Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 08-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
You claim "there has been so much harm over such an unnecessary thing, and there continues to be." What harm?
So many I don;t know where to start... I thought it was common knowledge, like the Inquisition, Jihad and so forth.
Quote:
You claim "I'd sooner see and end to all religions." Does that include Buddhism?
Yes.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Master
Fish

Quote:
Does not Spiritual Forums...... mimic Interfaith?

From what I understand Interfaith is merely dialogue between different religions, understanding each other. This forum is more syncretic. Interfaith is not the same as mixing yoga with Buddhism, viewing Jesus as an enlightened master, or combining acupuncture with Native American beliefs. I think this forum and the conversations and sharing that occurs are more exemplary of syncretism.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Master
Quote:
I once used to go to a religious group that looked at such issues as you brought up, in a different perspective.

There were virtually no rules. If somebody wanted to give the talk, they got their first and presented their name as speaker. Same went for the meditation. The group truly worked in spirit and surprisingly, no incidents aroused with this arrangement.

There was no passing of the 'plate', no contribution boxes, and no method to support the religious group or pay bills such as rent. All expenses were paid for by the founder.

If somebody had something they wanted to say, they could say it.

What I learned from this religious group was that the greatest obstacle we have in being able to work together is fear itself.

Prior to the pandemic, I used to attend a Spiritual Readings group at the Quakers in Brooklyn, New York.

At each meeting, one of the members would present a reading from any tradition and the group would discuss what resonated most with them. There were no arguments --- just a sharing of ideas. Their meetings are in stillness/silence ... except when anyone in the congregation is inspired to speak. Otherwise, there is stillness and silence.

Although the Quakers were originally a Christian group and still have a large Christian presence, their meetings and activities are quite comfortable for people coming from any tradition. There are no images or pictures in the meeting halls ---- predominantly stillness and silence for the most part.

P.S. The Spiritual Readings group is now a ZOOM group during the pandemic and usually has anywhere from 7-15 people in attendance. I love it.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Master
Quote:
I really like the Baháʼí people....... they are down to Earth.

I have been to Baha'i meetings and, while their stated beliefs appear to be quite interfaith-oriented, the implementation details are quite curious.

Are you aware that they have an "International House of Justice" and whatever is ordained by it MUST be obeyed? Otherwise, one is said to have "disputed with God".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoghi_Effendi

EXCERPT:

The Guardian of the Cause of God, as well as the Universal House of Justice to be universally elected and established, are both under the care and protection of the Abha Beauty... Whatsoever they decide is of God. Whoso obeyeth him not, neither obeyeth them, hath not obeyed God; whoso rebelleth against him and against them hath rebelled against God; whoso opposeth him hath opposed God; whoso contendeth with them hath contended with God; whoso disputeth with him hath disputed with God; whoso denieth him hath denied God; whoso disbelieveth in him hath disbelieved in God; whoso deviateth, separateth himself and turneth aside from him hath in truth deviated, separated himself and turned aside from God.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by feather
The Bahai religion believes in the worth of all religions and unity of all people

There are stated beliefs and implementation details. Investigate.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:16 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Probably here the more extreme element would be banned, so we can mimic it here by excluding the radicals, but they are out there fer realz.
I'm not against the idea. Of course it is a great idea, but I just can't see it actually working, and unfortunately, reality isn't the same as we'd want it to be sometimes..
I see interfaith all the time. At most workplaces, people of all different faiths come together to get on with the business of life. Same goes for theaters, sporting events, some political organizations, and on and on the list goes. Conversations arise about what people do and don't believe and nobody get's into a fight. We can all be tolerant of others beliefs....for the most part.

The problems arise when some become so convinced of the supremacy of their own beliefs that they close their minds to any others, any chance they could be mistaken, and become intolerant of those who do not believe as they do. Then even those who preach tolerance and freedom of beliefs have to question just how much tolerance of intolerance they can tolerate. The breaking point of those who champion tolerance often comes when the intolerant turn violent. Which is usually when their beliefs have become so extreme that it is now nearly impossible to reason them back into becoming peaceful.

And so it goes with humanity through the ages. Getting religion out of the picture would give us one less thing to fight about, but I expect we will find plenty of other things to kill each other over anyway...like...for example...who started it. Perhaps there will be no more wars, when there are no more humans left to fight them...IDK....but I expect so.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Key to inter-faith goodwill is to find the commonalities of each faith and to increase awareness of other faiths knowledge.

That is an excellent point. What commonalities do you see at the foundation of the various faiths? I have given this much thought and am curious to hear your views on this subject.

Please elaborate as this seems to be going in a very good direction.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
People with firm belief in interfaith have to be alert not to get into outward aspects of religions which may vary due to atmospheric , historical reasons . They need to focus on core teaching and work how to promote / teach
spirituality and ethics in religion neutral way .
Once again, you make a great point.

As the Sufi Mystic Hazrat Inayat Khan has said repeatedly, one should go deeper into the "core teachings" of the various traditions when apparent differences arise ... while recognizing the fact that "outward aspects of religions .. may vary due to atmospheric, historical reasons. (using your words)".

It would be interesting to investigate the "core teachings" that are common to all religious traditions and transcend the "outward aspects" which you mentioned.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think there will never be reconciliation between different religions and interfaith harmony is manifestly unviable.

That is not obvious to me but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My sense is that there is an underlying "core teaching" at the foundation of the various religions upon which all can agree. I have spoken on that subject in various diverse groups including Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Shamans, Native Americans, etc.

Let's explore the depths and see what emerges.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 PM
Master
Quote:
but if you look at the various holy books, they start to say the same messages.

Yes ! They do start to say the same messages .... for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear .... and are receptive to the "core teachings".