Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 09-09-2020, 04:33 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Maṅgala Buddha
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Maṅgala Buddha is extensively mentioned in the Buddhavamsa as the sixth Buddha from a list of 29 Buddhas. Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha is the current and is also the 28th Buddha. The 29th Buddha is the Buddha of the Future, and that is Maitreya.

We have already discussed the first five Buddhas. They are:

             Taṇhaṅkara Buddha
►►          Medhaṅkara Buddha
►►►       Saraṇaṅkara Buddha
►►►►    Dīpankara Buddha
►►►►► Koṇḍaa Buddha.


The Buddhavamsa gives the history of the 27 Buddhas who proceeded Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha during the last twelve world cycles (kappas). The Four Nikāyas make no mention of the 29 Buddhas. In the Dīgha Nikāya, only six of the Buddhas are enumerated.

Maṅgala Buddha is the sixth Buddha listed in the Buddhavamsa. In countries where Theravada Buddhism is the dominate religions, festivals are held on a regular basis in which the patrons play homage to these Buddhas.

There are some Temples that are specific for a particular Buddha. For example, in Singapore is a Temple dedicated to the sixth Buddha, Maṅgala Buddha.

These Temples are open to the public but very few 'outsiders' have been inside. It should be noted that the Pagan Temples have the same 'honor'. As far as I am concerned, these Temples should be on every ones 'want to see' list.

For those who sense energies, a venture in a Temple that has all 29 Buddhas represented in statue form is a very impressive sight to see. I do not know how many times I have been in one of these Temples.


As mentioned, Maṅgala Buddha, is the sixth of twenty-seven Buddhas who preceded the historical Gotama Buddha as recorded in the Buddhavamsa. The Buddhavamsa is the fourteenth book of the Khuddaka Nikāya, which is the fifth division of the Sutta Piṭaka. Maṅgala Buddha was also the first Buddha of the World called Sāramaṇḍa Kalpa. The Sāramaṇḍ Kalpa is a place where four Buddhas were born. That World was nothing like our current World. As for the word Kalpa, it appears to be a modified Hindu share word.

In the Buddhavamsa, Maṅgala Buddha is described as a Buddha that used the Dhamma Torch to enlighten the dark World. His rays, emanating from him, out shined the Sun and Moon so nobody could see the Sun nor the Moon.

Like his predecessor Buddhas, Maṅgala Buddha was a giant standing about 132 feet tall.
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 25-09-2020, 04:33 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
As mentioned, Maṅgala Buddha, is the sixth of twenty-seven Buddhas who preceded the historical Gotama Buddha as recorded in the Buddhavamsa. The Buddhavamsa is the fourteenth book of the Khuddaka Nikāya, which is the fifth division of the Sutta Piṭaka. Maṅgala Buddha was also the first Buddha of the World called Sāramaṇḍa Kalpa. The Sāramaṇḍ Kalpa is a place where four Buddhas were born. That World was nothing like our current World. As for the word Kalpa, it appears to be a modified Hindu share word.

In the Buddhavamsa, Maṅgala Buddha is described as a Buddha that used the Dhamma Torch to enlighten the dark World. His rays, emanating from him, out shined the Sun and Moon so nobody could see the Sun nor the Moon.

Like his predecessor Buddhas, Maṅgala Buddha was a giant standing about 132 feet tall.

In Buddhism, there are Siddhis that seem to resonate with Out of Body Experience (OBE), Astral travel, Bi-Location, Levitation, make objects move, psychic ability to know the past, present and future, etc. But in order to do these things, Kasina meditation must be mastered along with other, rarely mentioned meditations. These resonates very much what some other religions teach.

This is all explained in the Visuddhimagga which is a text given second in importance by Buddhist. The first, is the Tipitaka canon of scriptures.
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 13-11-2020, 05:45 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
In Buddhism, there are Siddhis that seem to resonate with Out of Body Experience (OBE), Astral travel, Bi-Location, Levitation, make objects move, psychic ability to know the past, present and future, etc. But in order to do these things, Kasina meditation must be mastered along with other, rarely mentioned meditations. These resonates very much what some other religions teach.

This is all explained in the Visuddhimagga which is a text given second in importance by Buddhist. The first, is the Tipitaka canon of scriptures.

The Siddhis bridges Buddhism with the other mystical religions. The ultimate of meditation is Siddhis which is a natural process as the person pursues their way thru meditation. In nature, Siddhis occurs without us noticing it unless we look for it. For example, the caterpillar 'progresses' via Siddhis to emerge as a butterfly.

Because Siddhis is not talked about much, some do not except nor understand what is 'happening' to them. For example, if a person finds them self Bi-located to a distant land and they relate their experience to a person who has never experience Bi-location, you can just imagine what the other person would give them as advice.
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 16-11-2020, 06:35 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The Siddhis bridges Buddhism with the other mystical religions. The ultimate of meditation is Siddhis which is a natural process as the person pursues their way thru meditation. In nature, Siddhis occurs without us noticing it unless we look for it. For example, the caterpillar 'progresses' via Siddhis to emerge as a butterfly.

Because Siddhis is not talked about much, some do not except nor understand what is 'happening' to them. For example, if a person finds them self Bi-located to a distant land and they relate their experience to a person who has never experience Bi-location, you can just imagine what the other person would give them as advice.

As for Siddhis, there is an article called "Did the Dalai Lama use a Siddhi power on this scientist?". This article is found here:

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/266...his-scientist/
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 14-12-2020, 05:42 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The Siddhis bridges Buddhism with the other mystical religions. The ultimate of meditation is Siddhis which is a natural process as the person pursues their way thru meditation. In nature, Siddhis occurs without us noticing it unless we look for it. For example, the caterpillar 'progresses' via Siddhis to emerge as a butterfly.

Because Siddhis is not talked about much, some do not except nor understand what is 'happening' to them. For example, if a person finds them self Bi-located to a distant land and they relate their experience to a person who has never experience Bi-location, you can just imagine what the other person would give them as advice.

Bi-location is mentioned in a Siddhi called Vayu Gaman Siddhi. It appears people of all faiths/religions have experienced this phenomena.

Something to note is all the Buddhas have experienced the various Siddhis but not all Buddhist believe in Siddhis.

__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 11-01-2021, 02:21 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
The Buddhas before Gautama Buddha
are very interesting to study.


To start off, below is a list of the Buddhas.


                                                         
  NAME OF 27 BUDDHAS  BEFORE GAUTAMA BUDDHA        
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
1.   Taṇhaṅkara Buddha          15. Sujāta Buddha
2.   Medhaṅkara Buddha         16. Piyadassi Buddha
3.   Saraṇaṅkara Buddha        17. Atthadassi Buddha
4.   Dīpankara Buddha           18. Dhammadassī Buddha
5.   Kondanna Buddha           19. Siddhattha Buddha
6.   Maṅgala Buddha              20. Tissa Buddha
7.   Sumana Buddha              21. Phussa Buddha
8.   Revata Buddha                22. Vipassī Buddha
9.   Sobhita Buddha               23. Sikhī Buddha
10. Anomadassi Buddha         24. Vessabhū Buddha
11. Paduma Buddha               25. Kakusandha Buddha
12. Nārada Buddha                26. Kassapa Buddha
13. Padumuttara Buddha        27. Kassapa Buddha
14. Sumedha Buddha  


NAME OF CURRENT BUDDHA        
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   28. The current Buddha is Gautama Buddha              


NAME OF BUDDHA OF THE FUTURE        
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   29. The Buddha of the future is Maitreya
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 11-01-2021, 02:23 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,301
  BigJohn's Avatar
Next, we will be looking at the 7th Buddha and that is Sumana Buddha.
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums