Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 16-12-2022, 07:40 AM
Master
P.S. you should be able to order a shaker bottle from the same place.
Old 16-12-2022, 11:30 AM
Pathfinder

Thanks, Gem. You spent real time in writing for me. So, what will be a good (Auspicious - you know we Hindus are very superstitious :))date to begin with my program? I intend to start with walking, squats and very light dumbbells. Twice a week, you mentioned. I have no body deformation, and have generally been healthy, thanks to my mother's genes.
Old 17-12-2022, 07:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav
Thanks, Gem. You spent real time in writing for me. So, what will be a good (Auspicious - you know we Hindus are very superstitious :))date to begin with my program? I intend to start with walking, squats and very light dumbbells. Twice a week, you mentioned. I have no body deformation, and have generally been healthy, thanks to my mother's genes.
I don't think there is a real start time. More like already started with something and add on and change things bit by bit as a you learn more.

Walking and squats are great, and dumbell very uusfeul.

But is missing the back of the body, calfs and hamstrings on back of legs, and all the back muscles. For hamstrings it is possible to do sliding hamstring curl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaecXxAgsKA and hip hinge are good too, but requires straight back with perfect posture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YthPiWRkZoU oh almost forgot wall leaning calf raise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIAls22vFpo (this coach is excellent.)

For back muscle you have to pull, so maybe an inverted row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8F6MzZ8Rk or it can be done like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjRwGy7UGM . Be aware if your grip strength doesn't make this a fall risk

Dumbell rows are also an option, but really needs proper posture and stable spine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFq5jdwWwX4

The main reason I promote bands is they are great for pulling (back exercises. Lots of ideas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfawH9NsTtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP4wM2JpDdQ

So just do 2 sets push up, some pulling with a row, overhead press, squats, hamstring curl or hip hinge, calf raise, bicep curl, shrugs and lateral raise. Look them up on you tube.

You could to the legs one day and upper body the next if that's easier, or do them all in one if you prefer. + always walking is perfect.

Last edited by Gem : 17-12-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 20-12-2022, 09:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
P.S. you should be able to order a shaker bottle from the same place.

Thank you so much.

I’ve been doing my alternate days of upper body/lower body. I’m doing the leg lunges and single leg lifts, plus crab walk with band. It’s helping me a lot knowing I’m doing them correctly. My body has been feeling all kinds of rearranging feelings, some days I literally can feel what these correct postures and exercises are shifting through other areas. I’ve still to add a few more you’ve suggested but I will. I think getting a few consistent ones happening first inspired me to extend myself a little more. I’ve noticed perfecting too many at once, I end up giving up. So I’m mindful and moving more aware of that without giving up.

I haven’t bought the protein yet but I’m researching it. I’m ensuring that I eat three serves of protein each meal as per you recommended. Ensuring it’s a whole protein source.

Another question if I might ask.

Is there an exercise that would mimic the gym equipment, where by you weight the legs with the box weight and push up or like a Pilates machine where you extend with a the slide out and in. I’m thinking more about resistance and full extension of legs, on the floor in some way of this exercise?

I hope that makes sense..
Old 20-12-2022, 11:26 PM
Master
I lift donuts, into my mouth for consumption. Does that count as "lifting?"
Old 20-12-2022, 11:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight

That must give you a ring of confidence..haha
Old 20-12-2022, 11:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
That must give you a ring of confidence..haha

It does leave me with quite the doughy feeling inside.
Old 21-12-2022, 07:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
I’ve been doing my alternate days of upper body/lower body. protein each meal as per you recommended. Ensuring it’s a whole protein source. full extension of legs, on the floor in some way of this exercise?
Exactly right. Start with some things, let them settle in, and add a bit at a time. It's only natural you get used to something and then want to do more. We call it 'progressive overload' - as we adapt to doing a hard thing, we become capable of doing even harder things - and want to do them.

If you can get high protein with every meal consistenty, that's much better, and you won't need a supplement. Supplement is just a way to make sure you don't miss, and is really only for convenience.

The leg extension machine is really good but there is no good substitute for it. There is another kind of split squat called the ATG split squat https://www.youtube.com/shorts/w-hUIxnHnzA it, it has a bigger range of motion, and it stretched the hip flexors

I personally don't think a reformer is good for leg workouts because for many of them you lie on the reformer, which removes removes the back and core muscles that brace the breath to stablise the spine. I don't see many you tubers explaining the breath with split squats, which is sloppy, but we still have to brace effectively.

In the Gym we have machines that are kinda like the reformer, Leg press, hack squat, leg extension, and they are fine and I love them, but they don't replace real lifting which requires the whole body to control weight. You will notice in the split squat your body is in the air, so you have to actually balance and not lie on a bed or hold on with hands... you need to control everything - much like yoga - with mind/body awareness. The motions are finely controlled, so you slow it down and remain aware of every millimeter of the movement.

It means in a movement like the squat or split squat or a step up, the upper body is not relaxed. It's braced rigid by the core and pressure of the breath, And the hands are clenched with fists pushing down to tighten up arms, shoulder girdle, and upper back a bit.

There re two kinds of bracing. One where you hold your breath and brace the core, which we use for heavy barbell lifting, and one where you keep breathing with pressuried breath, which we use for athletic control.

For example with a split squat, you stand in the start position with a bit of core tension for stability, breath in as we descend feeling the pressure build. Hold the breath braceing for a pause at the bottom, and after initiating the push at the bottom, breath out steady maintaining the core in brace after you start moving back up. The core is always engaged with the pressure of the breath. You'll be able to feel it come natural because the body already knows how to keep the spine safe, and once you consciously feel it out while moving, reaching, even coughing, and see it working, you'll notice how it translates for all exercise and movement. Similarly the single leg romanian deadlift needs a braced core to maintain level hips and a straight line through the torso down to the heel of the lifted foot. It should be happening already, so you just become conscious of it, then it's under your control.

The breathing brace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03m3B4t7I0

Probably ranting and going off track, but I think understanding the breath and core as the body remains stable and strong in the air is better and safer than lying on a reformer or imitating stability be holding on with the hands. (Pilates has a pretty high injury rate actually, and even though they have amazing core strength, I think most of them get a few things wrong).
Old 21-12-2022, 07:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
Yes, but you have to progress gradually to lifting bigger and bigger donuts.
Old 21-12-2022, 08:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I am over 6 foot with a narrow skeleton, 'lanky', so I squat and deadlift like a baby giraffe drinking water, but I have full range of motion, my posture is fine and form looks good, so they're my foundational exercises. I think they are essential basic movements for anyone who can do them.

We have very different builds Gem....On a good day I'm just a smidge under 5'8" Thick arms and delts , thick legs....a broad back with a fairly narrow waist (32")

My arms are very slightly longish....one of the things that held me back excelling at bench press when I was competitive and causing my wife to occasionally rib me about having a bit of a great ape look when I standing relaxed with my arms hanging straight down ....LOL! But that same thing made me great at the deadlift!

I get the "baby giraffe having a drink" thing....I have a buddy at the gym who's 6'5" and when he does squats it sure looks like its a loooong waaaay down and back up again for him!

He screws with me all the time saying he's twice as strong as I am because he has to move the exact same weight twice as far on every rep! .....maybe he's right!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!