Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 26-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Tolle says religion is ego? Really? I think you may be getting your thoughts/ideas muddled here.
He describes the ego as being a major aspect of the human dysfunction.

Generally, anyone committed to a belief thinks they have found the way. Guess what? Whilst he is my current mentor, I haven't lost my ability to critically appraise his ideas for myself, e.g. I am unsure about the ego death issue.

Are you accurately perceiving pride in Tolle's followers? Pride springs from ego - could it be peace/contentment?

I guess you have to look from the outside to see it. It's harder to see problems when you're a believer. Everything has positives and negatives though, I don't think any belief system can escape that.
Old 26-04-2013, 09:59 PM
amy green

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I guess you have to look from the outside to see it. It's harder to see problems when you're a believer. Everything has positives and negatives though, I don't think any belief system can escape that.
And on this we agree!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:50 AM
WYN123

hi
thanks its been a while since I was last on, what I would suggest to any one following or thinking of following tolle, is they research the term enlightenment, which is to lose your soul, ie you are not being reborn down here again once enlightenment occurs, so while the longing to be with the one is great if you kinda like life down here it needs careful thinking about before you follow his teaching. some Buddhist schools altered their teaching to say that you could be reborn if you promise a life of service to console those a bit upset about losing their soul still if it does not happen in this life it may be the next. The church teaches the same thing. he also does not deal with the gifts offered after enlightenment. and unless you subscribe I expect not a lot of help after.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM
ciel_perdu

Quote:
Tolle is very popular with the masses and a favorite of U.S. celebrities. That should tell you something.

Excellent point!

I have read what Tolle has written, and I find that much of it contradicts Jesus' message (as does most of the New Age teachings on the market today).

His (Tolle's) writings (as like other new age material) is highly accepted by the rich and famous, and what's seeming to a large percentage of the work force, because it doesn't actually lead to any real fundamental change in our spirits and attitudes. At best it produces happy and content systemites. I think God has a much bigger purpose for us, than being peaceful and content whilst standing in a grocery line.

While the new age spouts talk about love and oneness, what practical teachings come through in these writings to move us into that direction?

Jesus gave very clear teachings on how to align our thoughts and spiritual aspirations and principles in positive action. For example for us to become one, he taught people to forsake all private ownership, to share all things in common, and to work for love. He said if you really love the poor, then sell what you have and give it to them. But where in Tolle's writing will you find some practical changes in ones lifestyle?

These writings, and those such as ''Conversations with God'', ''The Revelation'' by Barbara Marx Hubbard, ''A Course in Miracles'', all teach similar pseudo spiritual teachings, that once held up to the light of Jesus and his words, are shown to really be anti-Christ.

I am sure that many will not like that last statement, and will most likely want to paint me with the 'fundamentalist, that's why I hate religion' brush. Well, as the saying goes poo (hopefully that gets around the censorship program) happens.

There is a huge deception going on in the world today, characterized by a false peace, that is oh so enticing, but will in the end destroy many.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
amy green

Question Misguided comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciel_perdu
Excellent point!

I have read what Tolle has written, and I find that much of it contradicts Jesus' message (as does most of the New Age teachings on the market today).

His (Tolle's) writings (as like other new age material) is highly accepted by the rich and famous, and what's seeming to a large percentage of the work force, because it doesn't actually lead to any real fundamental change in our spirits and attitudes. At best it produces happy and content systemites. I think God has a much bigger purpose for us, than being peaceful and content whilst standing in a grocery line.

While the new age spouts talk about love and oneness, what practical teachings come through in these writings to move us into that direction?

Jesus gave very clear teachings on how to align our thoughts and spiritual aspirations and principles in positive action. For example for us to become one, he taught people to forsake all private ownership, to share all things in common, and to work for love. He said if you really love the poor, then sell what you have and give it to them. But where in Tolle's writing will you find some practical changes in ones lifestyle?

These writings, and those such as ''Conversations with God'', ''The Revelation'' by Barbara Marx Hubbard, ''A Course in Miracles'', all teach similar pseudo spiritual teachings, that once held up to the light of Jesus and his words, are shown to really be anti-Christ.

I am sure that many will not like that last statement, and will most likely want to paint me with the 'fundamentalist, that's why I hate religion' brush. Well, as the saying goes poo (hopefully that gets around the censorship program) happens.

There is a huge deception going on in the world today, characterized by a false peace, that is oh so enticing, but will in the end destroy many.
I find it peculiar that you are directly comparing Tolle's work with the teachings of Jesus. Tolle asks you to test for yourself, not to just believe. Here is a good link that may clarify the issue for you

http://www.eckharttolle.com/article/...tian-Tradition

It's a cheapshot (and an inaccurate one) to dismiss Tolle for being popular amongst the rich and famous. Sure, they may have jumped on the popularity bandwagon but they do not represent those who have seriously followed and benefited from Tolle, i.e. they are a greatly inaccurate barometer on which to appraise Tolle's impact.

Are you a Christian who resents the new age movement, I wonder?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
WYN123

hi
no I have followed his teachings and have crossed eyes without doing much research so looking back to see if this action is correct according to bible and other spiritual teaching.
I fear you are right, after reading some quotes from the revelations, thousands will be delivered to death, mother will deliver son and so on but only a few will make it. And something Ajahn brahm said recently that after the picture box disappears ( third eye) ? then you let go of the dharmas eh?
you have to wonder why? this is scary stuff his words also. But then I also think that its a natural process and happens to everyone.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciel_perdu
Excellent point!

Christianity is also accepted by the masses (rich and poor alike). Western New Age is not all that different from Western Christianity, the same basic dualistic ideas and the pride is still there. Since New Age and Christianity are generally enemies, they like to play off of each other to validate and define themselves, but there are also similarities since they're based in the same culture. I don't think one is better than the other, and both can be either destructive or positive.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM
WYN123

hi
seawolf - so does the church recommend duality over non duality and are there any specific verses or quotes.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafyish
hi
seawolf - so does the church recommend duality over non duality and are there any specific verses or quotes.
I don't think it's a recommendation so much as a way of seeing the world that's built into the culture. You have God which is ultimate good, and sin or satan as evil. Similarly today it's also popular to have a true self or love as ultimate good and ego or mind as the nemesis of good. Therefore life, as well as other people, are divided into sin'/ego centered and God/love centered. I don't see the belief as wrong, it's one among many though.

Last edited by Seawolf : 11-06-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 PM
ciel_perdu

Quote:
Christianity is also accepted by the masses (rich and poor alike). Western New Age is not all that different from Western Christianity, the same basic dualistic ideas and the pride is still there. Since New Age and Christianity are generally enemies, they like to play off of each other to validate and define themselves, but there are also similarities since they're based in the same culture. I don't think one is better than the other, and both can be either destructive or positive.

Christianity (as Jesus taught it), and not the religion is hardly accepted by anyone in today's world. I agree that western new age and western christianity are very similar. For starters they both discard the teachings of Jesus.

What Christ taught is not religion.