Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 11-04-2023, 02:40 PM
Master
What actually is Pride?

It is called the cardinal sin. But what actually is it? In my heart I feel that I am too proud, but am not sure in what way.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Master
Pride

A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association.
Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.

Take your pick

Celebrate who you are, and acknowledging your uniqueness, and your differences as gifts and strengths.
Imo it is how you use your pride that can make it negative......
Old 11-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Master

Great comments Sky.

The first two lines of your comments show that pride can be a very positive trait but of course the last line says something quite different. When arrogance and haughtiness plays a big role in your pride then obviously it will be detrimental to you. But apart from that, cant see a problem with it myself.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Great comments Sky.

The first two lines of your comments show that pride can be a very positive trait but of course the last line says something quite different. When arrogance and haughtiness plays a big role in your pride then obviously it will be detrimental to you. But apart from that, cant see a problem with it myself.
Equanimity.... one of my favourite words
Old 11-04-2023, 06:21 PM
My take

Pride. There are many ways it manifests...1 not bad at all...and the other a hindrance to ourselves and, ha, relations.

What is it when a little boy jumps off a dock and screams ..."MOM! Did you SEE that!?" That's pride -
natural in our development here.

But, what is it when pride gets us into an argument that we are right?

When you boil that down ...on the unconscious level it is always fear.
Fear?
How could it be fear?
We have fear of abandonment ...if we are not right, if we are proven wrong ...we might be
left, mocked even 'abandoned'.
Comes from our core abandonment issues as babies...we are dependent totally on another for life.

I didn't just make that up..comes from therapists.
Eastern traditions (Vivekananda) says there are 2 doors into the mind, (the Mind being the source of turmoil,
separation, delusions and suffering, that is)
The back door is guilt ---the front door is pride.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Molearner

First, as a warning and without apology, I am anti pride…..😊😊. Pride, for me, is a sign of ignorance. I would suggest that 99.9 % of our usage of ‘pride’ should more truthfully be replaced by ‘thankfulness’. Anyone that is accomplished or successful has a very long line of both people and circumstance to thank for their unique position…..
Old 11-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Master

This is about the biblical meaning of "pride", not about how the word could be used today. It is about the meaning of "the admonition behind the phrase", not even about the word that was used.

From this perspective, I believe that the admonition against "pride" means: know that you don't know, in all situations!

You see / hear everywhere people sententiously dispensing opinions, many of them honestly having no idea they are mistaken. That is "pride" as a sin, and it is detrimental to them, to their growth.

I don't think that this is about how one sees himself relatively to others, but about how one sees himself.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:51 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
not even about the word that was used.
From this perspective, I believe that the admonition against "pride" means: know that you don't know, in all situations!
You see / hear everywhere people dispensing opinions, many of them honestly having no idea they are mistaken. That is "pride" as a sin, and it is detrimental to them, to their growth.
inavalan,

This, of course, is a definition of ignorance. “Forgive them for they know not what they do”…..ignorance…..and can be understood as ‘ignoring’ God….if it was not a sin forgiveness would have no application…..
Old 11-04-2023, 09:25 PM
Master
"This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” Matt. 3:17.2.

"Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation." Cor. 7:4.

Pride can be positive or negative, healthy or unhealthy, but I personally do not see it as a 'sin'..... Used in the correct way it can be beneficial to oneself and others.
Imo.....
Old 11-04-2023, 09:31 PM
Master

when you have pride ( in the biblical sense) you are in some ways attempting to lift yourself up. And this comes at the expense of feeling like you are 'better' than others. Which is anti-love.