Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 26-11-2020, 03:57 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrio
....mea culpa! One of the coolest examples of mistaken identity I've made since I joined SF!

Must be because his appellation is "Just A Simple Guise" for his extraordinariness!

... And when your friends say that you are even more beautiful than Katherine Hepburn herself.

But there's no mistaking that "Extraordinary does as extraordinary is": whatever his or her name.

Simple is as simple does. LOL!

It's not about becoming what we are, but unbecoming what we are not. Peeling away the layers of complexity allowing simplicity to reveal Itself.

The complexity is mundane. It's the simplicity that's extraordinary.
Old 26-11-2020, 06:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Simple is as simple does. LOL!

It's not about becoming what we are, but unbecoming what we are not. Peeling away the layers of complexity allowing simplicity to reveal Itself.

The complexity is mundane. It's the simplicity that's extraordinary.

JASG

.... Your Eastern philosophy "visitor" that came in late last summer must be a good friend to have around. Thanks for sharing with us on SF.
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)
Old 27-11-2020, 04:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRDivine
Isn't that just a fancy word for the 5 senses? Without the senses we wouldn't be conscious right?

And how do we know we have souls? I can't feel one.
The 5 senses are 5 parts of consciousness. This is why folks who dismiss the body/put the body in the same camp as the ego do not make any sense. See what I did there? Pun intended.

Awareness on the other hand, is aware of the 5 senses, thus is the observer of the observed.
Old 27-11-2020, 07:28 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
The 5 senses are 5 parts of consciousness. This is why folks who dismiss the body/put the body in the same camp as the ego do not make any sense. See what I did there? Pun intended.

Awareness on the other hand, is aware of the 5 senses, thus is the observer of the observed.

From the physicalist/materialist perspective it's all mixed up. Self (Consciousness) and self (ego-self, Ahamkara, I-maker) are superimposed on each other.

From the non-dual Advaita perspective Consciousness = Awareness (Self) and is Purusha. Body, mind (intellect, memory, emotions, ego-self) and all of objective reality are of Prakriti (nature). Prakritit is but name, form and function of Purusha and within Purusha. Purusha is unchanging and Prakriti is ever changing.

Self realization is realizing one's true nature (Purusha) and Enlightenment is a permanent and irreversible resting in that realization.
Old 27-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Master
Quote:
From the physicalist/materialist perspective it's all mixed up. Self (Consciousness) and self (ego-self, Ahamkara, I-maker) are superimposed on each other.

From the non-dual Advaita perspective Consciousness = Awareness (Self) and is Purusha. Body, mind (intellect, memory, emotions, ego-self) and all of objective reality are of Prakriti (nature). Prakritit is but name, form and function of Purusha and within Purusha. Purusha is unchanging and Prakriti is ever changing.

Self realization is realizing one's true nature (Purusha) and Enlightenment is a permanent and irreversible resting in that realization.
None of that really matters as they are nothing more than more separation/division and thought experiments/ideas/concepts/labels etc.

Consciousness does not experience anything. Experiencing and self realization are mental processes, the mental is based on most people's subjective condioning . Ego, mind etc are all mental, and the mental effects the body (sensory and otherwise). When you take away the ego and mind, you take away experiencing and self realization. Objective experiencing and self-realization is far more important than subjective experiencing and self realization through thought experiments/ideas/concepts/labels etc.

The universe/duality has no existence apart from Brahman/non-duality. This includes ego, mind, body etc. The world as it subjectively and abstractly appears to us (via our subjective and false conditioning, beliefs, biases) etc is false/unreal because the way we perceive the world/universe/duality via our subjective and false conditioning, beliefs, biases and etc is not real/has no absolute existence. The world/universe/duality is ever real because it is, essentially, nothing less than brahman mistaken as a world of matter, subjectivity wishing, wants, needs, likes, dislikes, biases, desires, feelings etc etc.

You keep talking about subjective/abstract experiencing and subjective self realization through subjective/abstract experiences thought experiments/ideas/concepts/labels etc and through subjective mental conditioning/biases.
Old 27-11-2020, 12:57 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Consciousness does not experience anything. Experiencing and self realization are mental processes, the mental is based on most people's subjective condioning . Ego, mind etc are all mental, and the mental effects the body (sensory and otherwise). When you take away the ego and mind, you take away experiencing and self realization. Objective experiencing and self-realization is far more important than subjective experiencing and self realization through thought experiments/ideas/concepts/labels etc.

Consciousness is the experiencer, the ultimate subject. It experiences mind while we are awake and dreaming and experiences absence of mind when in deep sleep.

Quote:
The universe/duality has no existence apart from Brahman/non-duality. This includes ego, mind, body etc. The world as it subjectively and abstractly appears to us (via our subjective and false conditioning, beliefs, biases) etc is false/unreal because the way we perceive the world/universe/duality via our subjective and false conditioning, beliefs, biases and etc is not real/has no absolute existence. The world/universe/duality is ever real because it is, essentially, nothing less than brahman mistaken as a world of matter, subjectivity wishing, wants, needs, likes, dislikes, biases, desires, feelings etc etc.

You keep talking about subjective/abstract experiencing and subjective self realization through subjective/abstract experiences thought experiments/ideas/concepts/labels etc and through subjective mental conditioning/biases.

Exactly and Brahman = Atman = Consciousness as in Sat-Chit-Ananda or Existence-Consciousness-Bliss. Body, mind and all of objective reality are but appearances (name, form & function) of and within Brahman which also means of and within Atman and of and within Consciousness.

Self inquiry through negation (Neti Neti) is for the purpose of discernment between the changing (body, mind and all of objective reality) and the unchanging (Consciousness). Discernment between our true nature (Self) and apparent nature (the ego-self). Desuperimposition of the superimposition of Self and the ego-self.

One has to first take the pieces apart to understand the puzzle otherwise one is left thinking one is but a mere piece of the puzzle instead of the puzzle in its entirety.

Here's how I see it.

1 - One can be tightly identified with mind-body and with that comes all the baggage of mind-body. Illness, injury, aging and death. Subjectivity, wishing, wants, needs, likes, dislikes, biases, desires, feelings etc etc. Do you believe mind alone can overcome all this? Be free of its own nature?

2 - One can be tightly identified with Consciousness. If one is Sat-Chit-Ananda and "knows" it then body, mind and all of objective reality are no longer a problem. It's liberation from all you categorize as negatives and more. It's simply recognized as Maya and the veil of ignorance is lifted, though its projection remains. Sit back and enjoy the movie instead of playing a small part in the movie and suffering all its twists and turns.
Old 27-11-2020, 01:38 PM
Cat

Quote:
Self realization is realizing one's true nature (Purusha) and Enlightenment
is a permanent and irreversible resting in that realization.
So many definitions. This seems so simple and clear.
Quote:
It's not about becoming what we are, but unbecoming what we are not.
Oh, that was good.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-11-2020, 01:44 PM
Talking

Quote:
Just a case of mistaken identity. Not Guilty!
Takes me awhile to get to all these topics.
Oh.
Cuz I picture you as more muscular, tall and outdoorsy...ok 'rugged'.
But, with his full head of grayish hair. Close?

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-11-2020, 01:52 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Takes me awhile to get all these topics.
Oh.
Cuz I picture you as more muscular, tall and outdoorsy...ok 'rugged'.
But, with his full head of grayish hair. Close?

Check out my profile picture. I'm the guy in the middle wearing a black shirt. I'm just 6' and my hair's silver, not grey. LOL! And yeah, it's still full. No male pattern baldness.

That picture was taken at Pixley Falls State Park near Boonville (Tug Hill Plateau). It was an outing with a meetup group (Syracuse Outdoor Adventures Club) I was a member of when I lived in B'Ville.
Old 27-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Check out my profile picture. I'm the guy in the middle wearing a black shirt. I'm just 6' and my hair's silver, not grey. LOL!
And yeah, it's still full. No male pattern baldness.

That picture was taken at Pixley Falls State Park near Boonville (Tug Hill Plateau). It was an outing with a
meetup group (Syracuse Outdoor Adventures Club) I was a member of when I lived in B'ville.
Gosh, I don't rem you lived actually in B'ville, NY, which I know so well, going there for 40 years on visits.
Was a while ago we talked in my defense.
That photo is a bit small on your profile ...but I get a general impression.