Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Seeker

Opinions on Jnana Yoga, please!

I am a white american raised Catholic and live in the midwest of the United States. Consequently I have no background or traditions with hinduism.

However my favourite parts of hinduism are advaita vedanta, jnana yoga and my most revered diety/personage is Satya Sai Baba (probably because of my interest in the paranormal and that he was the first figure I studied in depth; I visited his Ashram in India too.)

My personal inclinations and personality type attract me to Jnana Yoga. How do you guys think people should practice Jnana Yoga? Do they continually remind themselves through their waking hours of what is real/unreal? Do they repeat mantras/affirmations to themselves? I would think meditation would benefit that process too. What type of meditation would be best for a Jnana Yogi.

Is it arrogant to call yourself a yogi before you reach a certain point of self-realization? How would you know without a human guru working with you?

I've heard from multiple sources that in this Kali Yuga that Bahkti Yoga is the surest ane easiest way to go for liberation. So, why should people use other (harder) paths?

Sometimes I think I'm a Jnana Yogi and some times I think I'm a fraud and not doing the more effort intensive sadhana techniques I hear others do.

Anyway, I want to solicit thoughts from my learned hindu friends on the subject of Jnana Yoga. (as I write this I think I'm answering my own questions).
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Master

Hi George-Ananda,

I have found that (for me) an excellent source on the distinctions of Jnana Yoga can be found in the writings of Swami Vivekananda, but especially those of Sri Aurobindo.

The link below leads to a thread here at SF in the book forum, that details one of his major works, "The Synthesis of Yoga", which includes a major section on Jnana yoga.

The specific area you are interested in, is referred to in reply #5 of the thread - a listing of the table of contents including some further chapter links - under the heading, "Part 2 - The Yoga of Integral Knowledge" (i.e., jnana).

However, reply #4 in that same thread has links to free readable or downloadable sources of the entire book.

(I would strongly encourage reading the entire book if you are so inclined.)

~ J

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=30142

Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Master
A jnana yogi is one who knows... not in the sense of mental knowledge but inner, silent intuitive knowing.

What is known? One's own silent true nature beyond the mind.

I suggest the teachings of Ramana Maharshi, the 20th century master of self-inquiry.

The core of his method is to ask yourself "Who am I?" without looking for a verbal or conceptual answer.

Xan

Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 AM
oliness

Ramana Maharshi is the leading figure associated with jnana yoga. But I would say that jnana yoga is considered to be a difficult path, and most people need intermediate steps. One of the first steps is concentration meditation, which makes the mind strong through focused awareness. That is an important prelude to jnana yoga.

Other figures such as Ramakrishna also started off with bhakti yoga or devotional practice. Ramakrishna for example had visions of the Goddess Kali, but then when practising jnana yoga he saw through his vision of Kali to its emptiness and become a jnani. His devotional practices were an important prelude, but he then transcended them to attain wisdom.