Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
dragon charms

Got the winter blah's already?

Winter blues happens to many people. I’m one of them. Over the years I’ve tried to do certain things differently in the winter, to lighten that up. What do you do to cure the winter blues? I’m just sharing some thoughts here.

For me, the seasons bring with them activities and energies specific to them selves. In the Spring I find I am more anxious to get going. To get outside. To start new projects. I feel more energy.

In the summer, I feel a steady rhythm of work. Getting things tended to. Enjoying all the growth that is happening. Accomplishing projects.

In the Fall, I feel a slowing down. Harvesting the things that grew. Being thankful for what I accomplished in the earlier seasons. I prepare for the even slower pace of winter. I feel a deep sense of fullness at this time. Provisions stored.

In the Winter, I do feel a slow down. I am not as active. I rest more. Sleep more. Nap more. The weather doesn’t permit me to play outside very often. There isn’t enough sunlight and I slip into the doldrums of winter. These are some things I’ve been doing for that.

1. I bought special natural lighting bulbs to aid the darkness of the house in winter time. That helps a good deal.
2. I gather craft materials in the Fall, so I have things to keep occupied with in winter.
3. New books in for winter reading.
4. I make sure there is something new to learn in the winter. It could be a new craft. New recipes. Something new to keep mind stimulated.
5. I shake up my normal routine of things. I clean out things I no longer need, or get rid of clutter. I try and get cleared spaces.
6. I meditate more. I think about other people more. Write thank you cards or your on my mind cards. Reaching out and sending the love.
7. And I tend to think about the new year, what I would like to do in that year, goals. I make lists. Then I let it go. :)
8. I reflect on the year’s lessons and things I went through. I keep a journal of spiritual thoughts and insights or explorations. Another one for daily thoughts.
9. And I bake and bake and bake!

Do you have any goodies that work for you ? :)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Master
I only rarely get the winter blues, because it's my favorite time of year, love 'em all though...I think the barometer is more of an effect on me...not sure how or why. Right now it's 11 am and the wind is blowing like mad here, very unusual but I love it. I have a large picture (about 4 feet sq) that I haven't put on the wall yet in front of my window and leaning up a gainst something and it got blown over a moment ago. The restless winds of fall and winter kind of rouse me and I feel happy also because more people out doing stuff, shopping, school related activities, gives more people to watch and it's a great show.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Neville

I generally take Vitamin D supplements in the Short days, It is effective for me. Here is some more information;

http://www.drbriffa.com/2004/10/03/s...-disorder-sad/
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Deactivated Account
Yes I do feel more down in the winter and the long drawn out evenings make me feel quite sad. It might hit me harder this year as I don't have my son here so much. I'm trying to see it as a time of reflection but in all fairness I reflect all year anyway!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
dragon charms

good idea :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
I generally take Vitamin D supplements in the Short days, It is effective for me. Here is some more information;

http://www.drbriffa.com/2004/10/03/s...-disorder-sad/

Thanks Neville. I'll get some and try it :)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
dragon charms

Maybe some chocolate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Yes I do feel more down in the winter and the long drawn out evenings make me feel quite sad. It might hit me harder this year as I don't have my son here so much. I'm trying to see it as a time of reflection but in all fairness I reflect all year anyway!!

I'm feeling it for you Starbuck. Hope light shines and sends it's warmth your way this winter.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
dragon charms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I only rarely get the winter blues, because it's my favorite time of year, love 'em all though...I think the barometer is more of an effect on me...not sure how or why. Right now it's 11 am and the wind is blowing like mad here, very unusual but I love it. I have a large picture (about 4 feet sq) that I haven't put on the wall yet in front of my window and leaning up a gainst something and it got blown over a moment ago. The restless winds of fall and winter kind of rouse me and I feel happy also because more people out doing stuff, shopping, school related activities, gives more people to watch and it's a great show.

Ah, activities where you are :) I'm rural and there won't be much to see but the white silence and gray sky. (rural) I used to grab my sled and make tons of hot chocolate to take with me for those steep hills :) Now, it's just the hot chocolate. lol Which isn't totally bad! If they made sled's with foam sides and bottom and a seat belt,...I might.........:)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Sungirl

Look into Seasonal Affective Dissorder. It is very real and has a powerful effect.

I take large doses (6000iu a day at the momen) of Vit D3 along with magnesium to aid uptake. I also make sure there is calcium and Beta Carotene in my diet as that helps too.

Also, look into circadian rythms. It's ok having a SAD lamp but it has to be strong enough, used at the right distance, for the right length of time and at the right time.

I am supposed to use a 10000 lux lamp 50cm from my eyes for half an hour at 6.30am. I manage it apart from the fact that it is at 7.00am.

Get exercise to raise seratonin levels too. I am supposed to go out for half an hour at lunch time but fail most of the time.

There is a very good yahoo group here http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/S-A-D/?yguid=320957277 that is specifically for SAD.

This year I was planning to spend more time in my sanctuary meditation and writing in my journal, along with doing some more decorating. Unfortunately the bookkeeping course I have just taken on will put a stop to a lot of that as I will be spending my time studying.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon charms
Ah, activities where you are :) I'm rural and there won't be much to see but the white silence and gray sky. (rural) I used to grab my sled and make tons of hot chocolate to take with me for those steep hills :) Now, it's just the hot chocolate. lol Which isn't totally bad! If they made sled's with foam sides and bottom and a seat belt,...I might.........:)

Having grown up in Pennsylvania, I remember sledding wasn't a soft, easy 'sport', LOL. The most amazing thing we ever found to sled on was an old car hood from a lead sled, when cars usedta be cars, heh. There was a huge hill perfect for that. One time, after dark, about 7 or 8 of us on the car hood took it down the hill ~ I hoped an older, more mature kid on that sled knew what they were doing, knowing there was a barbed wire fence at the bottom somewhere...considering how fast we went, I don't know why we didn't connect with the fence. It was quite a thrill!