Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 29-01-2024, 04:35 PM
Newbie ;)

Angel1 A question

Hi Folks,

I was hoping someone here might help me out with a question. I love Ramana Maharshi and one of the things he is famous for saying is, "You are not the doer." I understand this from the perspective of non-duality. But my question is, how does this work with reincarnation and working through our karma? We are "doers" in that sense, right? We're trying to make good choices and do good things. So how does that fit with Ramana Maharshi saying we are not the doers? Appreciate any thoughts you might have on this. Thank you!
Old 29-01-2024, 05:44 PM
Ascender
Taking inspiration from the Gita, i say why bother about karma.
Old 29-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presence
... how does this work with reincarnation and working through our karma? We are "doers" in that sense, right?
...So how does that fit with Ramana Maharshi saying we are not the doers?
Oh boy - so many ways how to talk on this are going on in my head!
It's an exciting question. And so many will come at it from all directions - which will be fun. :)
Ramana understood, through his direct exp, that All is One...there is Only One. Many have exp'd this, also.
Ramana was ready to maintain it, tho! :)

We, (ok, following Forum parameters:''IMO")..we seem or appear as individual beings...and we are - 'sort of'. We aren't puppets.
I wrote 4 more paragraphs I deleted - this is an enormous topic and can get very involved...it's like covering:
Why do we exist? What are we doing here? Who is the Creator? What is His purpose?

It could be a Chapter of pages in a book.
Maybe someone could take over from here? LOL!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 29-01-2024, 07:03 PM
Master

as far as not being puppets go...

i find that i normally have this 'feeling'. The particular feeling I have means I am being a 'doer' and sometimes I emphasize that by 'doing difficult stuff'.

but i can easily get into a state where I have another 'feeling' entirely. It is like, I'm being moved by outside forces, not having my own volition. That is interesting too. Although some might protest and call it the motion of 'demons' for example...

But, depending on which feeling I choose as 'THE ONE TRUE FEELING (TM)' and try to avoid the other I'm going to tell you completely different stories about the relationship to myself and reality.

In one case I'm going to say everyone is doing stuff and can never stop; in the other case I'm going to say noone is doing anything and can ever start.

And I'm of course going to base my future activities on what I've just chosen to say... and base my relationships with others on what I've chosen as well.

But I never see that I have a choice that I can accept both, because I know the idea of 'THE ONE TRUE FEELING (TM)' reigns supreme....
Old 29-01-2024, 08:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves

but i can easily get into a state where I have another 'feeling' entirely. It is like, I'm being moved by outside forces, not having my own volition. That is interesting too.
It's very interesting and I know exactly what you mean through my own experiences. I personally think it's the 'unconscious mind' which is inaccessible to the 'conscious mind' but influences our judgement and behaviour. Just my opinion though.....
Old 29-01-2024, 09:05 PM
Ascender
FallingLeaves and sky, both science and Lord Krishna agree with your experiences. In science, yes decision making has been theoretically considered deterministic but then they have done experiments and found that the decision is already formed in the unconscious mind before the person decides. And Lord Krishna:
https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...10&postcount=8
It's a relief to me that the show is being run by God, everything is perfect.
Old 29-01-2024, 09:46 PM
Ascender
I got back to reading my book and coincidentally this came up, i too am reading it for the first time, i guess i'm supposed to share it with you guys:
Quote:
The rishis are the puppeteers, and all other beings in the universe, mortal and immortal, are their puppets. The rishis go around creating rnas for people to work off, to bind people down and help them progress. If you want to quit being a puppet, you must perform sadhana.
"rnas" mean debts of karmas. "rishi", i can't define these great beings but i guess "seer". "sadhana" = spiritual practice.
Old 29-01-2024, 09:57 PM
FL, What does (TM) mean here? All I can think is - it is a Transcendental Meditation phrase?
Thanks Kralaro - cuz I had never seen the word 'rnas'.

KARMA - My take: In order for us to go Home or back to the bosom of the Divine where we came from, our Source
or Heaven...etc...
we must be pure of so many things like distractions and desires that have to be 'smoothed out'.
I think of us as a rough rock...tumbling in the ocean until it is SO smooth...the 'tumbling'
is our diff lives as we smooth out our rough edges. Yay.
(Never a punishment, I will add.) Smooth being a metaphor for pure or purity.

I am aware this has not yet explained the 'Why?'....why is there this tumbling towards purity, called karma in diff lives,
when we are not really the 'doer'?
That's a bit more advanced....maybe someone else will step in.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 29-01-2024, 11:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
FL, What does (TM) mean here? All I can think is - it is a Transcendental Meditation phrase?
i was trying to be funny but fell flat on my face lol... I was meaning it as 'trade mark'.
Like 'the one and only true feeling that I only want to feel forever, trademark' lol...
Old 30-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
i was trying to be funny but fell flat on my face lol... I was meaning it as 'trade mark'.
Like 'the one and only true feeling that I only want to feel forever, trademark' lol...
I see, thanks. Went over my head.
You could try (TM)...might work better, but when it is actually Trademarked. :)