Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 18-04-2022, 09:20 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
The ego doesn't like meditation.
Not the meditation itself, no, but if there us status to gain in the meditation then yes. If someone is sitting there thinking "Yeah, I'm so Spiritual because I'm meditating" that bolsters the ego. The ego can like Spirituality for the same reasons. As Jung said, the ego is "A sense of I am." Thinking that "I am meditating" and simply doing it are two different beasties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRDy4M5jI-g
Old 18-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Not the meditation itself, no, but if there us status to gain in the meditation then yes. If someone is sitting there thinking "Yeah, I'm so Spiritual because I'm meditating" that bolsters the ego. The ego can like Spirituality for the same reasons.
Interesting video thanks for sharing, just watching it atm. Yes that is true
for sure, I'm the meditator and I can do it and I am great at it and all that stuff yes definitely. I think meditation hits deeper
programmes though that have been set up by ego perhaps ? I have definitely had the experience of material or thought
material streaming by as I watched in meditation, stuff rising from the unconscious very jumbled at times and very different
from normal thoughts, frightening as well.

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 18-04-2022 at 08:13 PM. Reason: 2-3 sentences only when quoting others
Old 18-04-2022, 08:22 PM
Three sentences tops when quoting others.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-04-2022, 07:50 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
I think meditation hits deeper programmes though that have been set up by ego perhaps ?
Yes it does. It's worth spending a little time stepping back from thoughts and 'regular' mind processes, and depending on your own mind it might take a little 'training' to keep it in context. Otherwise it can feel left out of the process and get in the way. It's interesting when you experience your thoughts instead of thinking them yourself. Meditation id beyond all that and for me personally, it feels as though I've gone through a frequency shift when leaving those brain/mind processes behind. And there's quite an interesting place beyond meditation too.

The difference is being awareness itself rather than having a sense of 'I am.'

The 'problem' with all this is that the ego can take a back seat, and it's not something most folks are used to. One of the things the ego does is provide a focus for a frame of reference, having the ego collapse temporarily can leave you feeling like a spaceman adrift. It also collapses the barriers between the conscious and the unconscious, which is where your scary stuff comes from.

The stuff that's in your unconscious is the 'raw you', it's unfiltered. It's also symbolic in the way dreams are, so what you can experience is more of a waking dream in that what would normally come through when you are asleep comes through when you're dreaming. And yes, delving into the depths of your psyche isn't for that faint of heart.
Old 21-04-2022, 08:32 AM
Master

Quote:
The stuff that's in your unconscious is the 'raw you', it's unfiltered. It's also symbolic in the way dreams are, so what you can experience is more of a waking dream in that what would normally come through when you are asleep comes through when you're dreaming
Yes I think viewing our 'creaturliness and our ego' whether they be higher
or lower is necessary and humbling and also loving. Awareness is transformative so they say.
It's not so much that 'I am' is not there, it's there alright but not in the way that the ego has calculated.
The ego wants the 'I am' just to be there for it's own ends and designs and the 'I am' loves all things including
the ego manifestation but it's not going to be corralled anytime soon, the 'I am' smiles at the ego's antics.

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 21-04-2022, 08:52 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Yes I think viewing our 'creaturliness and our ego' whether they be higher or lower is necessary and humbling and also loving.
In the Freudian model there is the id, the ego and the superego. The id is the 'base' human while the superego, since it's a Spiritual forum, equated to the 'higher ideals' of Spirituality. Freud says that mental health aberrations happen when the balance is tipped one way or another. This certainly comes through in Spirituality.

Your ego is your sense of 'I am' and your ego is as much a part of you as your Spirituality. Mine too by the way. And this is where the Freudian model gives an understanding, because ignorance is not bliss it's what bites you on the backside.

"The evil ego made me do it." It's not Spirituality its superstition.
Old 21-04-2022, 12:23 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Your ego is your sense of 'I am' and your ego is as much a part of you as your Spirituality.
I'd say ego appropriates that inner "knowing" as its own, one example being "I Am conscious". I'm a little mind-body over here and the entire cosmos is out there. Duality. Separation. It's ego that enforces that worldview of boundary and separation.

Can one ultimately be what one is aware of? Can one be aware of ego? From that perspective mind, including ego, is just another object of consciousness.
Old 22-04-2022, 12:41 AM
Master
Kind of funny.

I dont know who I am.

I am going to ask myself who I am. So who am I going to ask?

Last edited by Ewwerrin : 22-04-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old 22-04-2022, 04:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Interesting video....
...as well.
Always, when focusing on a consistent sound or consistent tone in meditation and holding your awareness consistently and undistractedly upon the sound, quiets the mind. clears it empties it and also the emotions allowing for greater receptivity of source consciousness of more positive emotion and well being.
Old 22-04-2022, 06:31 AM
Master

Quote:
In the Freudian model there is the id, the ego and the superego. The id is the 'base' human while the superego, since it's a Spiritual forum, equated to the 'higher ideals' of Spirituality.

It's hard to know what to say about Freud. We all know his basic postulates, I myself like the common man know
the basics of his theory but not much more. First thing reading your post is being reminded of how grounded and
solid that basic triage of the id, ego and superego is. It's like an old piece of engineering. Jung's theories, on the other hand,
seem to flow more freely into the amorphous and endless pastures of spiritual development. Some think it's good and some bad.
I think both Freud and Jung agreed on the idea of 'repression'. Why repression and how repression takes place and what are the
symptoms of repression or it's manifestations in anyone's life. Freud's theories of the id, ego and superego have a certain holistic ism
about them that I never saw before you mentioned it. I'm guessing they are relative to each other too, one aspect doesn't make sense
without the other but maybe that can be said about most theories. The 'I am' i mentioned in my last post, is the 'I am' mentioned
say in Zen Buddhism as the Small Mind and the Big Mind. I think folks use the term 'I am' interchangeably to mean ..the ego identity
or the Buddha/Buddha Mind. As you say Freud used the ' I am' to designate the ego.

Last edited by Joe Mc : 22-04-2022 at 08:01 AM.