Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2021, 06:02 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
I really think everyone is born with the same gift's. Our upbringing and experiences eventually outline certain strengths and then we choose to study and focus on whatever works best for us as individuals. There are so many things that are the same but are just worded different.
I believe to put labels on anything spiritual or whatever you want to call it. Is only human to label. There's thousands of different brands, types /labels of tomatos. But when you strip away all the labels. It's still only a tomato.

Spiritists and Spiritualists actually know what they subscribe to and why.
Occasionally an odd well-read individual may also understand the differences. (not many)

Everyone else is likely guessing or banging on about some other subject altogether.
Old 29-05-2021, 12:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
I really think everyone is born with the same gift's. Our upbringing and experiences eventually outline certain strengths and then we choose to study and focus on whatever works best for us as individuals. There are so many things that are the same but are just worded different.
I believe to put labels on anything spiritual or whatever you want to call it. Is only human to label. There's thousands of different brands, types /labels of tomatos. But when you strip away all the labels. It's still only a tomato.

Can you imagine a 'Christian' going to a 'Christian Church' and begin speaking about Jesus is the son of God, the First Born only to find out, that 'Church' firmly believes Jesus is God?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 29-05-2021, 07:14 AM
Master
If a person is in a Spiritualist Church and they are asked to do message work: what happens, in some cases, if they speak about reincarnation?

Depends on the Church but in the worst case scenario, they may be rudely asked to stop and sit down.

This thread is about Spiritist and Spiritualist. For the most part, most people could care less how some define them but when the issue comes up, for example the issue mentioned in the previous paragraph, it can become a wide awakening event.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 29-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Master
The words Spiritist and Spiritualist mean different things to different people. I highly suspect, the word Spiritist, a valid word, is a word most people have had very little if any contact with.

Old 29-05-2021, 07:57 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The words Spiritist and Spiritualist mean different things to different people. I highly suspect, the word Spiritist, a valid word, is a word most people have had very little if any contact with.

Oh, BJ - we've been down this path many times before..... I think you're being mischievous again.

It doesn't MATTER if (quote) ......The words Spiritist and Spiritualist mean different things to different people. or (quote) .....the word Spiritist, a valid word, is a word most people have had very little if any contact with.

In this forum under this category it's not to do with folk being muddled. Neither is there any justification for bringing into this forum aspects of the Christian religion.

Take a look, please, at the forum title and the category. The forum is 'Spritualism' and it's housed in the category 'Religions & Faiths'. Modern Spiritualism is a religion formally recognised and registered in many parts of the world. So it belongs under this forum's umbrella category.

It isn't 'spiritualism' - the catchall word for anything to do with 'being spiritual' or to do with 'spirituality' etc. No it was to enable conversations about the religion and philosophy of Spiritualism that this forum was created for. (or 'Modern Spiritualism' as I often present it to try to prevent the ever-present ambiguity)

I know all that because many years back I pressed for this forum's creation.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:49 AM
Deactivated Account
How It Began

The opening posting of this thread reads : "Those reading this probably will consider themselves a Spiritualist but I suspect they really are Spiritist. Please discuss." So let's do that, should we? But first a preamble, an important one I think......

It's unfortunate that nearly two centuries ago the pioneers of a new movement - one that has its roots in the USA incidentally - chose an ambiguous word as the name for their new movement. Oh how I wish they'd chosen more wisely!

Some years ago - long before many of the current members were around - I presented a case for this website having a page for that religion. A forum for (Modern) Spiritualism or 'Spiritualism' for short. I pressed for it every occasion I could and in time this forum was introduced and placed appropriately under the umbrella category it's in. Most members won't know that I suspect.

As I said earlier, I wish the pioneers had chosen its name more wisely because without the upper case 'S' it becomes a word with an altogether different meaning - spiritualism isn't, though, Spiritualism. As I said earlier, an ambiguous word and to this day it continues to cause difficulty.

The essence of (Modern) Spiritualism is survival and its demonstration by way of mediumship - period. The essence of Spiritism is much the same, incidentally. Adherents of one will not have persuasions much different from adherents of the other. Beyond that either one can be as complex as individuals choose to make it but the fundamentals remain unaltered.

Many of those who see themselves as Spiritualists or as Spiritists know all that and it's mainly others who get confused.
Old 29-05-2021, 02:11 PM
Master
"The Poughkeepsie Seer" probably had a lot to do with the name Spiritualism. I suspect the answer might be buried in the The Great Harmonia.

Old 29-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Master
Spiritualism has changed over the last 1 and 1/2 centuries so much that it hard to discern how it actually got started. It seems it played a major role in the Women's movement but neither parties seem to acknowledge that.

Then Spiritism came on the scene which muddled what Spiritualist used to believe.

Before Spiritism came on the scene, Henry Olcott contributed a lot to Spiritualism, especially his great book "People from the Other World" which was written on the cusp of him funding the purse for the newly formed Theosophical Society in which he was their first President. That society is instrumental for bringing forth Buddhism to the West which had/has an influence on Spiritualism.

Old 29-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazada guess
I know a lot of Spiritualists that believe in Reincarnation,yet I don't know of any *spiritists*.

I know a lot of Spiritists that believe in reincarnation ... but I don't know any "Spiritualists".

We complement each other.
Old 29-05-2021, 03:11 PM
Master
QUOTE 42 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
My experience is that I'm only occasionally the soul someone needs.

You were definitely the soul that I needed when I started to explore Spiritism.

It's nice to see you here.
Closed Thread