Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 26-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Ecthalion

I killed a duck

Yesterday, on a whim I decided to drive to the local shop. The journey was not necessary- just for a non-essential treat. Anyway, whilst I was driving a flight of ducks took to the air from the side of the road about twenty feet in front of me. I braked but could not stop or even slow down enough and I saw one and the look of fear/surprise on its face as it hit my windscreen. I did not see it in my rear-view mirror and so I hoped that it had not been badly hurt. Alas, on my return journey I saw the unfortunate creature lying dead in the road - flattened by another vehicle.

I am an animal lover and a vegetarian. The knowledge that I killed this animal fills me with guilt even though it was accidental. If only I had not gone to the shop. If only I had been driving a little more slowly. I know this is stupid. Why should I feel guilty for accidentally killing an animal when meat eaters are intentionally responsible for thousands of animal deaths yet feel no guilt whatsoever. Still, I can't help it.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:11 PM
somnium

It is not stupid to feel guilt, and you shouldn't gauge your actions against the thousands of meat eaters. Just because someone else does it doesn't make it right for you. You obviously hold a higher value of life than other people, and that is nothing to feel ashamed about, in fact it is a more enlightened point of view. Life is a miracle.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Master
well, you could comfort your self knowing that some hungry meat eater, like a raccoon or a possum, had a nice duck dinner. maybe your accidental killing of the duck saved a litter raccoon kits from going hungry last night. Nature doesn't waste anything.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
Yesterday, on a whim I decided to drive to the local shop. The journey was not necessary- just for a non-essential treat. Anyway, whilst I was driving a flight of ducks took to the air from the side of the road about twenty feet in front of me. I braked but could not stop or even slow down enough and I saw one and the look of fear/surprise on its face as it hit my windscreen. I did not see it in my rear-view mirror and so I hoped that it had not been badly hurt. Alas, on my return journey I saw the unfortunate creature lying dead in the road - flattened by another vehicle.

I am an animal lover and a vegetarian. The knowledge that I killed this animal fills me with guilt even though it was accidental. If only I had not gone to the shop. If only I had been driving a little more slowly. I know this is stupid. Why should I feel guilty for accidentally killing an animal when meat eaters are intentionally responsible for thousands of animal deaths yet feel no guilt whatsoever. Still, I can't help it.

Firstly, it was an accident. Sadly, these things happen. You are blameless.

Why do you feel 'guilty'? Because your heart is kind and caring, and unlike others you are spiritually awakened and perceive the oneness of all life, so the loss of one of God's creatures is something to you, whilst to others it is nothing.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 26-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
There is nothing wrong in feeling the way you do. You feel that way because you are very aware of being alive in this world with a variety of Souls, all in different forms, but all of equal value. To you it's not 'just a duck', and that is a beautiful mind-set.

But it is also true that events happen sometimes we do not have 100% control over. You had control about driving to the shop...how fast you drove...etc. But you did not have control over those ducks, when they would fly...where they would fly...how fast, etc, or even whether they would be on your route or not. So you were not engineer of the entire event.

But you have consciousness and compassion, and I give you a big hug because that means a lot. I wish there were more people in the world like you!

The duck will pass into the spirit world. Send it love and a prayer, in joy and light, not with sorrow now. That won't be wasted.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Ecthalion

Thank you all, especially Tobi. That is a lovely thought.
Old 26-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Mazulu

Some hungry rednecks probably stopped, picked up the ducks, when home and had a wonderful duck dinner. Yummy!
Old 26-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Once, when my Misty (dog) lived with me, I accidentally killed a pheasant. I was not even driving fast...was on a narrow country lane on some bendy bits of the lane, driving very carefully just there. As I came around a bend the pheasant shot out of the hedge unexpectedly and was killed instantly by my car. I was very sorry, and felt sad.
But my dog ate meat and fish. She had to eat those things to be healthy (there may be alternatives to meat for dogs....I know...but then I didn't know anything like that and at the time, any vegetarian protein like Tofu or beans made her sick)
So I cooked the pheasant for her. I felt sorry about what had happened, but the pheasant's physical body was put to good use I believe.
Old 26-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Hello

There is a blessing for animals that I use in such cases. Too maybe that was in the bird's life path to experience as it is said we all need to experience all things to find enlightenment.

"Blessed are you, Lord God,
maker of all living creatures.
On the fifth and sixth days of creation,
you called forth fish in the sea,
birds in the air and animals on the land.
you inspired St. Francis to call animals
his brothers and sisters.
We as you to bless this animal.
Be the power of your love,
enable it to live according to your plan.
May we always praise you
for all your beauty in creation.
Blessed are you, Lord our God, in all your
creatures! Amen.

Lynn
Old 27-09-2013, 01:03 AM
livingkarma

Continue to grieve the loss till you have accepted it was an accident ...
There are things that happen beyond our control that we feel guilt & a sense of loss ...
I always feel deeply whenever I see a dead animal on the road even though I think death is the one of greatest transitions we will ever experience ...
I think it's similar to when we see a car accident up ahead - we feel a sense of loss, it reminds us of our mortality & to remember to cherish life ...