Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 03-04-2022, 12:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I said earlier on there is a reason we go for the feeling at the nose as opposed to feeling the breath moving the belly or torso etc.
In the Anapanasati Sutta as taught by The Buddha there is no mention of feeling the breath in the nose

This may help you.

Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' [3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.'[2] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire body.' [4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

What works for one might not work for others, best to try for yourself and see what helps as did HB and has found progression in His own way....

When you mention there is a reason ' We go ' who is the ' We' ? as The Buddha isn't included.....
Old 03-04-2022, 12:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
I'm not saying your way won't be effective for some people, I'm just saying it might not necessarily be the best approach for everyone.
I'm happy if anyone can critique the method described and point out where it contradicts itself, but I'm pretty confident it's consistent and rely on readers discerning for themselves if it is logical, consistent, congruent, makes sense, adds up. Only on that basis decide if it has enough merit to try it out. In your case, not, because you're further along into body awareness, but what I'm describing can still add precision and refinement to anyone's breath awareness practice. Otherwise, if it's illogical and inconsistent, it's worthless - just discard it.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:52 PM
Master
' With your closed eyes you need to focus in the trainagular area between lips and forehead. The breath is observed with closed eyes through the touch it makes inside the nasal cavity.'
https://gurmeet.net/spiritual/breath-meditation/

The Buddha according to the Anapanasati Sutta taught differently and never mentioned the nose/nasal cavity.....
Which way is the correct way ?
The one that works for you imo.....
Old 03-04-2022, 02:24 PM
Master
I never knew that meditating was so difficult.........

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 03-04-2022, 03:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I never knew that meditating was so difficult.........

It isn't but some like to make it difficult When the body and mind become one 'Entity' your Meditating, simple... all the rest are bonuses.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I never knew that meditating was so difficult...
Is it easy for you, BigJohn?

I think it's a lot like going in for a swim...the first minute it's not pleasant,
it's SO darn cold...THEN....Ah, its super great, no one can get you out!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 04-04-2022, 04:10 AM
Master
It's easy in principle, just feel the air at the nose, but it's also nuanced as it reflects deeply on all the aspects of one's life. Some aspects are disconcerting such as being entirely alone to discern, and I think when someone starts the practice it's not going to be pleasure throughout the body, rapture and all the lovely things. The suttas don't say your legs are going to hurt, or your back is going to ache or your butt cheek is going to go to sleep or you're going to get impatient, bored, uncertain, doubtful and have various self defeating thoughts, so I'm just talking about real things for real people and I'm not going to say it isn't hard. It's a very arduous undertaking.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
The Buddha according to the Anapanasati Sutta taught differently and never mentioned the nose/nasal cavity.....
The Pali is translated to feeling the breath at the front and Buddhists claim this means the front of the face, like a mustache and so forth. Im no Pali scholar so I can't really say, but scholars all over the internet are talking about it, which to me doesn't matter. If you think my reasons or feeling breath at the nostril makes no sense, then you can explain why it makes no sense. Point out the contradiction. If there isn't a contradiction and the logic stacks up, then you can discern, like, huh, makes sense, I see how this could work. Otherwise, just discard it.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The Pali is translated to feeling the breath at the front and Buddhists claim this means the front of the face, like a mustache and so forth.

I'm referring to the Anapanasati Sutta which doesn't mention nose/nasal cavity.... [1] Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.'.... etc:

The Buddha did not teach to observe the breath at the nose tip but Mr Goenka does so whatever works for you is the way to go....
Old 04-04-2022, 06:32 AM
Master
For people who find discerning by reason difficult and require authoritarian confirmation, there are no end of monks spruiking breath awareness at the nose on-line. I went ahead a looked up a few. None I found actually explain it. Although this guy doesn't explain by giving the reasoning behind it, he mentions the nose and nostrils 18 times (word search 'nos').

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...mma/bl115.html

This link should in no way be used to confirm nor validate anything I said about this meditation. I stand by reason alone, and you need to stand only by your own discernment.

I am providing the link so you can word search 'nos', but please don't use someone who demonstrates no real understanding to validate someone who does. I would consider that offensive (though I wouldn't actually be offended ).