Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 22-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Ascender
Question Weightlifting

Sure, I can google and I will. Personal trainer? At some point, maybe. I took weightlifting in high school but do you really think I paid attention? Nah. At the gym right now, I'm planning on doing a full body workout once or twice a week to build muscle then doing my own stuff at home. No idea what I am doing. Just blindly going for all the machines I come across.

I am curious about how much weight to use, when to increase weight, how many sets/reps, when to incorporate cardio, etc. Looking to really tone up arms and grow booty. My quads bulk up fast so I don't want to get them all ripped just the butt.

Any advice? Workouts would be appreciated too!
Old 22-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Master
I think its good to start on the machines because they hold you in position, but after a month or so start using more free weights. Go on u-tube to get workouts for any part of the body - and there are instructional videos for any particular exercise.
Old 22-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Master
Oh yea... almost forgot. Diet is important too.
Old 22-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Experiencer

If you want to build up your arms and back and glutes, do pushups and squats. Those form the major part of my workout every day and not to brag or anything, but for a 61 year old woman, I have great arms. And the squats, well if you try for 20 the first day and really feel them the next, then you know you've found an exercise that will do you a world of good in the short and long run. All maybe in the short run after the pain ceases ;-)

I've also read recently that cardio is just not that great for your body. Depending on how hard you push it, it actually releases free radicals into your system and free radicals are super for aging you. Mind you, maybe if you really upped your consumption of antioxidants like blueberries, etc., maybe that would counteract that problem. Anyway my guess is that 'aging' isn't what you want right so don't take my word for it on that specifically, perhaps Googling 'cardio exercise free radicals' will give you more information.
Old 23-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Knower

A good rule of thumb is less weight and more reps for muscle tone, more weight and fewer reps to build muscle. Start with what you think you can lift, then adjust it up or down as necessary. Once you've established a routine, when you get to the point where it seems relatively easy to lift, bump up the weight. Don't forget to stretch between sets.
Old 29-09-2016, 04:49 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think its good to start on the machines because they hold you in position, but after a month or so start using more free weights. Go on u-tube to get workouts for any part of the body - and there are instructional videos for any particular exercise.

Sweet :) Thanks, yo! I remember you talking about going to the gym in chat.
Old 29-09-2016, 04:54 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
If you want to build up your arms and back and glutes, do pushups and squats. Those form the major part of my workout every day and not to brag or anything, but for a 61 year old woman, I have great arms. And the squats, well if you try for 20 the first day and really feel them the next, then you know you've found an exercise that will do you a world of good in the short and long run. All maybe in the short run after the pain ceases ;-)

I've also read recently that cardio is just not that great for your body. Depending on how hard you push it, it actually releases free radicals into your system and free radicals are super for aging you. Mind you, maybe if you really upped your consumption of antioxidants like blueberries, etc., maybe that would counteract that problem. Anyway my guess is that 'aging' isn't what you want right so don't take my word for it on that specifically, perhaps Googling 'cardio exercise free radicals' will give you more information.

Good info. Thank you much!

That is great about you keeping fit at 61. I hope that I have the same drive. My arms are pretty flabby. Be my boot camp drill Sargent lol

I really tore my booty cheeks up yesterday at the gym lol. Squats, bench lunges with weights, more squats with weight, etc etc

It's been a few weeks of working on it and can already see some good change!
Old 29-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Healer
A good rule of thumb is less weight and more reps for muscle tone, more weight and fewer reps to build muscle. Start with what you think you can lift, then adjust it up or down as necessary. Once you've established a routine, when you get to the point where it seems relatively easy to lift, bump up the weight. Don't forget to stretch between sets.

Cool, thanks!

It looks like I will only have 1 day a week to full body weight lift at the gym.
Do you think as long as I am doing toning with smaller bar bells and my own body weight that this will still be productive? Or should I be lifting 2 or 3 times a week?
Old 29-09-2016, 05:25 AM
Experiencer
Increase at a gradual pace
And don't follow no pain no gain

If you are hurting yourself
Then you are hurting yourself

Warm up before hand
Stretch afterword

The post workout stretch is very important
• • • • •
Look softer
Breather deeper