Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 23-02-2013, 06:16 PM
eljockey101

How do I know I exist?

You can say "I exist" or the opposite "I do not exist/I am nothing/I am not". How to know you really exist? What is existence anyway? "I think therefore I am" said Descartes, but that is not convincing me that I exist. I look for an affirmation that'd leave no doubt that "I am"
Old 23-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Hermes

some mantras that might help are:

you know(fore brain) I know( parietal lobe) we know( occipital lobes)

I know I exist

You are I am

and your perspective of god will definitely help you with this issue. If you believe god is the only thing that is real existence is actually easier to comprehend.
Old 23-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljockey101
You can say "I exist" or the opposite "I do not exist/I am nothing/I am not". How to know you really exist? What is existence anyway? "I think therefore I am" said Descartes, but that is not convincing me that I exist. I look for an affirmation that'd leave no doubt that "I am"
Some questions to help me understand your questions;

What do you mean by 'I am'. Do you look to prove that a seperate you exists or that existence exists?

Which brings the next question: What do mean by 'exist'?

James
Old 23-02-2013, 06:58 PM
amy green

I see such arguments as nothing more than intellectual exercises, e.g. are we all in someone's dream? Is life suspended until we get an answer? No! I studied philosophy and, much as I enjoyed it, it struck me as polishing shoes that you never walk in.

Ultimately, whether we debate that we exist or not, we have to get on with life - get dressed etc.
Old 23-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
I see such arguments as nothing more than intellectual exercises, e.g. are we all in someone's dream? Is life suspended until we get an answer? No! I studied philosophy and, much as I enjoyed it, it struck me as polishing shoes that you never walk in.

Ultimately, whether we debate that we exist or not, we have to get on with life - get dressed etc.

I love the polishing shoe statement!

In regards to the last part, 'getting on with life'......doesn't it seem that the intellectual exercises are a subconscious way to avoid just that?
Old 23-02-2013, 07:46 PM
amy green

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
I love the polishing shoe statement!

In regards to the last part, 'getting on with life'......doesn't it seem that the intellectual exercises are a subconscious way to avoid just that?
What's that you say....procrastination? Now, if only I could be bothered to answer that!

Old 23-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Wabke

The and-and of mysticism

Indeed Amy, I agree;
life is in the here and now and as Frédéric Antonious ( a mystic who I really appreciate a lot): when you don't find it in the here and now, you'll never find it. So whether it is getting up and getting dressed, or doing meditation, prayer or whatever; that's where you are!

However, eljockey, of course I recognize this kind of questions, but it's like mixing up different levels of perception. The world is an illusion, for instance, is real on one level, but then, when you hit your head, the pain is very real! That's why in mysticism one takes the way of 'and-and'; it's both true on its own level and you have to deal with each on its own level, otherwise it all becomes very confusing.
Take care!
Old 23-02-2013, 10:58 PM
eljockey101

In short, how do I know that I am Something and not Nothing?
Old 23-02-2013, 11:08 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljockey101
In short, how do I know that I am Something and not Nothing?
Does having a definite answer to this question change how you would live your life? If you are nothing, then do you feel this would give you licence to live immorally? I don't understand your need to ask this question but I acknowledge that it must be important to you.

If you are "something" - what would that mean to you? Give you license to live a more meaning life, i.e. make a difference? Do you need to have this clarified first before pursuing this?

What would constitute proof of your existence? Why doubt it in the first place? (I'd better not muddy the waters and bring up the fact that, to some, life is an illusion anyway or is this what you are getting at?)
Old 23-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Master
Well said amy green.