Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2022, 01:51 PM
Master
QUOTE 600 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
If one had every bit of information about the universe at any given point in time and also knew all the fundamental laws of nature then in theory one should be able to accurately construct past and future from that point.
In a dream does the dream character have free will? If one attains lucidity then one understands the nature of that illusion..
It seems to me at the relative level of reality free will is tied at the hip to doership.
Your hypothetical statement that "in theory one should be able to accurately construct past and future" with an all-knowing Reality .... suggests a very deterministic, predictable, rather boring Reality with a very rigid script which is scripted down to the minutest detail. Such a Reality would logically have pre-programmed the Holocaust and horrors of a similar nature. Your statement is similar to the logic of those who preach predestination with an "all knowing God" and I have had that discussion more than enough times as it leads to some horrifying conclusions about the nature of the Reality. It also raises significant questions on the nature of time and space. There is an alternate understanding of the Reality which is more creative and dynamically unfolding in the here-and-now.

Since you brought up dreams and lucid dreaming, let's leave the hypothetical "all-knowing" Reality behind for a while and examine more precisely what happens with dreams. Having practiced conscious sleep for many years ("Know Yourself" as in the Mandukya Upanishad which you referenced indirectly), I have been able to observe the dream process from start to finish and this is more than just a lucid dream. One can observe the manifestation of time and space. One can also observe those instances when one gets entangled in the dreams particularly when working on unresolved issues. Eventually, of course, as the inner pressures which trigger dreams are addressed, the more mundane dreams cease altogether and, as the Tibetan Yogi Milarepa did, one can redirect one's attention to a subtler level of consciousness without losing a grip on levels left behind.

The sense of doership arises in dreams as well with the "dream-I" just as it manifests in the so-called waking state with the "waking-I". One discovers, of course, that both those "I"s are not what they initially appear to be. Your point on doership is quite valid, but let's address it first on the dream and/or "waking state" levels first before projecting onto the ultimate Reality.

This is a good discussion and I welcome your input on this subject.

NOTE: This would be an excellent subject for a separate thread on "Predestination" or something along those lines. It probably would belong in General Religion since the "all knowing God" seems to appear in various religions.