Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 14-02-2021, 04:02 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
Today I refuse to accept that we are in any way subjected to any sort of supernatural laws or 'divinely' imposed rules and regulations as to what we think, do or act.
Changing the words we choose to attempt to modernise the ancient understanding of karma doesn't work for me either.
We have had enough of goodies and baddies; the universe doesn't care what you do, it offers no moral guidance - how you live your life is up to you - how could it be otherwise.
For karma to work (as a so-called balancer or equaliser) there would need to be some sort of esoteric or celestial or holy or angelic intelligence constantly interfering with all of our lives - basing its decisions on each person's thoughts, words and actions.
Freedom gone out of the window. Together with what we like to call 'free will'.
If the result of those people's karma who went on the Titanic is a typical example of the workings of karma and if all that happens in the world is karma and we have no place for accidents then we have got ourselves into a fine mess.
The mere thought of the immesurable requirements needed to plan the sinking of the Titanic and the chosen (because of their karma) passengers and crew on the ship being right there at that time and the iceberg having to be placed in exactly the right place at the right moment makes one's head reel.

It's always a matter of scales we talk about . Beliefs and/or disbeliefs in matters such as this may not always cause any difference to an individual.
Even before it Galileo / copernicus found earth is round , the life of people before and after discovery substantially remained similar at least for a century.

So you can definitely hold on to your beliefs with firm convictions. And absolutely God willing it may not matter anything to u at all .

Quote:
India's new attitude to the caste system is at last being understood to be a horrible way to let karma take over lives.

Though in history due to poor knowledge / study of religion due to political onslaughts and due to vested religious interests people have committed crimes in the name of caste system , the caste system originally before millenium was occupational specialization with no occupation superior / inferior . Today's commonly known discriminatory caste system is the subverted abused manipulated version and not the one mandated through original texts. Nevertheless current state, constitution and people of India simply abhor discriminatory practices of any sort. So its not an issue now.

So there is no attitude in India as u claim to take over lives of other people . That's simply your personal view not supported by reality we envisage here in India.

Quote:
Every one of us stands (in the present) at the high point of our personal evolution so there is no need to brand people right from the very beginning as to their rights, talents and capabilities.

I have led a wonderful life - I don't know why I have been so lucky - but I cannot for the life of me think that it has happened as it has because of some lurking spiritual force.

As explained earlier life is very vast and u can virtually believe whatever you want . Universe has no time and inclination to respond to our beliefs individually. It has it's world running on auto-pilot mode through its own set rules (also known as sciences ) . It does not care for my or your beliefs individually.
Old 15-02-2021, 06:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Can you prove that to me, thanks.
give me a situation to work with.
Old 15-02-2021, 06:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
What makes negative karma negative? What makes positive karma positive? And when something 'bad' happens to you and it becomes negative karma from a past life, wouldn't it be a good idea to think that through before letting mentality loose on it?
http://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/...ightfold-path/
so, long story short it's this? "The Secret” is simply the “law of attraction.” Essentially, the law of attraction states that whatever consumes your thoughts is what you will eventually get in life. So, if you think of all the things you don't want in your life, you'll only get the things you don't want.
Old 15-02-2021, 07:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
give me a situation to work with.

Well can you prove karma actually works, I myself feel that karma is useful in keeping those who would otherwise do harm to others, not to do harm to others, more or less a scare tactic for the ignorant.
Old 15-02-2021, 08:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Well can you prove karma actually works, I myself feel that karma is useful in keeping those who would otherwise do harm to others, not to do harm to others, more or less a scare tactic for the ignorant.
I understand what your saying, and I may be missing the point on karma. To me It's just a piece in a huge puzzle known as life. But it something that can be controlled, i don't fear karma. I use it as a tool, like glasses to look into my own soul. Like any tool there's many different ways to use it. What makes it frightening is just that, looking into your own soul can be the most frightening place to see. If your satisfied with your life, your doing it right, if not I may be something worth looking at.
Old 15-02-2021, 08:24 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
so, long story short it's this? "The Secret” is simply the “law of attraction.” Essentially, the law of attraction states that whatever consumes your thoughts is what you will eventually get in life. So, if you think of all the things you don't want in your life, you'll only get the things you don't want.
Oops, wrong link. Try this one -
https://www.thebuddhistsociety.org/p...ns-and-results

Quote:
I understand what your saying, and I may be missing the point on karma. To me It's just a piece in a huge puzzle known as life. But it something that can be controlled, i don't fear karma. I use it as a tool, like glasses to look into my own soul. Like any tool there's many different ways to use it. What makes it frightening is just that, looking into your own soul can be the most frightening place to see.
In the original Sanskrit karma meant 'action', nothing more. Then it became 'cause and effect' but these days it's reward/punishment mentality. With kamma-vipaka, in short it's more like intention -> action -> -effect -> results.
Old 15-02-2021, 08:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Oops, wrong link. Try this one -
https://www.thebuddhistsociety.org/p...ns-and-results

In the original Sanskrit karma meant 'action', nothing more. Then it became 'cause and effect' but these days it's reward/punishment mentality. With kamma-vipaka, in short it's more like intention -> action -> -effect -> results.
I don't see cause and effect being reward/punishment, but I can see how people can look at it that way. I do know what you mean. It's all the same idea there's just many different ways to get to the same mindset. however one words if you really pay attention to your actions you can control the results. The hardest part about understanding or wanting to understand is expecting the good with the bad. If a result is bad to you, you have the power to change it or make the best of it.
Old 15-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
I don't see cause and effect being reward/punishment, but I can see how people can look at it that way. I do know what you mean. It's all the same idea there's just many different ways to get to the same mindset. however one words if you really pay attention to your actions you can control the results. The hardest part about understanding or wanting to understand is expecting the good with the bad. If a result is bad to you, you have the power to change it or make the best of it.
Often mindset has more to do withy Spirituality than Spirituality and more should read about the Eightfold Path. Maybe that would change the discussions on karma.

So I give you a swift kick in the pants because it's the only way you'll learn and my sincere intentions is to bring you Enlightenment? I can't control your reactions and I doubt you're going to thank me. Or I do something really nice with the same intentions and you ignore it? It's conscience for me, not karma.

If the result is bad to you then you have made the choice to create that as your own reality, when you could have made a different choice and gained something. The "What?" isn't karma, it's you. And if you have expectations?
Old 16-02-2021, 02:13 AM
Master
Quote:
I understand what your saying, and I may be missing the point on karma. To me It's just a piece in a huge puzzle known as life. But it something that can be controlled, i don't fear karma. I use it as a tool, like glasses to look into my own soul. Like any tool there's many different ways to use it. What makes it frightening is just that, looking into your own soul can be the most frightening place to see. If your satisfied with your life, your doing it right, if not I may be something worth looking at.

Yes interesting, and yes I am most satisfied with my life, I must be doing something right lol.
Old 16-02-2021, 04:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes interesting, and yes I am most satisfied with my life, I must be doing something right lol.
That's all that matters.