Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 29-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Master
QUOTE 97 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
Historical facts can explain a very great deal but without appropriate context go no further. I am little interested, though, in what people believe or why they believe what they do. I'm influenced most by what spirit teachers widely acknowledged as authoritative have taught us.

In keeping with what you wrote, " I'm (also) influenced most by what spirit teachers widely acknowledged as authoritative have taught us" as opposed to spirits who are generally not at that level of understanding. While the history of spiritualism is interesting to some degree in understanding others, its practical benefits are extremely limited (at least for me).
Old 29-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Deactivated Account
A working knowledge of the history of Modern Spiritualism is important for SNU mediums when they're working in SNU churches because an address is often given before a demonstration of mediumship. That can contain snippets of history along with a generalised explanation of survival and spirit communication along with, of course, any spirit-inspired message the medium receives.

If I need historical data I can find any amount of thoroughly-researched material from Paul Gaunt at the click of my mouse. Paul is curator of the Britten Museum & Library at the Arthur Findlay College, a lecturer, researcher and Editor of SNU Pioneer Journal. (https://www.arthurfindlaycollege.org/tutors/paul-gaunt/) His personal knowledge of Spiritualism and its history is awesome and his writing and presentation skills exemplary.

Anyone interested in the hisory of Spiritualism should make Paul their turn-to source of information. He produces 'The Pioneer' a bi-monthly online publication which is now part of the recommended reading for the Spiritualists’ National Union’s education courses and is free to subscribe or read/download at:https://www.snu.org.uk/the-pioneer-journal An archive of past 'Pioneers' is available at that same web address.
Old 29-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Master
QUOTE 102 EXCERPT:

Quote:

A working knowledge of the history of Modern Spiritualism is important......

I agree with you that "a working knowledge of Modern Spiritism is important" for various reasons as you indicated. I came to this thread because I was interested in how it developed and, based on my personal experiences, I was wondering why it was so Christian-oriented. Now I understand somewhat. This has been a very interesting thread thus far, and I appreciate your input.
Old 29-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 102 EXCERPT:

I agree with you that "a working knowledge of Modern Spiritism is important" for various reasons as you indicated.
But that's not what I wrote..... Spiritualism is not Spiritism and vice versa.
Old 29-04-2022, 06:38 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
I came to this thread because I was interested in how it developed and, based on my personal experiences, I was wondering why it was so Christian-oriented. Now I understand somewhat. This has been a very interesting thread thus far, and I appreciate your input.
Thank you for your thoughts but really I haven't contributed anything much to the actual topic - History of Spiritualism. And as I stated earllier I'm not knowledgeable about that so I won't write about it in any detail.

I am blissfully unaware whether it used to be (imperfect tense) truly orientated towards, or by, Christianity but I'm not aware of much influence from Christianity other than in Christian Spiritualism - a bizarre hybrid.

Perhaps the most influence I'm aware of in UK Modern Spiritualism is the so-called Divine Service on Sundays. I won't attend those because they're too similar to certain mainstream religions' approach.
Old 29-04-2022, 06:49 PM
Deactivated Account
Apologies for being off-topic here but this may be of interest to some - quote footnote 1 https://www.arthurfindlaycollege.org/tutors/paul-gaunt/:

"The material in Psypioneer deals with historic personages and organisations in the psychic field, and includes reprints of obituaries and other biographical sketches, old articles, book reviews and original papers. The most influential reprint (in April 2005) was of the Lewis Report into the Hydesville phenomena of 1848. Archived at: http://www.iapsop.com/psypioneer/"

(I realise there's another thread where this would be most relevant but I hope folk will forgive my posting it here.)
Old 30-04-2022, 05:33 AM
Master
Quote:
But that's not what I wrote..... Spiritualism is not Spiritism and vice versa.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the famous Spiritualist, wrote that Spiritism is Spiritualist, but they are not vice versa.

During Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's time, Spiritualist in Europe and in America both did not believe in Reincarnation whereas Spiritist did which put in that context, I would say Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was right for that time period. In this time period, some Spiritualist believe in Reincarnation whereas some do not. Because of this, there is at times a conflict among the Spiritualist over the issue of Reincarnation.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Last edited by BigJohn : 01-05-2022 at 05:04 AM.
Old 30-04-2022, 06:06 AM
Master
Quote:

EXCERPT

While the history of spiritualism is interesting to some degree in understanding others, its practical benefits are extremely limited (at least for me).

As for me, it seems my Spirit has for most of my life been yearning for something but could not put my fingers on it. Now, I see 'things' coming together. When I get thru discussing Swedenborg, I hope others can 'see' what I 'see'.

All I wish is that I had access to such information when I was growing up. It just was not available. I tried my best to find 'it' but to no avail. When I was in 6th grade, they would test us for reading speed. Sometimes, we were tested almost every day. My speed was always the same, about 2500 words per minute. When I got to high school, I would not study but go to the library, read the newspapers, the new magazines and then a book. Back then, I could read a science fiction novel (generally 300 pages) in about 1/2 hour. As much as I read, I could not get my hands on the stuff that 'helps' to put things together.

After high school, I could see 'patterns' but could not put my 'fingers' on how they all relate. Then I started studying history and noticed various 'patterns' and began seeing how 'things' relate. SpiritualForums has helped, especially all of the Forums.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 30-04-2022, 06:31 AM
Master
Swedenborg's followers believe in one God, Jehovah and are followers of the Ten Commandments. It is interesting that the name of God, in this case Jehovah, surfaces every once in a while. But in this case, Jehovah is believed to have incarnated on Earth as Jesus. Oddly enough, they don't believe in a Trinity. Their belief is summarized as the Father being the original divine being, the Son being the human embodiment of that divine soul, and the Holy Spirit being the outflowing activity of Jesus known as the 'Divine Human'.

Old 30-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Deactivated Account
As a long-time Modern Spiritualist I am interested in the mechanics of the movement as it presently operates, the people involved, the principle of survival and spirit communication which are its bedrock.

Its history is a very minor part of the day-to-day operation and of little practical relevance to adherents of the religion we Spiritualists know as Spiritualism. Interest in the history of the religion and philosophy from anyone not a Spiritualist appears essentially academic or curiosity.

Understandably most non-Spiritualists are likely to have little interest in Spiritualism or its history.