Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-01-2021, 10:29 PM
Newbie ;)

Color A beginner’s experiences

I am new to meditation and relatively new to spiritualism in general. I recently had a mental breakdown at the realisation of death, and was recommended to bring myself towards the spiritual teachings of eternal oneness with the universe’s stream of consciousness. I do find great sense in the teaching that only physical matter can cease to exist, while the metaphysical being is indestructible. After all, energy can’t be destroyed, only change structure.

So far, I am having beautiful experiences from guided meditation sessions. However, a few of them made me wonder whether my reactions are normal or not. The other night, my meditation guide called for my spirit guides, to which I had a strange physical response. It was almost as if something entered me through my open mouth. I had to swallow strongly, completely out of nowhere; it even took me by surprise, so it cannot have been an active decision of mind. Directly afterwards, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace, love and warmth fill my entire body. At this point, I lost my sense of time and space, and had a hard time figuring whether I was awake at all. Of course, I was.

After some time, the guide called for my spirit guide to show me something important about my life. What I saw, clear as day, was a sort of asymmetrical grid. It showed me photographs tied together by electric impulses. The snapshots were too far away for me to see what they were showing. At this point, my heart rate went up drastically. My heart was beating hard and fast, even though I wasn’t scared, nervous, startled or even particularly excited. I was within a state of total peace and oneness, and yet my heart was beating as fast as it does after a good run.

I decided to quit the session after this, and felt sort of uneasy, but not necessarily in a bad way. Just the sensation of not being alone, and the sensation of having been emptied from something. I’m a bit worried that my experiences were abnormal or harmful, since the heart did beat strangely fast and startled me completely. I also felt a spiritual presence, possibly even entering my body through my mouth. Are these experiences common or at least widely heard of within spiritual meditation? If so, should I ignore the physical reactions next time and let the spiritual presence guide me further down the stream?
Old 13-01-2021, 10:42 PM
JustASimpleGuy

If you had a breakdown are you currently under professional care? If so was it your provider who recommended this course of action and the specific guided meditation?

The thing is meditation is contraindicated for some mental health episodes and especially if not being coordinated with a mental health professional versed in the potential pitfalls, so my suggestion is exercise care and due diligence before continuing.
Old 13-01-2021, 10:54 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
If you had a breakdown are you currently under professional care? If so was it your provider who recommended this course of action and the specific guided meditation?

The thing is meditation is contraindicated for some mental health episodes and especially if not being coordinated with a mental health professional versed in the potential pitfalls, so my suggestion is exercise care and due diligence before continuing.
I am undergoing professional therapy and taking good care of my health. The spiritual advice came from people who’ve had similar issues with the concept of dying. Does the mental treatment interfere with the meditation? What can the consequences be of having those two processes going on simultaneously? Poor sessions due to the absence of complete peace?
Old 13-01-2021, 11:05 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattisF
I am undergoing professional therapy and taking good care of my health. The spiritual advice came from people who’ve had similar issues with the concept of dying. Does the mental treatment interfere with the meditation? What can the consequences be of having those two processes going on simultaneously? Poor sessions due to the absence of complete peace?

I'm not sure but you should mention it to your therapist. It might be perfectly fine but it might not. I don't know but I do know for some episodes/conditions meditation is contraindicated and your therapist should be able to provide some guidance. At the very least you should talk it through with him/her and relate your experience.

For conditions like severe anxiety and some forms of depression there's a very specific therapy program that incorporates meditation techniques called MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction). I think there are also some similar programs for some (but not all) types of personality disorders. I think it's for BPD and called DBT (Dialetical Behavior Therapy).

These are highly regimented therapy programs though and for treating specific conditions.
Old 13-01-2021, 11:23 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I'm not sure but you should mention it to your therapist. It might be perfectly fine but it might not. I don't know but I do know for some episodes/conditions meditation is contraindicated and your therapist should be able to provide some guidance. At the very least you should talk it through with him/her and relate your experience.

For conditions like severe anxiety and some forms of depression there's a very specific therapy program that incorporates meditation techniques called MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction). I think there are also some similar programs for some (but not all) types of personality disorders. I think it's for BPD and called DBT (Dialetical Behavior Therapy).

These are highly regimented therapy programs though and for treating specific conditions.
Thank you for the advice! Do experiences such as unconscious movements, increased heart rate and clear but distant visions belong to some kind of normality though? If that’s even a possible answer to give, since it’s highly individual.
Old 13-01-2021, 11:40 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! Do experiences such as unconscious movements, increased heart rate and clear but distant visions belong to some kind of normality though? If that’s even a possible answer to give, since it’s highly individual.

Pretty much, though there are some common experiences such as quieting of mind, serenity etc... The stated goals of the various practices. Then there are all sorts of other possible experiences in meditation probably dependent on the individual's nature, nurture and expectations.
Old 14-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asearcher
Hi! Do you know where this sudden strong fear of death come from? I am a believer of past life existence and have had one strong fear of something that was not explained to come from this life, but a past life. It does not really matter if one believes in the concept itself as treatment (meditation state lead by a pl regressionist) as it is still working, an explaination and then one heals from it.

Your experience of feeling as if something/someone entered your body through your mouth I understand must have felt very strange. I have not had that experience myself. I can't say how common or uncommon it is.

The pics you could not see lined up seem to have been key-moments of your life?

I have too woken up not knowing where I am, who I am and before the brain catched up it was frightening this short time it lasted.

Have you meditated much? It can be too much?

Wishing you all the best
Hello! I was actually listening to a song that handled dying and getting buried, which triggered a strong realisation that one day I am actually ceasing to exist. It was a frightening, sinking feeling. Eternal nothingness is a scary idea that frankly is impossible to grasp. I figured that maybe it actually is impossible. I had already been interested in spirituality, but that’s when I decided to truly dive into the uncountable witnesses that describe spiritual life in another dimension. Medical documentation shows a lot of scientifically impossible happenings actually happening to the clinically dead. I’m still on the road of finding my personal conviction, but I’ve been opened to this world and I will never ever be closed to it again.

Yes, the photographs could very possibly show important events from my life. I regret that I couldn’t see them, but I hope to find myself in a similar position again.

I am relatively new to meditation, so I’m certain that I’m not overdoing it. I have been taking on too hard tasks though. You’re completely right that I was guided towards the third eye, which was foolish since it is not ready to be opened yet. That could explain the negative reactions. Remarkable that you mentioned it! What is recommended for someone who’s rather recently getting into the art of meditation?

All the best your way
Old 15-01-2021, 07:17 PM
Master

Quote:
I am new to meditation and relatively new to spiritualism in general. I recently had a mental breakdown at the realisation of death, and was recommended to bring myself towards the spiritual teachings of eternal oneness with the universe’s stream of consciousness. I do find great sense in the teaching that only physical matter can cease to exist, while the metaphysical being is indestructible. After all, energy can’t be destroyed, only change structure.

A lengthy quote from Ramana Maharshi when he considered his own death at the age of 16 (it is probably out of copyright):

It was about six weeks before I left Madura for good that a great change in my life took place . It was quite sudden. I was sitting in a room on the first floor of my uncle’s house. I seldom had any sickness and on that day there was nothing wrong with my health, but a sudden, violent fear of death overtook me. There was nothing in my state of health to account for it; and I did not try to account for it or to find out whether there was any reason for the fear. I just felt, ‘I am going to die,’ and began thinking what to do about it. It did not occur to me to consult a doctor or my elders or friends. I felt that I had to solve the problem myself, then and there.

The shock of the fear of death drove my mind inwards and I said to myself mentally, without actually framing the words: ‘Now death has come; what does it mean? What is it that is dying? This body dies.’ And I at once dramatized the occurrence of death. I lay with my limbs stretched out stiff as though rigor mortis had set in and imitated a corpse so as to give greater reality to the enquiry. I held my breath and kept my lips tightly closed so that no sound could escape, so that neither the word ‘I’ or any other word could be uttered, ‘Well then,’ I said to myself, ‘this body is dead. It will be carried stiff to the burning ground and there burnt and reduced to ashes. But with the death of this body am I dead? Is the body ‘I’? It is silent and inert but I feel the full force of my personality and even the voice of the ‘I’ within me, apart from it. So I am Spirit transcending the body. The body dies but the Spirit that transcends it cannot be touched by death. This means I am the deathless Spirit.’

All this was not dull thought; it flashed through me vividly as living truth which I perceived directly, almost without thought-process. ‘I’ was something very real, the only real thing about my present state, and all the conscious activity connected with my body was centred on that ‘I’. From that moment onwards the ‘I’ or Self focused attention on itself by a powerful fascination. Fear of death had vanished once and for all. Absorption in the Self continued unbroken from that time on. Other thoughts might come and go like the various notes of music, but the ‘I’ continued like the fundamental sruti note that underlies and blends with all the other notes. Whether the body was engaged in talking, reading, or anything else, I was still centred on ‘I’. Previous to that crisis I had no clear perception of my Self and was not consciously attracted to it. I felt no perceptible or direct interest in it, much less any inclination to dwell permanently in it.

Peace
Old 17-01-2021, 03:02 PM
Master
Thanks for the Ramana wisdom iamthat ... have read it earlier but always great to refresh!
Old 19-01-2021, 05:07 AM
Newbie ;)

Red face Plants can give Positivity to your Home and Mind while meditating

Would like to add plants play a crucial role in meditation. Do add indoor plants in the room you meditate for positivity. I will help you in your meditation if you are a beginner.