Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 22-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice

I'm not so sure about a pathless zen. Dogen speaks of the circle of the way.

Dogen, in the Bendowa, wrote: "Commitment to Zen is casting off body and mind."

If your zendo is the kitchen sink, what is the practical relevance of the above teaching in your daily life? I asked this question ten years ago when I could not practice my zendo at the "kitchen sink" because the body and mind are components of the temporal world. If you can do this, you have the obligation to tell me.
Old 22-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
You are making a distinction between mind-made Hell and human-made Hell. The former is mental while the latter is material (and affects the mind also)
No distinction, each effects the other.
Old 22-07-2021, 06:43 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Dogen, in the Bendowa, wrote: "Commitment to Zen is casting off body and mind."
If your zendo is the kitchen sink, what is the practical relevance of the above teaching in your daily life?
I asked this question ten years ago when I could not practice my zendo at the "kitchen sink" because the body and mind are components of the temporal world. ..
Sorry, I am under no obligation to tell you anything.

But apparently Dogen had a "breakthrough" when he was learning his trade in China, when he was practising alongside another novice. The novice beside him slid off to sleep and the master roared:- "How dare you fall asleep when seeking to cast off body and mind!"

My understanding is that Dogenp sought the answers to his own questions, and sought his own "time and place".

By the way, is your job here to continually poke at newcomers in as enigmatic way as possible?

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 22-07-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Shortened quote as Admin has asked to 2-3 sentences
Old 22-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Various commentaries on the Mahayana texts continually make the point that though there are in the ultimate sense no others, yet a bodhisattva vows to save them.
Ah but do the others the Bodhisattva is saving know that there are no others
Old 22-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Ah but do the others the Bodhisattva is saving know that there are no others

Ah ha! Like I said, its all about the two truths, conventional and absolute. They get very mixed up at times, particularly in my mind!

Empty-handed I entered the world
Barefoot I leave it.
My coming, my going —
Two simple happenings
That got entangled.

(Basho - apparently a "death poem"..... )
Old 22-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Quote:
By the way, is your job here to continually poke at newcomers in as enigmatic way as possible?
He does this to all of us.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 22-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Master

Quote:
I was afraid that I could seem that way but you came across as quite masterful in the way of zen, and I wanted to learn. A sharp mind such as yours is a rare find, and I couldn't resist drawing my katana to make an iaijutsu strike.

No offense intended.
Old 23-07-2021, 06:28 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
I was afraid that I could seem that way but you came across as quite masterful in the way of zen, and I wanted to learn. A sharp mind such as yours is a rare find, and I couldn't resist drawing my katana to make an iaijutsu strike.

No offense intended.
No offence taken. I have a quite whimsical sense of humour.

I truly do follow the Pure Land way of "no-calculation" (it has a fancy Japanese name) I just answer pretty spontaneously. I have read a lot. It genuinely virtually frightens me that it can be viewed as "masterful"!

Old 23-07-2021, 09:16 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Most people do not realize that Buddhist believe in Hell.
One of Buddha's sutta's, the Devaduta Sutta, talks a lot about hell. Buddha even describes it as full of fire which is odd as it matches another religions description of hell.

One can read it here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....130.than.html
Old 23-07-2021, 12:16 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
One of Buddha's sutta's, the Devaduta Sutta, talks a lot about hell. Buddha even describes it as full of fire which is odd as it matches another religions description of hell.

One can read it here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....130.than.html

Obviously one fundamental difference between the various Buddhist hells and those of certain other Faiths is that they are not eternal. There can always be hope in them, their flames (or the poking and prodding of pitchforks) can always prove remedial. Thus the weeping and gnashing of teeth are not acts of total despair.

I have always loved the story of the Buddha himself descending into some of the deepest, darkest, blackest pits, lamp in hand. By it's light those there are heard to exclaim:- "Ah, there are others here besides myself." The beginning of the moral sense.