Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 17-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Ascender

Can You Imagine Non Existence

Obviously if there turns out to be no afterlife, then this is the natural state of affairs. I find the idea terrifying, atheists generally seem unperturbed by it, It's just impossible to imagine isn't it??

You couldn't even be aware of blackness as there is no you to perceive it, How can a conscious being experience non existence?? Its mindblowing. It would be as if you never existed, past, present & future all erased. It makes me dizzy thinking about it! It bothers me more actually that might have happened to my mum & dad but it's still so abstract, to not perceive even not perceiving.

Thoughts on this??
Old 17-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
Obviously if there turns out to be no afterlife, then this is the natural state of affairs. I find the idea terrifying, atheists generally seem unperturbed by it, It's just impossible to imagine isn't it??

You couldn't even be aware of blackness as there is no you to perceive it, How can a conscious being experience non existence?? Its mindblowing. It would be as if you never existed, past, present & future all erased. It makes me dizzy thinking about it! It bothers me more actually that might have happened to my mum & dad but it's still so abstract, to not perceive even not perceiving.

Thoughts on this??

I think you wrote so honestly and openly about your feelings here I wanted to reply to say how brave you were to do so. I believe you have touched on something that most of the population would have silently thought about at one time or other. The fear of this thought can be so intense it can be forgiveable that many others people do not want to discuss the uncertain inevitability at such depth.

Quite some time ago I myself have had similar thoughts to you and share your views, over many years and experiences I came to my own truth as I expect many other would or will do to their own.

I have just talked about the ego at the following link: Go to page 2, reply #12.

http://http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85899&page=2

I believe that our questioning all falls from the creation of the ego, that what we are echoing are the egos desperation for truth and answers to its existence.
Old 17-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Experiencer
Compared to living in the spirit world, where you can have spirit divorces, spirit babies, and read the minds of the living (apparently), or being reincarnated as a cat or charlady in Tooting, or any of the zillion other versions of the afterlife that you can find on the spiritual tinternet, oblivion sounds delicious.
Old 17-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiBach
Compared to living in the spirit world, where you can have spirit divorces, spirit babies, and read the minds of the living (apparently), or being reincarnated as a cat or charlady in Tooting, or any of the zillion other versions of the afterlife that you can find on the spiritual tinternet, oblivion sounds delicious.

Great view.
Old 17-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiBach

So would you actually PREFER oblivion??

What I struggle with here is the vast amounts of differing experiences that people have, they can't all be right, can they? So just how many are wrong?

I desperately want to believe in more, but even though there has been paranormal occurrence in my own family, I can't shake the feeling off that so much is wishful thinking, that the visions and voices that people see are self generated or at best a form of ESP that still doesn't suggest life after death.

In X Files terms, I guess I'm Scully but I sure envy Mulder even if I don't quite believe him fully
Old 17-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Master

afterlife does not extinguish being. it expands it.

kk
Old 17-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Ascender

If it's a real phenomenon, stripped of all the woolly "religious" elements I'm just surprised that science finds it so hard to detect. Also wouldn't we be literally besieged by the spirits of the dead as they must number billions and bilions by now?
Old 17-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Knower
Quote:
If it's a real phenomenon, stripped of all the woolly "religious" elements I'm just surprised that science finds it so hard to detect. Also wouldn't we be literally besieged by the spirits of the dead as they must number billions and bilions by now?

It is my belief that no one can ever be sure of that of which no one can be sure about. Everyone believes that their belief is so true to them nothing could seem to shake the foundations of that belief.

So many views and opinions, so many unquestionably correct, yet in the end bring no solace to one who seeks their own truth.

I would say hear the views of others, take what seems to resonate with you and discard what does not, but more so to take time to go within an to explore what seems true to you.

This in itself may not still satisfy the hunger you seek or many others, but in my experience something tells you that questioning is something we do and is expected while we live in a body. but there is an unexplainable sense, without words, that everything will be as it should be and that will be after our passing. There is an element of comfort in this 'sensing' which is surrounded by a 'knowing'.

I don't feel that any amount of questioning will satisfy eternal questions, but arriving at that place of sensing and knowing seems to invalidate any need for questions any more, life can then be lived.

I don't feel anyone else can lead you to this sensing and knowing , but its something that comes at the right time for you. I believe for me I have arrived at this point but could not describe it or teach it, but maybe there is some comfort in hearing that in time something does come but may have to go through a season of questioning first. (I have had plenty of years of that )
Old 17-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Ascender

I can follow that train of thought, if I was to ask you your convictions of the afterlife on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you be at??

I'm probably 5.5, somedays I might get up to 6.5 even 7, other days I'm down to as low as 4 or even 3 on a dark day (these are plentiful). many on here are so convinced from experience I suspect they will comfortably say 9.5 or 10.
Old 17-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Knower
Quote:
I can follow that train of thought, if I was to ask you your convictions of the afterlife on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you be at??

I'm probably 5.5, somedays I might get up to 6.5 even 7, other days I'm down to as low as 4 or even 3 on a dark day (these are plentiful). many on here are so convinced from experience I suspect they will comfortably say 9.5 or 10.

Interesting question. What comes to mind is where I am at in any given moment. My awareness of my own sensing and knowing may not always be at the forefront of my mind. (We all still have a life to live each day) and can easily take my focus away for a while, doesn't mean knowing its gone, but that I continue to live life at every moment.

If for some reason I may experience a surface event that may temporarily lead me to question (I would say about 7) I take a moment to step back, observe what's going on and find myself without decision reconnecting back to the truth of sensing and knowing, its hard to describe but in an instant to me the truth causes such an internal shift to an unexplainable contentment and peace (I can comfortably say 9 why not 10?) because while we are in this body there will always be trying waves of doubt resulting from the ego's continuous questioning and fear.

This dispels the surface experiences of life.

I believe completely where possible exploring, understanding and mastering the ego in itself brings a sense of freedom where truth can enter. Truth is there within each one of use, always has been, we are learning to remove the blocks to this awareness.