decided by those charged with operating the website and there are easy-enough workarounds.

I doubt it makes any more than a scrat of difference to file size hence server storage space but I'm in no position to be able to substantiate my doubts.

How the website operates is the province of those with that responsibility. We're privileged we get to use this wonderful resource without charge - FREE! Let's reflect on that, eh?
Old 17-10-2021, 11:46 AM
Ascender
There are 2M posts, and most of them are old and in inactive threads.

What people do sometimes is that they take out of their website everything which dates more than xx months, put it in a archived section still available for reading only, and only run the software with the new posts and threads.

That would mean exporting the old threads to a static site. Then deleting the old content from the forum. Maybe vBulletin has got that functionality.

Ha, actually the static site already exists.
https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/archive/

Admins, do you know if you can delete a thread without deleting from the archive? Maybe "archiving" a thread would just do that?