Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa
Different people have different views on how this is best handled, but to be on the safe side, I think I will try to quit it totally, just because I feel it is like playing with fire
It sure can be, especially if it's in your family background. It really is a good idea you've had, I would go with it.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Henri77

We all applaud your wisdom to do something before it becomes a serious issue.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Master

Thanks. I appreciate all of your support.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
simon

Quote:
I am feeling that maybe I should give up alcohol, because although I do not feel that I have much of a habit at this point, I don't know how quickly addiction can occur. Especially, I know alcoholism runs on one side of my family, and it seems I am discovering that I have a significant amount of Native American heritage. Native Americans, I've read, can have a gene which makes it more difficult for them to process alcohol and more prone to alcoholism.
I already suppose I have a bit of a habit, but I don't think it is very severe. I just fear that I may slip into real, serious addiction before I realize it, especially if I'm predisposed genetically.
Do you have any tips for stopping alcohol, or keeping it to a moderate level? Right now I have about 1 to 3 drinks most days, and I have a day or two per week without drinking. This doesn't seem like that much to me, but as I said, I am afraid I might be prone to alcoholism due to genetics, I don't know.

Drinking alcohol only gets more frequent as time goes on unless it is consciously controlled, as does cigarette smoking. if you don't give up then controlling your drinking is the way to go, whatever you do; being in charge of your own well being is important to you and those that love you
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Jason72

Heres a good book.

Easy Way to Control Alcohol

by Allen Carr
Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Master

There was a group that tried to help alcoholics control their drinking instead of quitting entirely. It didn't last too long though, the founder killed himself in a drunk driving crash. Unfortunately control is not the way addiction works. People that can control their drinking are not alcoholics.

Alcoholics want to control their drinking because they're addicted and don't want to give it up. And they usually don't recognize they are alcoholics until the disease has progressed to the point that much in life has been lost. Denial is a very big part of alcoholism. That's not any great insight, it's pretty well understood by anyone familiar with it.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Master

Thanks, yes, I've seen some people try to control their alcohol intake and limit it. Sometimes it seems tempting, but I know I'm fooling myself, because the hangover is often worse than the drinking is helpful. And the drinking really isn't that helpful anyway. If I ever give in, I will try to only give in maybe once a week, but I still will feel like I've failed in a way. So I'm not setting that as my aim, it's just that if I find myself falling, I have to forgive myself and then make myself stop there, instead of sliding in deeper because of denial and apathy, giving up. There is degree of failure, though. But as long as I'm strong-willed and focused, I feel absolutely sure I can quit it entirely, and I'm confident that is what I should do, because I feel that I shouldn't take the risk of trying to be a moderate drinker. Some people may be able to do so. I might be able to, but it is too risky for me to try, because for me, I think it would be too difficult sometimes to resist. The habit has a tendency to escalate itself, physiologically, or to make you want more, because it didn't really fix your problems and you want that quick fix to numb things again. So I intend to really stop drinking, and I have done so pretty well, since I declared the intent.
Thanks for that book recommendation, Jason72.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
simon

Quote:
Thanks, yes, I've seen some people try to control their alcohol intake and limit it. Sometimes it seems tempting, but I know I'm fooling myself, because the hangover is often worse than the drinking is helpful. And the drinking really isn't that helpful anyway. If I ever give in, I will try to only give in maybe once a week, but I still will feel like I've failed in a way. So I'm not setting that as my aim, it's just that if I find myself falling, I have to forgive myself and then make myself stop there, instead of sliding in deeper because of denial and apathy, giving up. There is degree of failure, though. But as long as I'm strong-willed and focused, I feel absolutely sure I can quit it entirely, and I'm confident that is what I should do, because I feel that I shouldn't take the risk of trying to be a moderate drinker. Some people may be able to do so. I might be able to, but it is too risky for me to try, because for me, I think it would be too difficult sometimes to resist. The habit has a tendency to escalate itself, physiologically, or to make you want more, because it didn't really fix your problems and you want that quick fix to numb things again. So I intend to really stop drinking, and I have done so pretty well, since I declared the intent.
Thanks for that book recommendation, Jason72.

I'm so pleased you know where you want to go
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
I am feeling that maybe I should give up alcohol, because although I do not feel that I have much of a habit at this point, I don't know how quickly addiction can occur. Especially, I know alcoholism runs on one side of my family, and it seems I am discovering that I have a significant amount of Native American heritage. Native Americans, I've read, can have a gene which makes it more difficult for them to process alcohol and more prone to alcoholism.
I already suppose I have a bit of a habit, but I don't think it is very severe. I just fear that I may slip into real, serious addiction before I realize it, especially if I'm predisposed genetically.
Do you have any tips for stopping alcohol, or keeping it to a moderate level? Right now I have about 1 to 3 drinks most days, and I have a day or two per week without drinking. This doesn't seem like that much to me, but as I said, I am afraid I might be prone to alcoholism due to genetics, I don't know.

I cannot recommend this enough!! Alcohol destroys our awareness. If we even have a couple of glasses at the weekend, our mindfulness for the whole week gets severely diminished. We don't notice this when we do drink, so a lot of people will disagree.

I was like you, I had a bit of a habit, then a lot of a habit, then serious alcoholism. I'm not saying you will necessarily go that way, but I became more and more unaware of things until I was practically brain dead. I quit altogether 2 and a half years ago, six months down the line as my awareness started returning I had a very profound spiritual awakening that rocked my whole world. My awareness has continually got more and more profound and still continues. I can't even begin to describe the difference it has made to my mind, my reflection, memories, mindfulness, awareness, contemplation.

I encourage you to make the break.

edit, as you've probably guessed I would recommend the complete break, not just cutting down. The only tip I can really give you for this is to feel an inspiration from within to become a non drinker. It is more than a shift from something that is unhealthy. In my eyes, mine was a spiritual decision without knowing it. Don't expect massive changes, just be inspired to be free of it.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 AM
nawaz

reiki helps with addictions. i'd suggest finding a master you can trust and getting yourself up the levels good luck mate