Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 28-06-2015, 01:53 AM
Master
Added Extras

Hello meditators,

My philosophy is less is more, so as I read about devices and beats and guided soundtrack and so on, I begin to wonder, what if these extras were not available?

Cheers.

Old 28-06-2015, 06:19 AM
Master

I think it's the same thing with communication.
In the far past we communicated with smoke signals.
Now most of us are online.
I think humanbeings have the tendency of using what's available.
But don't forget humanbeings have a strong sense of adaptability too.
Especially when certain things are normal and not known.

ps.
I, personally, like to keep my meditation as natural as possible.
I try not to even use a time device in my practice.
Old 28-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Ivy

I just sit down and switch off. But, having said that gem, I've been meditating for many years and find it relatively easy to do that - and if I can't it's usually because I have something on my mind and I take that time to sort that out.

But I have used relaxing music in the past - and I think that helped at the time because my thinking mind focussed into the music and switched off that way.

In workshops, I quite enjoy guided meditation/visualisation as it is a useful way to communicate with the psyche. I would call that visualisation rather than meditation, but of people are doing that and calling it meditation, it doesn't matter if it's what is useful to them.

I've done mediation in movement and include tai-chi in this. And that is something that was extremely beneficial to me in reconnecting with my body.

None of these extras are necessary, and meditation never leaves us without them. I guess f someone had never tried meditation without some device, it would be interesting for them to try that and see how they get on.
Old 28-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Master
Hi
I started with normal meditation and could not sit still for even 8 min.
The 8 min felt like for ever and my mind was very restless and i had to think to myself the guidlines to the meditation.

So for a beginner the guided meditation was great cause the voice tells you what to do, the music is very relaxing.I done 2 different meditations and i could
do 20 min as a beginner no problem but not normally 8 min was to much.
So i believe it speeds up the meditation process as a newbie.

When i got more experience i felt like i could do it on my own so i started to do it normally and would u believe it i could do 20 min with no music and the noise from outside did not distract me.

The only downside to guided meditations was for me i wanted to try different
meditations like almost every week a different one so i did not get the
benefit of staying by one.

Guided meditations have the benefits for beginners but your should stick to one to get all the benefits.When a person get more confident in meditation
you should do it the normal way but the same one as the guided one and you will be ok.

I guess doing it normally maybe is better i dont know but guided meditation helped me quicker.

Peace
Old 28-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hello meditators,

My philosophy is less is more, so as I read about devices and beats and guided soundtrack and so on, I begin to wonder, what if these extras were not available?

Cheers.

I find that the sounds that are made around me are quite telling, if I am in the city there seems to be some use for engine and siren sounds for example
Old 06-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Seeker

Hi Gem,

I agree , less is more. However, there is nothing wrong with using tools if it aids in getting 'into the zone'.
My example is, one of my teachers use relaxing spiritual music in the background (mountain stream music, Aum sound, etc), along with some light incense. This is to create a conducive space, with the intent of preparing the room for meditative practice.
Another teacher uses neither of these. However, he still prepares the room - by leaving and entering again by bowing to the entrance of the room, and again to the space in which he will be seated to begin meditation. Again, this prepares you mentally to start your meditation, but to also be thankful for the space that you have to do so. Practicing humbleness, and humility.

Of course, there may be times where the right space or tools are not around when one wishes to meditate, like being on a tiny island with nothing but rocks, crabs and iguanas around. But there is a still a rock. So I guess the point is to appreciate these tools and spaces, but not to be too attached, so when we are away from them, we can still adapt and meditate at will. Can even do a standing meditation - in the end a positive mindset and the body is all that is needed :)
Old 08-07-2015, 02:05 PM
MeditativeWriter

I would doubt that Elina. Tools and methods will bring superficially a positive mindset but do they bring about order? Mechanical response to a set of steps makes the mind dull.. make it harder to explore the possibility of actual meditation, without anything in mind.
Old 17-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeditativeWriter
I would doubt that Elina. Tools and methods will bring superficially a positive mindset but do they bring about order? Mechanical response to a set of steps makes the mind dull.. make it harder to explore the possibility of actual meditation, without anything in mind.

"Tools and methods will bring superficially a positive mindset" - what makes you believe this? Ancient old meditative techniques and practices are useful tools to aid a spiritual aspirant, but as I said above use them but do not be attached to them.

"Mechanical response to a set of steps makes the mind dull" - the steps you mention are the tools to bring one firmly into the present moment and then silence the inner monologue from the Ego, depending on the meditative practice undertaken. Perhaps you consider the response would then be mechanical, but you would be mistaken. Even the tools used quickly dissipate and the Aspirant goes into a deeper meditative state and there obviously various experiences can occur.
Old 18-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Lorelyen

Crutches only lead to atrophying one's faculties unless one really needs them.

"Guided meditation" is useless. How can you meditate with someone instructing you the whole time? You won't be meditating, at best just pondering on the content of the instruction.

Self-discipline is overlooked too often in acquiring the necessary prolonged stillness for "useful" meditation. There are plenty of opportunities to practice in a day.

::::
Old 18-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
"Guided meditation" is useless. How can you meditate with someone instructing you the whole time?
I think advanced meditators would indeed experience guided meditations as a source of irritation.
Especially when they've constructed their own personal practice.

But I've heard very positive testimonials about guided meditations too, from beginning meditators.

I think the value of guided meditation is related to the meditation-level of the individual.