Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 25-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Master
Im a fan of Wayne Dyer.....I have many of his books.....
Old 25-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Master
Lots of books have had meaning for me over the years.

All's Quiet On The Western Front was quite pivotal. The Kryon parables book helped me with forgiveness.

Old 25-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
Hello

That has to be "Lord of the Flies" . I remember reading it in Grade 8 and totally connecting to the meanings there on the deepest levels. The only English Lit A I ever go was a paper on that book.

Lynn

Definitely a book I'll never forget!

Old 26-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Master
voice of the infinite in the small-revisioning the human insect connection-joanne lauck
krishnamurti's notebook-j krishnamurti
secret life of nature-peter tompkins (nature spirits to quarks)

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 26-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Lulu

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
It was a mandatory read in school and while most of my classmates hated it, I loved it. My teacher then gave me a copy of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley to read for fun and I never looked back. I'm a dystopian junkie.
Old 27-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
It was a mandatory read in school and while most of my classmates hated it, I loved it. My teacher then gave me a copy of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley to read for fun and I never looked back. I'm a dystopian junkie.

i loved it too...had no idea what it was called as it was so long ago so thanks. name rang the bell so googled and bingo...the six toes bit in the wicki description is when i knew it was the same one. was just thinking of it lately too...

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 27-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregatha
Mr God, this is Anna....by Fynn. Cheers

Oh wow, I loved that book when I was younger. So much so, that I re-bought it again a few years ago.
Old 27-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Master
The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

The Magical Life Of Dion Fortune - Alan Richardson

https://www.facebook.com/Sean Baker
https://twitter.com/Sean Baker
[/color]
Old 27-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecta3
i loved it too...had no idea what it was called as it was so long ago so thanks. name rang the bell so googled and bingo...the six toes bit in the wicki description is when i knew it was the same one. was just thinking of it lately too...

It really is a great book... deus ex machina and all lol.

It's a good 'introduction' to the dystopian genre. I haven't read it in years, but I actually wouldn't mind reading it again - it was my 'introduction' to dystopian worlds. It brought Brave New World, Stand on Zanzibar, Ninteen Eighty-Four, Neuromancer, Fahrenheit 451, The Time Machine, and so many more amazing works of fiction into my life... I'll forever be thankful for reading that first book.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Master

I've read a lot of books that have changed my life over the years. Here are a few:

Books from or related to a Buddhist perspective:
A Heart As Wide As The World - Sharon Salzberg
Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experiences - Sharon Salzberg
The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching - Thich Nhat Hanh
Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse

About integrating the shadow side of the personality:
Why Good People Do Bad Things - Debbie Ford

About American Indian Spirituality and Healing (I didn't know at the time this is a controversial subject - Pan Indianism, and some of the things in this book might be considered "plastic shamanism" or appropriation, I suppose. But at the time, many years ago, it presented certain philosophical values and spiritual worldviews that I hadn't heard explained that way, and it changed my life at the time):
Honoring the Medicine - Kenneth Cohen

A book about really loving, helping and relating to others and community, especially the downtrodden and "broken" ones, and discovering and acknowledging our own brokenness and living within interdependence:
Becoming Human - Jean Vanier

The books that really helped me learn how effective herbal and alternative dietary therapies can be (a subject that I subsequently learned a lot more about, through other books and the internet, but these 2 gave me the best, most consistent results for the widest variety of ailments, of the books that I tried. I cured much of my health problems - chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, through these and other books and resources):
Green Pharmacy - James Duke,
and The New Whole Foods Encycopedia - Rebecca Woods

The first Taoist book I read that really helped me apply Taoism to my daily life. I feel a lot more balanced and holistic in my life and worldview since beginning to read this book, which has a meditation for every day of the year. Maybe I'd like to become a Taoist, it is this book that made me feel that way:
365 Tao - Deng Ming-Dao

And some books from my sociology studies in college taught me about technological, toxic disasters, the abuse of power and the ways that white collar criminals get away with so much because the way law and government work in our society, and how people severely affected by toxic, technological disasters undergo something like gradual, slow-acting post-traumatic stress disorder, not to mention long term health and mental impairments, depending on the toxic exposures:
A New Species of Trouble - Kai Erikson
Deadly Feasts - Richard Rhodes
and I think it was called 'White Collar Crime' but don't recall the author