Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Quotes & Stories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Master
the wrong mantra a story

THE WRONG MANTRA
A short story by Peter Smith, 2003
Based on an ancient Buddhist parable

Lynus watched, attentively, as the first rays of the sun erupted from the horizon and lit up the seascape before him. The placid water held the promise of an end to his isolation. In just a few short hours a small boat would appear and steadily make its way through the waters toward his tiny island, his remote retreat. He smiled warmly to himself, so much had become clear to him since his teacher, his Master had cast him off alone many months ago.

Lynus`s constantly recalled the final words from Master Rose before his isolation had begun, words which had subsequently became a way of life for him. Lynus could vividly picture His Master now, remembering how he had climbed unsteadily into the small, bobbing coracle and readied his oars to leave, almost as an afterthought he had said. `Practice unremittingly, become the mantra and don’t forget your meditation`. Never one for long detailed explanations, Master Rose had then left without further comment and without even a wave goodbye.

He took a bowl, dipped it into the lapping seawater, half filled it and then set it down at his side. Removing his razor from the folds of his black robe, and after running his hand over his bristling scalp, he began the daily task of shaving his face and head, all of the time he mantra`d softly in the background. So much had become clear during his time on this island, he now completely understood that his mantra was useful in the spiritual practice, because the divine sounds of which the mantra is comprised, when repeated time and time again, helped to raise his consciousness and energise him.
Perfectly at peace he continued shaving. Somehow, he quite simply knew that today would see the return of his master, there was no arrangement.
His master had said that he would return across the two miles of water from the mainland to collect him when it felt correct to do so. Since then he had had only three visits from journeyman monks who stoically dropped off supplies as they were forbidden to communicate with Lynus.
The isolation had been complete, and Lynus had not minded, with total determination he had focused entirely on his internal spiritual efforts, going deeper than he had ever thought possible. In the early days he had felt afraid and alone but his character had been moulded through his stay and by dealing with the rigours of life alone, startlingly, love also had grown, as had insight and wisdom and other things beyond mentioning. It was because of those months of practice and development in solitude, that now he was able to know, without doubt, that his master would be joining him on this beach later in the morning. There was no pride at all in his accomplishments or in the benefits that they held for him, it was correct, everything was as it should be. That was the reason, he realised now, for this imposed period alone. Gently, not wishing to waste any of the remaining time available to him, he adopted a sitting posture and swiftly dropped into a deep meditation, as the wind picked up and nature swirled all about him on the beach.

A mile out into the channel of water separating the mainland from Mutiara island Master Rose pushed forward rhythmically on his small oars. He had rolled up the sleeves of his black robes and removed his golden-fringed hood, a sign of his Mastership, the better to row. He had a shaven head and sported a short grey trident beard flecked with black, the only master in the monastery who chose to not shave totally, he was allowed this small departure from convention due to his rank. The coracle was an unusual boat in that it seated only two and was propelled by pushing the oars forward, rather than pulling back on them as with most larger vessels but Master Rose preferred to see where he was going, so with the sun to his back he steadily rowed onward.

The regular pace drew forth beads of sweat from his forehead in the early morning sun and he was reminded of his own time of isolation on Mutiara island many years ago. The name ‘Mutiara’ translates to `pearl`, and refers to the soul hidden within the shell of the human body, the island was a place meant for discovery of the pearl, the soul. Master Rose had found his time on the island difficult. As a young monk at the monastery he had excelled as an academic, memorising the philosophy of their order and learning the scriptures in record time. In personal internal endeavours however, he had struggled to control his active mind. He was not alone in this. Very few monks ever reached the point where they were considered to have mastered all of the internal disciplines, because of their difficulty and because even life in a monastery could be distracting.

However, over the years his meditation had deepened and his mantra repetition had become more bearable, at times even enjoyable. His own master, Master Clement, had, despite his enormous patience, often chided the young monk, saying many times. `Intent young Rose, all is intent`. To which Master Rose remembered himself replying, `When will I progress master, when will I achieve something spiritually`? Master Rose remembered the elder Master then asking him to sit at his side whilst he explained.
`Young Rose, If I teach two different men the technique of chopping wood, then I give them wood and axe and I allow them the time to chop wood. One person may grasp the axe and place the wood on the block and swing carefully down striking the log, they then slowly wiggle the axe free of the log, re set the wood and then take another long, slow, swing, but their mind is all the time focused on a girl that they met at the spring fair. They keep imagining a romantic encounter and how their conversation will take place when next they meet. After a half an hour more of swinging, striking, wiggling and freeing, they realise that their hands are chaffing on the wooden axe handle. So they stop and take a rest, they then go to begin work again and look at their hands seeing red welts forming and they then look at the pile of logs still to work on and then, dispirited, they decide that chopping wood is not much fun at all, so they put down their axe and leave in search of the young fancy that their mind has been dwelling on.
The second person having heard my instruction takes the axe and places the first log on the block, they then set their brow and focus on the wood, their first long strong swing strikes through the wood in one hit, cleaving it in two. Thus inspired by their success they carry on all afternoon barely noticing the time passing. Each strike is a wonderful thing and although the body tires their spirit carries them on, until the fading light forces them to halt. Looking at their hands they see new blisters growing and other older ones that have already burst, but when they check and see the massive pile of chopped wood, they are inspired and ready to continue the next day in the sure knowledge that their task will be completed soon`. The young Rose had sat and listened to his beloved master and at the stories conclusion he asked. `What then is the difference between the two people Master`? The Master laughed, mumbling something about pearls before swine and stood up, then as he turned and left the bewildered young monk alone, he reiterated. `Intent young Rose, intent coupled with action is everything`!

Rowing steadily onward, Master Rose wondered if he ever really had satisfied Master Clement. He had eventually received his Mastership after twenty years of study but on his death bed Master Clement, who all regarded as the epitome of Masters, had said to him something very strange. `You are a good man, young Rose`, Master Clement had continued to use his pet name for Master Rose even after he had achieved Master status.
`But true enlightenment will elude you until the day you realise that you are, in reality, floating above real spirituality on a vessel of illusion, one day though, my young Rose, you will sink your boat, thus forcing you to delve into the sea of spiritual reality, At that moment, as you genuinely immerse yourself, then you will understand all.
Ever since that day, on the odd occasion of introspection, Master Rose had felt in the deep corners of his mind as if, even though he was involved in spirituality on a daily basis, leading prayers and meditating, he was still somehow holding back on something, and it was this flaw which prevented him from becoming complete, from becoming the finished article.

Master Rose shook his head, awakening from his contemplations and his mind kicked in as he began to think to himself, How could that be, it was okay for those other monks to spend all day sitting around pretending to meditate and pray but if it wasn’t for his efforts running the monastery and trading on their behalf with the outside community, then the whole show would have come to a halt. It was because of his abilities in this department that Master Rose believed that he had been taken from the usual Masters work of teaching the monks and allowed to focus solely on the Monasteries business, well being and general maintenance. Oddly, the one and only other responsibility that was put upon him, at Master Clements request in his final will and testament, was for Master Rose to be solely responsible for the personal tuition of Lynus. To this day Master Rose failed to understand why he had made this unusual request, such was his love for the old teacher though, he had never queried it.

Master Rose began to feel tired, the rowing was taking its toll and not for the first time he wondered about the wisdom of venturing out alone to see the young monk Lynus. He already knew that he wasn’t going to bring Lynus back to the monastery with him. His purpose was, as he believed his own teachers had been when he had lived alone on the island, to test the individual’s character. Master Rose remembered all too clearly the exultation of seeing Master Clements after having spent several months in isolation, only to have his joy shattered with Master Clements announcement that: `Young Rose, you need more time, focus and intent my son, let these be your teachers whilst I am away`. Indeed Master Rose remembered that his teacher had returned a month later and had made a show of still being disappointed with his progress but after some heartfelt pleading the young Rose had been allowed to return in the coracle at Master Clements side.

From out of the corner of his eye Master Rose noticed the sharp stone with three holes strung by rope that they used as an anchor lying on the floor of the small oracle and pondered for a moment. The thought of taking a rest seemed very enticing. He could simply drop the stone into the water and just float for a moment, regaining his strength. Just then, as his robed arm mopped the sweat from his brow, he noticed a headland coming into view just above the horizon, a headland that he knew all too well. Thus inspired Master Rose redoubled his efforts on the oars and before long, with each passing stroke, Mutiara began to grow into his vision. The chalk cliffs soon became distinguishable and scant minutes later reared high above the sea.

As he neared the island he saw a figure standing at the waters edge, waving and leaping up and down. Master Rose was perplexed for a second, how could Lynus know he was coming? He realised then that probably Lynus walked down to the shore every day in the hope that Master Rose would arrive to take him back home. Sadness touched him at the thought of deflating the young monk, he was not spiteful, quite the contrary, Master Rose was kind, but he had decide to teach Lynus in exactly the same way that he himself had been taught. He wondered what infringement or supposed spiritual failure he would have to invent in order to cause Lynus to have to stay on the island, as he himself had to.
Master Clements had said to the young Rose, at the end of his period of solitude, that he had not learned proper intent and focus whilst practicing his mantra during his time on the island and therefore had failed to develop correctly. Master Rose resolved with his last few strokes into shore, to deliver the same speech if no other obvious infringement was forthcoming.

Lynus raised his robes up above his knees and waded out into the tide splashing water in every direction. Just as he reached the boat, a wave ushered her progress in and onto the beach. Grasping the edge of the coracle Lynus wrenched the boat ashore with Master Rose still aboard. `Thank you for coming master.` Said Lynus.
`My pleasure my son`, replied Master Rose, and for the first time he realised that he had missed the enthusiastic young monk. `Have you been well`? He enquired of Lynus. `Oh yes master, very, would you like me to make you a tisane drink before I row us back to the monastery`?
This was more the reaction that Master Rose had expected, an urgency to leave this place, to be with dear friends again, he remembered feeling the same, and once again sadness touched him for he knew only too well the pain still to come for Lynus.
`Well, lets have that drink my son, but do not be too hasty to leave, I need to check on your progress first`. Lynus, unperturbed still smiling gently, knowingly, replied. `Of course, you’re right, I have a fire burning at the cave and some water ready to boil, will you follow me back there`?
Before Master Rose could answer, Lynus had turned and began walking off the beach, then he added. `And don’t let me walk too quickly for you, I know that your tired Master`. Adopting an almost serene pace, they made their way through the trees and rocks of the island toward the meditation cave. It was at this place that all of the aspirant monks lived whilst on the island, here they suffered and learned, here, they took shelter from the storms of the island and unknowingly from the storm of life itself.
`How did you find this period of retreat`? Asked Master Rose, as they travelled.
`Enlightening` replied Lynus with a knowing smile.
`Oh`, replied Master rose with an unknowing one. `Jolly good, and did you practice with intent`?
Lynus turned and smiled, almost laughed and then answered. `Oh yes my Master, with every ounce of intent I could muster`.
`And have you eaten reasonably well`? Enquired the nonplussed Master Rose in an effort to keep the conversation rolling and to gain time to understand what Lynus was alluding to. Just then they reached a clearing, beyond which sat the dark cave.
Lynus actually stopped for a second and turned to look at the Master with a quizzical look, and then he laughed aloud. Unsure of the joke and a tad off balance, Master Rose merely smiled along with the laughing Lynus, and for the first time he wondered about Lynus’s state of mind. Then, abruptly, Lynus ceased his laughter and said. `Oh I have missed you Master Rose, until now I never appreciated your humour, food indeed, who needs food when there is sunlight is that not so my teacher`?
Still chuckling Lynus lead them both on through the glade and into the caves mouth. Master Rose could smell the fire before he saw it and then as he entered the cave, he was taken back to his own time spent there.
The sadness the self pity it had all came out when he had been alone, was it too much for the young monk he wondered, was Lynus unable to cope mentally with the challenge. He was certainly feeling uneasy about forcing the lad to stay on for another month.

Lynus bowed to his teacher and handed him, with his right hand, the giving hand, a cup of tisane. As was customary Master Rose took the cup in his left hand and bowed in return with a short nod of his head. `Bless you my son`. He said. `Thank you Master`, answered Lynus after which, he turned to the cave walls and simultaneously whilst spreading his arms wide toward them he asked Master Rose. `Have you noticed my handiwork`?
Master rose put down his steaming cup and stood, he then walked to the centre of the large cave. Initially it appeared to Master Rose that the whole of the caves internal walls had been whitewashed. As he slowly moved closer to one of the walls he began to realise what he was actually seeing. In tiny script, obviously using chalk from the cliff faces, Lynus had written, tens of thousands of times, in beautiful calligraphy, the mantra that Master Rose had given to him as he had left the island all of those months before.
As his eyes attuned themselves to the caves dull inner light, he could see the mantra etched everywhere, even on the caves ceiling. It was a massive undertaking and Master Rose was duly impressed, but he knew that he couldn’t show it. Even so he had to make some comment. `Ah a lovely idea Lynus, however did you achieve this`? Lynus didn’t seem proud or even modest he just answered matter of factly, `I simply began, and as I wrote each mantra I chanted it also many times on each word, it was unbelievable my teacher, the effect, as you know, is beyond description, and now this is here for all future monks who journey to this island for their spell of isolation to read and draw from`. Master Rose was feeling very uncomfortable, he had mantra’d a few hours a day during his time on the island, what he saw before him was a superhuman effort which must have taken many months.
`When did you finish it`? Enquired the bewildered Master Rose.
Lynus smiled a knowing smile, almost as if Master Rose already knew the answer, and then he said. `Last night, that’s how I knew that you would arrive this morning my teacher`.
Master Rose mumbled. `Of course, of course`. a few times. In a desperate effort to give himself time to think, because things were not going as he had anticipated, not at all. All he really had planned to do was to tell the young monk that he would have to stay for a further month and then he could leave in his coracle and head back to the mainland later today, but what reason could he give to keep the youth on the island now, the young monk had performed miracles, Master Rose was just reconciling himself to the fact that he would have to let the boy return with him in the boat and that would be that, when he noticed something, something small but very important. He almost deflated with relief, controlling his relief he called Lynus to his side.
`Lynus, my young friend, I am afraid that all of this has been in vain, valiant as the effort has been there is an error`. For the first time Lynus looked out of sorts. `Error! what error my teacher`? He asked unsure of himself. `The mantra should read Aum Namo Bhagavatter avatar Hare Shivaya, but you have written Om namu bagavater avata Hare Chiva`. The error was genuine, Master Rose had not needed to invent an indiscretion, thankfully, the universe had provided one for him. `Oh master, I am so sorry`, whimpered Lynus, his head shaking from side to side in disbelief as he added, `I must stay master and conclude what I have started`, and then he added as an afterthought, `by your leave obviously`. Master Rose found himself on solid ground, at last, and dropping into his more familiar, knowledgeable yet considerate teachers role he said `I am afraid that you must my son, in order not to waste time I shall drink my tisane and be gone, so that you may begin`. Lynus hastily concurred and in a few moments Master Rose and the mildly dejected Lynus headed for the beach.

Master Rose climbed unsteadily into the rising and falling boat, with Lynus’s aid. He righted and positioned his oars and waved to the crestfallen young man then he dipped the oars into the water and pulled himself clear of the beaches random breakers. As soon as he had passed the shores waves and found himself on more stable water he turned to look over his shoulder at the monk and he shouted above the sea noise, `Focus, and intent are all my son but also accuracy, be well my boy`. With these words he began to row away from the noisy beach and out into the quieter gentle swell. He was pleased overall with the outcome, and he felt that his parting words, a mixture of Master Clements words to him and the relevance of accuracy in this particular situation made an excellent supplementary piece of advice and should serve the young monk well. Satisfied, he hummed a tune to himself as he set about the long trip home.

Some fifteen minutes out and still very pleased with his handling of the whole affair, Master Roses humming was interrupted by a rhythmic sound that was becoming louder and clearer with each passing second. It was a sound that Master Rose had never heard before whilst on a boat, it had grown into his consciousness from a dim distant sound but it was now tapping him on the shoulder so to speak demanding he take notice. Master Rose drew in his oars, the sound, a slapping splashy sort of affair, originated from behind him, in the direction of the island that he had so recently left. He dropped the anchor over the side of the small boat to prevent drifting and turned to see from where the noise came, as it was even clearer now.
Behind him, running toward the boat, ACROSS THE WATER, ON THE WATER was Lynus. Some forty or fifty yards still separated them but Lynuses pumping arms and legs drew him swiftly ever closer. Master Rose tried to make sense of the situation but his conventional mind curled up and disappeared. Right before him, a man, his student, was walking, nay running on water.

Lynus reached Master Rose in a few seconds, apparently not even breathless he stopped, stopped? on the water. Looking down into the small boat, slightly ashamed, rubbing his hands together, Lynus seemed to be building up to say something. `Begging your pardon Master,` he asked meekly, `I am very sorry but I was so upset earlier, that I forgot to take notice of what you were saying, so, what was the correct mantra again Master Rose`? Responding automatically, numb, Master Rose said. `Ah , umm yes okay, it’s Aum Namo Bhagavatter Avatar Hare Shivaya, is that alright`? He asked stupidly. `That’s great, thanks, sorry to trouble you`. Said Lynus and with a cheery wave he started back, jogging toward the island across the seemingly solid sea.
Master Rose dipped his hand in the water where Lynus had, mere moments before, stood, in the vain hope that this was some kind of natural trick. The previously solid water circled, in a tantalisingly liquid way and Master Rose removed his wet hand and let it drip unnoticed into the gently rocking boat. Mouth open he continued to watch the progress of Lynuses jogging, ever diminishing, form toward the island.

Shock passed slowly, eventually however, Master Rose removed his golden rimmed hood and carefully placed it into the canvas sack that he had brought Lynuses new provisions in, folding it carefully and definitely, knowing that he would not be wearing it again until he really had earned the right to.
Inside Master Rose a wonderful thing was happening his jigsaw was creeping together. All the pieces that had been put into place by Master Clements were forming in Master Roses mind, instigated by the wonder that had just occurred. Master Rose understood it all now, where he had mantra`d a few hours each day, Lynus had lost himself in the mantra. Lynus was the person who chopped wood until his hands bled from sun up until sun set, he, Master Rose, had been the first example, the man who dwelled on the girl. He realised now that even though Lynus had been saying the mantra incorrectly, such was his focus and intent that Lynus had achieved what he had not. At that moment Master Rose understood something else very clearly. Without further ado, his mind made up, he removed his robes and placed them also in the canvas sack, which he slung about his back. Wearing only a loincloth he picked up the sharp rock, which was the coracles anchor and in one motion, flung it through the hide floor of the boat. For a moment he watched the seawater pour in through the tear. Then, with more certainty than he had of anything in his life thus far, he flung himself into the sea and having sunk his boat he knew that he would not return to the mainland until, like Lynus, he didn’t need one. And so, happily, he struck out, a determined stroke of his arm pulling him through the sea, toward Mutiara to find his soul and lose his ego.