Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 06-02-2021, 06:19 PM
Master
Compassion and beliefs

Hello,

Some thoughts were going through my mind in regards to beliefs and compassion.

Do you think that by being open to understanding others beliefs that a sense of compassion can be developed?

My thoughts are first depends upon the belief(s). For if the belief(s) is destructive in some way, then may not hold compassion for the belief. May hold compassion for the person and do what I can to understand why he/she may believe such, but will hold reservations towards the belief.

The way in which the belief is projected upon another and/ others has an influence upon my response(s). Again may hold some compassion towards the person as a human being, but find if destructive or harmful do not condone such actions.

Now my view points expressed has me also question; Is it always alright for someone to believe whatever he/she wants to?

Not saying to be the “belief police”, but when feeling a belief is being destructive or may lead to harm, then has me bring up such questions.

The flip side, by further understanding another’s beliefs or not a deeper understanding seems to develop. May not have the same views, but if each are being respectful, then can learn some things and better understand where he/she is coming from.

Wording this as best I can at the moment. For at times it comes down to holding compassion for the person or not. Even when noticing that his/her belief(s) are being destructive. How one may respond or react. Exploring a bit.

Will stop here and present this to you all.
What are your thoughts?
Old 06-02-2021, 07:59 PM
Master

Some thoughts in response (which could probably do with some refining):

We have no control over what someone else believes, so other peoples' beliefs are not worth worrying about. People will believe whatever they believe until they believe something different. It is not our concern. But we can still take action if someone's beliefs may lead to harm. Their beliefs are not our responsibility, but any action we take is our responsibility.

Do we need to understand someone else's beliefs? We could spend our entire lives trying to understand all the different beliefs of other people. Is this necessary? Probably not.

Because I do not think that compassion is dependent on understanding someone else's beliefs. The problem is the ignorance out of which such beliefs arise. Compassion in the deepest sense arises spontaneously from within, and this is compassion for the individual whatever they may do or believe. Compassion is an expression of our truest nature in response to people who are struggling with ignorance.

And of course, all this is just an expression of my own beliefs, which could well be misguided!

Peace
Old 06-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Pathfinder

When someone is knowingly causing pain and damage to life and others, it is correct to stand up and speak up, always.

Compassion is something that comes to one, it is a Grace. Next comes Mercy, the Soul gift of true succor. Everyone's time comes, when it is their time to know and understand. It is a gentle Cosmic nudge (or not so gentle). From sleep, to morning wakefulness.

That is why I say "knowingly causing pain." That is human evil and must be called out. Whereas innocent unconsciousness leading to a love-awakening... well that's just our permanent blessed state.

Love!
Old 06-02-2021, 10:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Some thoughts in response (which could probably do with some refining):

We have no control over what someone else believes, so other peoples' beliefs are not worth worrying about. People will believe whatever they believe until they believe something different. It is not our concern. But we can still take action if someone's beliefs may lead to harm. Their beliefs are not our responsibility, but any action we take is our responsibility.

Do we need to understand someone else's beliefs? We could spend our entire lives trying to understand all the different beliefs of other people. Is this necessary? Probably not.

Because I do not think that compassion is dependent on understanding someone else's beliefs. The problem is the ignorance out of which such beliefs arise. Compassion in the deepest sense arises spontaneously from within, and this is compassion for the individual whatever they may do or believe. Compassion is an expression of our truest nature in response to people who are struggling with ignorance.

And of course, all this is just an expression of my own beliefs, which could well be misguided!

Peace

Hi iamthat,

Don’t think what you share as misguided. They are your thoughts and insights. Brings some thoughts to my mind.
All in the spirit of sharing and expressing ourselves.

True can spend a lifetime trying to understand all the beliefs out there. Was not really thinking about all the beliefs, as much as, a one on one relationship and/or interaction with another or group.

I mean how much time and effort is wasted upon arguing? When both sides are not listening as much as defending their position.

Not saying we all have to agree, but at least be a little more open. When looking at this with in a social aspect and not directing it towards anyone in particular.

So, not so much a control thing as it is noticing my own responses and reactions, at times, to others. Sometimes it is just a misunderstanding of what each believes or may hold to be true.

What is the other being ignorant of? What am I being ignorant of? The two may play off each other or lead to more open understanding of each other. Get what I mean?

Now just exploring a bit here and what you present does bring to my mind some self reflections which some I share.

I can relate that compassion is not dependent upon another's belief. For I do not think an emergency care person asks what someone may believe before helping them out. It does arise from a deep place with in, some may relate it to the heart center (love).

Yes, there may be some who feel guided to others to lift him/her self up regardless of beliefs. Because he/she sees someone in pain or suffering.

Agree, to place it my own words actions can speak volumes about the true character of a person.

Beliefs can fade and change, but what one does for or against another can have effects that can change a life.

I always remember an act of kindness and compassion.

Thank you for your thoughts
Peace to you as well
Old 06-02-2021, 10:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love~is~All
When someone is knowingly causing pain and damage to life and others, it is correct to stand up and speak up, always.

Compassion is something that comes to one, it is a Grace. Next comes Mercy, the Soul gift of true succor. Everyone's time comes, when it is their time to know and understand. It is a gentle Cosmic nudge (or not so gentle). From sleep, to morning wakefulness.

That is why I say "knowingly causing pain." That is human evil and must be called out. Whereas innocent unconsciousness leading to a love-awakening... well that's just our permanent blessed state.

Love!

Hi Love~is~All,

Yes, there are times when one needs to speak up and stand up.

Yes, compassion to me is a one of the many traits “we” have with in us. It is a grace.

In my view humans can be both compassionate and cruel. Depending on where focus is placed. At least what I notice.

Cool view point that our “permanent blessed” state is love-awakening.

Everything in its due time as when one is ready, suppose.

Thank you for sharing.:)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:14 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
In my view humans can be both compassionate and cruel. Depending on where focus is placed. At least what I notice.

Cool view point that our “permanent blessed” state is love-awakening.
Thank you for that Moonglow, learning, evolution is endless so we're never really awake! Yes, I see it as a truly blessed state. Life and being alive is a miracle. The universe is entirely benevolent. It is Love. We are Living Love.

Yes, cruel. And that is for a short time. For once Grace touches the Soul, and makes Her home there, cruelty can be no more. This is being human, this is all our stories. Our evolutionary tale. From animal to spiritual.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love~is~All
Thank you for that Moonglow, learning, evolution is endless so we're never really awake! Yes, I see it as a truly blessed state. Life and being alive is a miracle. The universe is entirely benevolent. It is Love. We are Living Love.

Yes, cruel. And that is for a short time. For once Grace touches the Soul, and makes Her home there, cruelty can be no more. This is being human, this is all our stories. Our evolutionary tale. From animal to spiritual.

It is quite amazing, isn’t it.

Hopefully humans are evolving more into a loving state. The times they are a changing.

Love is a blessing

Cruelty to me depends upon the intent behind the act. If intentionally done to cause suffering, then it is cruel. Yes, compassion gives no room for this, IMO.

Life is a precious gift. Do not always know what another is going through or has experienced. Which can affect what one may find necessary to hold.

So, it has helped me to talk and listen. Offer a hand when felt one is needed. Which, suppose is love in action.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:35 AM
Master
In my view, compassion is not a function of the mind but the heart, as a higher aspect of hues of love. As such, it is not about understanding but feeling, by so becoming.

Beginning with centred tranquil calm, melding head and heart, with attention oscillations reduced, love blossoms as bubbling joy, spontaneous empathy, all embracing compassion, arriving at purity of being in vibrant emptiness, throbbing with rapture of ineffable, purring bliss in renewal continual.

All are then accepted unconditionally on an as is, where is basis, recognising and respecting the journey of each soul, through its own unique path.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:55 AM
Master

Each one of is on their own path at their own level of evolvement. What it fits one, doesn't fit another. What choices are available to one aren't available to another.

At some level you react to the reality you perceive; at the higher level you create the reality you want.

At some level you perceive something that causes you compassion (you react emotionally); at the higher level you change reality (you create) before the compassion arises.

You should always do only what you think is right, nor what others tell you is right. This is valid at any level of evolvement.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
In my view, compassion is not a function of the mind but the heart, as a higher aspect of hues of love. As such, it is not about understanding but feeling, by so becoming.

Beginning with centred tranquil calm, melding head and heart, with attention oscillations reduced, love blossoms as bubbling joy, spontaneous empathy, all embracing compassion, arriving at purity of being in vibrant emptiness, throbbing with rapture of ineffable, purring bliss in renewal continual.

All are then accepted unconditionally on an as is, where is basis, recognising and respecting the journey of each soul, through its own unique path.

Hi Unseeking Seeker,

Beautifully expressed.

Thank you for sharing