Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 04-06-2021, 04:37 AM
Ascender
Strategies to think of God

Recently i've been able to think of God only while i dedicate songs to him. But i want to think of him otherwise too. Here are my strategies to achieve that:
1) Work for God. This can be easily done via working for others since everyone is a reflection of God.
2) See God in everyone and so talk to them respectfully thinking that God is in them.
3) Whenever i see something creative, intelligent, wise etc. think that it's spark of God's splendor. Creativity impresses me, e.g. good music, you may get impressed with something else and you can see that as God's splendor.

But i've been facing problems with these. I work for God but while working i forget that i'm working for him and hence forget him. I forget to see God in others. I appreciate creativity but forget to see it as God's splendor.

Tips are welcome please.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:33 AM
Master

Focusing on the Self or God by the will can also help. It is the tendency or nature of the mind to focus outwardly/inwardly on sensory objects and it takes some effort to turn it inwards and focus on the Self (awareness) or image of personal God alone.

You might find these sayings by Anandamayi Ma helpful and motivating...

Forgetfulness of God is the greatest sin; His constant remembrance is the greatest virtue

The more you contemplate Him, the more rapid will be your progress.

If your thought does not naturally flow towards the Eternal, fix it there by an effort of will.

When the mind is full of worldly desires, it is their very nature to confuse the mind. Withdraw the mind from outer things and turn it inwards.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 04-06-2021, 10:20 AM
Ascender
Thank you Ajay. Okay i've started trying to directly think of God. I'm finding saying "Oh God"/"God" helps to bring my thought to him.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:22 PM
Master

subconscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
Recently i've been able to think of God only while i dedicate songs to him. But i want to think of him otherwise too. Here are my strategies to achieve that:
1) Work for God. This can be easily done via working for others since everyone is a reflection of God.
2) See God in everyone and so talk to them respectfully thinking that God is in them.
3) Whenever i see something creative, intelligent, wise etc. think that it's spark of God's splendor. Creativity impresses me, e.g. good music, you may get impressed with something else and you can see that as God's splendor.

But i've been facing problems with these. I work for God but while working i forget that i'm working for him and hence forget him. I forget to see God in others. I appreciate creativity but forget to see it as God's splendor.

Tips are welcome please.

Your thoughts are great and noble . Very much appreciate it.

Our sub-conscious too has many thoughts / preferences /opinions / orientations like what your have written here . Even you may be unaware many of such sub-conscious contents . The process of spirituality needs to know all these ,especially those conflicting with the ones written by you and overpower such conflicting contents within . This u have to demonstrate in action repeatedly to re-enforce your convictions at more and more subtle /granular level . This way you will have an experiential understanding of all this will be enriched.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:09 AM
Ascender
Thank you Mr Shah. The strategies i shared are built with help of what i read from scriptures. I understood what you've written.
Old 15-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro

Tips are welcome please.
Hi, I love this. One of my teachers - Mother Meera says remember the divine in everything. Which is essentially what you are doing. Everything you are trying to do here is good... Someone said to mother Meera once, I feel sad because I keep forgetting to think of God all the time. She said, that sadness is good, it shows aspiration which is a powerful thing.
The crux of all religious and spiritual endeavour is to merge with God. The things you are doing even your disappointment at not being able to do it all the time, are ALL good. We can`t drive a car without making mistakes and developing new skills, you are moving closer to God by turning your mind to remember him , this is a new skill. Trust me before long you will be on the motorway with the roof down and the radio blaring!
Old 18-06-2021, 10:36 PM
Seeker
Reading story scriptures can be a big help, especially if you can find some that you really, really love. God can feel like a friend you never want to stop spending time with, and when that happens, all the things that draw your attention away from that relationship will naturally fall aside, and will be replaced by that longing to know all there is to know about God. That's the value in bhakti, the heart is forever pulling the mind back to thinking about your favourite God, not because you should, but because it's enjoyable.
Old 19-06-2021, 12:20 AM
Strategy?
"Stop.''
In the middle of the sidewalk - in the middle if the living room and feeeeeel
His Presence.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru