Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 28-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Seeker

Kriya Yoga

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone familiar with kriya yoga meditation, I would like to hear people's views and experiences.

Many thanks
Gar
Old 28-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar81
Hello everyone,

Is there anyone familiar with kriya yoga meditation, I would like to hear people's views and experiences.

Many thanks
Gar

One of the most informed people on Kriya yoga and all of the various teachers of Kriya yoga and the various techniques from the various schools is a friend of mine named Pilgrim.

Send him a note or read some of his very long posts on the topic.

http://www.thedaobums.com/user/115431-pilgrim/
Old 29-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Seeker

Hi jonesboy,

Thank you very much😀
Old 29-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Hi jonesboy,

Thank you very much��

Your welcome
Old 29-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Experiencer
This website has some good examples and descriptions

https://www.3ho.org/kundalini-yoga/k...eatured-kriyas
Old 31-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Seeker

Many thanks 😀
Old 08-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Master

Kriya Yoga encompasses many practices, of which the kriya kundalini breathing is just one. And different kriya yoga teachers teach different variations of the kriya kundalini breathing.

The best known group in the West is obviously Self-Realisation Fellowship established by Yogananda. You can subscribe to their preparation lessons by correspondence, but you need to be taught the actual kriya techniques in person.

SRF has its problems - they seem quite rigid and they are convinced that they are the only true teachers of kriya yoga as given by Yogananda.

An alternative to SRF is Ananda, a breakaway organisation founded by Swami Kriyananda who was a direct disciple of Yogananda. He questioned the way that SRF taught kriya yoga and was eventually expelled, so he established Ananda, teaching kriya yoga without the rigid approach of SRF. SRF were not happy and various lawsuits followed.

I learned kriya yoga through Ananda in Italy in the 1990s, when I was given various practices including the kriya kundalini breathing.

A couple of years later I attended a couple of retreats with Marshall Govindan, again in Italy. He was of a different lineage to Yogananda, although connected to Yogananda's teachers. He teaches different kriya practices to SRF and his kriya kundalini breathing also differs. The given reason is that Yogananda modified many of the practices to make it easier for the Western student.

The impression I get is that there are numerous practices which come under the umbrella of kriya yoga, and different teachers will emphasise particular practices.

A good place to start would be the Kriya Yoga info site established by Ennio Nimis. The rules on posting for new members means I cannot give the url. He provides a free book on kriya yoga techniques which you can download.

Peace
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Knower
Not the specifics but Yogananda's books are certainly empowering and inspiring on their own.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 AM
Suspended
Guide
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Many thanks
Gar

Hello,
Kriya yoga was brought to the west by Paramhansa Yogananda,it was given to him from his "guru”i think from memory was Sri Yukteswar,or Lahiri Mahasaya who were all pupils of Mahavatar Babaji.
It may of been Babaji "the ageless one" who gave Yoganandaji the secrets to Kriya Yoga,you should certainly read Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda.

Kind Regards Billy.

PS.. I have a vinyl LP of Yoganandaji singing and chanting,he's playing harmonium.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Seeker

Thank you everyone for all the replies and suggestions 😀