Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 16-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Knower
Lennox - A dog sentenced to death because of the way he looks

Lennox the Labrador Mix, has spent the last two years on death row. It's a secret location in Belfast, his family haven't been allowed to see him. He's lost a lot of his fur, probably due to stress. While the Belfast City Council wait with their blue syringe, his family fight the court's decision that Lennox should be put to death. His crime, looking like a 'Pit Bull Type'. He hasn't bitten anyone or even acted aggressively towards anyone. Breed Specific Legislation has put to death thousands of innocent family pets simply because they don't look right.
Last year a five-month-old puppy was killed by 'authorities' because they thought that he too looked like a 'Pit Bull Type'. The puppy whose name was Fudge, was killed the same day he was taken, without giving his human family a chance to appeal.
Lennox is not actually a Pit Bull, but even if he was, Pit Bulls are great pets. They're one of the friendliest breeds of dog. Most of Michael Vicks Pit Bulls are now working as Therapy Dogs. It seems that Great Britain has the breed all wrong. The panic and hysteria of the early 90s resulted in this nightmare today.
http://www.savelennox.co.uk/
Old 20-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Ascender
I won't comment on the legislation about pit bulls, but why can't the family get a vet to do a definitive breed identification? Cross-breeds are not forbidden, as far as I know. Or even as a last result (although expensive), they could get a DNA test done and then a court order for the dog's release.
Old 21-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Rin

People should not be allowed to have Pit bulls. IMO a blanket ban is appropriate because only a few people can provide what this breed needs.

As far as Lennox goes, if the owners would love this dog they would have asked a vet to euthanase him long ago. How can someone put this dog through so much stress that he even loses his fur, and then claim they love him? What for? To prove that they are right? Incomprehensible.
Old 21-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Sybilline

I will agree that pitbulls are a power-type breed, and because of their jaw strength (result of cross-breeding), their bite is more powerful than a smaller dog's bite. But any dog will be aggressive if he thinks he can get away with it, or if it's scared.
Old 21-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Ascender
I think the OP was trying to draw attention to the fact that dogs which are NOT pit bulls have been wrongly seized. The OP clearly states that the dog is a Labrador cross (presumably Labrador crossed with pit bull). That is the issue which he wanted us to discuss. Hopefully, the OP will return to clarify!
Old 21-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Master

Any dog needs to be properly trained and controlled and kept in an appropiate environment, esp. if it's a large, powerful breed, but ultimately if a dog is 'aggressive' you have to look at the owners.
Most aggressive dogs have been trained/incited to be aggressive.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 21-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Rin

I get this, but people who will encounter this particular dog will react to what they see. If it looks like a pit bull it is probably a pit pull or has some substantial pit bull genes. That is fine for us adults who can make a big detour around it, but what is a child on a narrow footpath coming face to face with such a dog going to do?

There are enough stories around of such dogs going 'bad' without any warning signals. The same goes for Rottweilers.

It is unfortunate that Lennox is in this situation but I do not understand the owners who allow this dog to live in what must be a horrible situation to go on for 2 years.
IMO this is animal abuse in the highest degree. It is no good to say the authorities do this to him, as a dog owner I have the responsibility to keep him in humane conditions, and if that is not possible, to let him go.
Old 22-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Sybilline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC
I think the OP was trying to draw attention to the fact that dogs which are NOT pit bulls have been wrongly seized. The OP clearly states that the dog is a Labrador cross (presumably Labrador crossed with pit bull). That is the issue which he wanted us to discuss. Hopefully, the OP will return to clarify!

That was pretty clear. But you know threads rarely ever stay with the OP yeah?
Old 22-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilline
That was pretty clear. But you know threads rarely ever stay with the OP yeah?
It looks that everybody is sitting on the fence. Where are the people who are concerned about animal welfare?

The authorities may be wrong on this one. So is the owner. The difference is that the authorities are constrained by all kind of laws and regulations. They cannot just confiscate and destroy people's 'possession' without following due process. This may take months, years and may involve the courts. The owner, on the other hand, can put an end to this animal's suffering today without going through any red tape. A simple word would be enough.
Old 22-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Sybilline

I'm sure that's what it looks like to you Rin, though we see ourselves as totally taking a different stand. I love pitbulls and I don't think any animal should be abused. I'm pretty sure nobody in this forum would say otherwise. ;)