Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality > Faiths of Indigenous Peoples

Old 19-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Pathfinder

Saami People of Norway, Finland and Sweden and Joiking

Hello, I am starting this topic as I have felt really drawn to the Saami Culture. I recently viewed a youtube video from Graham Nicholls (an OOB instructor from the UK) and he mentioned during the course of one of his OOBs the appearance of a Saami man.

For some reason, this very small remark on his part of this presentation prompted me to do some research on the Saami people. I was amazed at their rich history and culture. I found that they are shamanistic, and much to my surprise, seemed very aware of soul travel from this world and to other realms. I have been attempting Astral Projecting for awhile and Lucid Dreaming so their information was intriguing.

It amazed me that this very ancient culture had some of the same exact truths I have heard from NDErs, End of life encounters, after death communications and other OOB literature. Which made me realize in a sense, we (in this current awakening) appear to be going back to some very ancient spiritual teachings rather than finding new teachings... that they were somehow lost to most of us in the Western hemisphere. Perhaps I am drawn to them, because my grandfather's family is from Norway. I remember seeing some of the crafts and knitted wear the relatives from Norway sent over which had some of the same symbols / artwork on them. My great grandmother was also to said to be able to see spirits of people gone over, along with some of my other family members which have certain abilities as well. I understand, from that cultural viewpoint, it would not have been unusual to have those gifts.

One of the most beautiful things I found was the Saami's use of a Joik, which is their traditional music, which is to be sung not with words, but rather, "A Joik is not merely a description; it attempts to capture its subject in its entirety: it's like a holographic, multi-dimensional living image, not just a flat photograph or simple visual memory. It is not about something, it is that something. It does not begin and it does not end. A Joik does not need to have words — its narrative is in its power, it can tell a life story in song."

I have found a Joik that really spoke to my heart, at first I only heard the singer. Afterwards I found out it was dedicated to his young friend who had passed. here it is by Jon Henrik (hope it is okay to post this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCL9FiAuezk
Old 20-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Administrator
I have seen the programme you speak of before ,as for the link it is music without words, but listen to the music words arent needed in it,you can tell it comes from the heart

Namaste
Old 22-01-2018, 04:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoresh
End of life encounters, after death communications and other OOB literature. Which made me realize in a sense, we (in this current awakening) appear to be going back to some very ancient spiritual teachings rather than finding new teachings... that they were somehow lost to most of us in the Western hemisphere. Perhaps I am drawn to them, because my grandfather's family is from Norway. I remember seeing some of the crafts and knitted wear the relatives from Norway sent over which had some of the same symbols / artwork on them. My great grandmother was also to said to be able to see spirits of people gone over, along with some of my other family members which have certain abilities as well. I understand, from that cultural viewpoint, it would not have been unusual to have those gifts.
You are quite right there shoresh ........
Quote:
One of the most beautiful things I found was the Saami's use of a Joik
I have found a Joik that really spoke to my heart, at first I only heard the singer. Afterwards I found out it was dedicated to his young friend who had passed. here it is by Jon Henrik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCL9FiAuezk

..... except - Jon Henrik is Native Colombian by birth, adopted by a Saami family from Sweden and was thus brought up as Saami & going strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9VLFog6mbY

Old 15-03-2018, 01:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoresh
One of the most beautiful things I found was the Saami's use of a Joik, which is their traditional music, which is to be sung not with words, but rather, "A Joik is not merely a description; it attempts to capture its subject in its entirety: it's like a holographic, multi-dimensional living image, not just a flat photograph or simple visual memory. It is not about something, it is that something. It does not begin and it does not end. A Joik does not need to have words — its narrative is in its power, it can tell a life story in song."
I think the same is found in all (?) shamanic cultures throughout Siberia as well.
It is not about concepts or mimicry, but rather embodiment of the elemental and animal spirit helpers in Shamanic séances.
Old 19-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Master
Thanks for sharing Daniel's Song, I hadn't heard it got a long time. It is all love...

And we turn our attention to the world, not away. We receive our learning from the songs it sings and the choir of One we're all in.

And while we walk gently, we generate love, healing, the most powerful energy of all, Life!

Soaking in life, we spread the light <3
Old 08-01-2024, 08:42 PM
Master

I am Norwegian. I won't say I know the lapp culture well but I know some of it. I consider it a wonder that they weren't stamped out in the 19th and 20th century when the Scandinavian governments put the crowbar into them. Much has survived and the joik is still sung, as it should. There are still drummers and shamans too.

A memory from the 1970s we are sharing if you are Norwegian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lnFp6_zQsQ
Old 08-02-2024, 06:51 PM
Experiencer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPqKAuzo0tk

__/\__

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 08-02-2024 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Music from North Sweden
Old 20-02-2024, 12:12 AM
Master
Did not know who Graham Nicholls is, so looking into it brought me to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bxC...GrahamNicholls

Looks like what he calls as OBE, I’d call falling into a trance or entering “shamanic Journeying”.
His experience in the video sounded similar to the one I had - years ago, when in a meditative state I suddenly fell into a spontaneous trance in which I was swallowed by a giant wave.
That was the eve of the 2004 tsunami which hit Thailand.
After that, for a few days staying in a light trance - in which you are partly here, partly there (in another dimension) painting ‘spirit canoes’ to guide the souls “home” as they seemed totally confused and disoriented about what had happened.
Only later did I learn that my cousin’s husband and their son had died in that event.

So yes, his experience does sound genuine and those are the kind of stories the old folk used to tell each other all-the-time.

But why would he see a Saami man in his ‘OBE visions’, if he is not related?
Perhaps it was a prompting from his own guidance to look further into experiences relating to the shamanic multidimensional reality.
Old 20-02-2024, 01:56 AM
Master
Oh. I see …
shoresh, was this the ‘OBE’ of Graham Nicholls where the Saami man appeared?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNl...l=ShadowCamera

From 44:55 to 46:02

Right, yes, well … You do become aware of an energy-field of a person who comes into your (auric) presence. If it comes out-of-the-blue, you just sense it for a while to get the “energy-signature” - in order to determine who it is and its intent towards you and this is what I assume the Saami man did.
And Graham was probably subconsciously ‘magnetized’ to his presence, since the Saami bloke could consciously be aware of his ‘OOB’ i.e. energy-field presence.

That’s my take on it anyways, from my own experience in this …

These are all valid experiences ….

The pyramid-type of structure behind the Saami would have been "Kota" or "Lavvu" in Saami, meaning a tipi-like-tent.
Old 20-02-2024, 09:52 AM
Master
It would help their reputation if they weren’t so anti-wolf. (I will always speak out for wolves!). Learn to protect your herd without shooting carnivores dead. Otherwise, fine.