Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 17-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Knower

Rama killing Ravana

I know this might sound very ignorant...but...I have to ask...please enlighten me...

How did Rama get away with killing Ravana? Did He get in trouble? I heard He had to do penance, rituals, etc after it. Was there a law that deemed murder illegal in Threta Yuga?

Different dynamics in that Age obviously, but am asking in simple terms.
Old 18-07-2020, 03:22 AM
Suspended

I don't know. I never learned about these stories. I'm more after Love and the here after. . this stuff sounds too complicated for me.
Old 18-07-2020, 09:08 AM
Master

Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamind
I know this might sound very ignorant...but...I have to ask...please enlighten me...

How did Rama get away with killing Ravana? Did He get in trouble? I heard He had to do penance, rituals, etc after it. Was there a law that deemed murder illegal in Threta Yuga?

Different dynamics in that Age obviously, but am asking in simple terms.

Murder is illegal in all ages and all places . Only people who are authorized like state police , state army and judiciary can be a party to killing anybody in legal ways.

Rama was a sovereign king and in pursuit of his duties , he may have to kill any enemies and punish any one . So nobody except powerful honest thought led rishis can punish him as per their constitution . He simply took it on himself that Ravan was son of a Rishi (brahman - spiritual oriented teaching/preaching community ) and in traditions it is forebidden to kill brahman community (because of the works they do in society) and did the penance in Rameshwar in India.
Old 19-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Master
That sounds really bad. I've not heard of this before. I don't understand why people worship Rama if he killed his wife. Is that something to aspire to or respect or worship? Then again, this kind of ''Look away, ask no questions. Obey the god!'' attitude seems to be common practice with worship of most deities out there.
Old 19-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Master

rama did not kill his wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
That sounds really bad. I've not heard of this before. I don't understand why people worship Rama if he killed his wife. Is that something to aspire to or respect or worship? Then again, this kind of ''Look away, ask no questions. Obey the god!'' attitude seems to be common practice with worship of most deities out there.

Ravana was the ruler of other kingdom who abducted his wife Sita and he killed ravana and freed his wife Sita from ravana . Unlike other kings , he handed over the captured kingdom to his (ravana's ) brother vibhishan without any attached strings . Despite having possibility to marry more than once for kings (like his father Dasharath ) he had remained committed to his wife Sita only lifetime . His love for his wife profound and deep.

Hope this clarifies the history to u .
Old 20-07-2020, 05:22 AM
Seeker

Rama was a Guru. Rama's first mistake was, He was got married to Sita by Vasishtan's instruction, who is a Deva Guru (There are 2 types of Guru.Deva Guru and Brahma Guru.Deva Guru is always under the control of Devas or Devies (deities) and acts upon their instructions, like Sri Rama Krishna Paramahamsa.His Deity was Kaali. Sri Rama was Brahma Guru).

Second mistake was to become a King. A Guru should never be a king. Guru is supposed to control The King.

Third grave mistake was to beheading Shudra Muni Shambhuka as per the custom of that time. and the reason for killing was doing meditation. Shudras were not allowed to do meditation at that time.

Ramayana, the war, was the consequence of these three mistakes. So it's no use going behind that story.In the end Rama walked into the river and drowned to death. It's revealed by The Almighty.
Old 20-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Master

mistakes ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renunciation
Rama was a Guru. Rama's first mistake was, He was got married to Sita by Vasishtan's instruction, who is a Deva Guru (There are 2 types of Guru.Deva Guru and Brahma Guru.Deva Guru is always under the control of Devas or Devies (deities) and acts upon their instructions, like Sri Rama Krishna Paramahamsa.His Deity was Kaali. Sri Rama was Brahma Guru).

Second mistake was to become a King. A Guru should never be a king. Guru is supposed to control The King.

Third grave mistake was to beheading Shudra Muni Shambhuka as per the custom of that time. and the reason for killing was doing meditation. Shudras were not allowed to do meditation at that time.

Ramayana, the war, was the consequence of these three mistakes. So it's no use going behind that story.In the end Rama walked into the river and drowned to death. It's revealed by The Almighty.

There is not historical truth in your observations and conclusion on alleged mistakes.
1. Rama was King . He was enlightened person (Plato's concept of philosopher king in reality ) but no spiritual teacher/Guru by any stretch of imagination . Guru should not marry is a myth there is not iota of truth . Marriage has a very high SQ . Person marrying has to RENUNCIATE all other members of opposite sex !!

2. Why Guru does not need kingdom is ok . But why he should abdicate kingdom for spirituality . He did abdicate when he was expected as per his father's orders . He did forego 2 kingdom's he won by himself . That's why we consider him God . He was able to do such things in jiffy at will which no small person will be able to do.

3. Shudra Shambuka was feigning penance and not doing his duties . For all your knowledge Rama did ate the tasted half eaten fruits/berries at the place of Shabari - a tribal woman devotee. The very Ravana he killed was son of a Brahman Rishi . So don't invoke biased irrelevant logics here.

Finally u my have heard of Kabir . What he says

गुरू गोविन्द दोऊ खड़े, काके लागूं पांय।
बलिहारी गुरू अपने गोविन्द दियो बताय

This means that Guru always points to God when place of priority is to be chosen . That is the Guru . But in so many posts of your about Guru I have not seen any single pointer to God .It's all criticising without substance and merit and nothing about any real message to think , ponder and learn .
Old 21-07-2020, 12:41 AM
Master
The story goes like this...

Ravana was an incarnation of Jaya - Jaya with his brother Vijaya, were the gatekeepers to Vaikuntha (the heavenly abode of Lord Vishnu).

One day, the Sanat Kumaras (4 child saints) had an appointment to see Lord Vishnu, but Jaya and Vijaya forbade them entry to Vaikuntha, being condescending and patronizing towards them... insulting them very cruelly....Jaya and Vijaya obviously didn't understand who these special children (in manifestation only) actually were.

As a result of this, both Jaya and Vijaya were cursed by the Sanat Kumaras to fall to Earth and become human beings until the end of time.

Jaya and his brother soon realised their mistake and became much afraid...they begged and pleaded with the Sanat Kumaras to rescind the curse, but they refused, so they all went before Lord Vishnu to sort it out.

Lord Vishnu said "I cannot undo the curse, but I can mitigate it...Jaya and Vijaya, you have the choice....you can spend seven lifetimes on Earth as being my devotees then return here...OR you can spend one lifetime on Earth as devotees of Lord Shiva and then be killed by ME to return here". Jaya and Vijaya chose the latter...so, Jaya was born on Earth in the form of Ravana and Vijaya was born on Earth in the form of his brother, Kumbhkarna.

Ravana became a great devotee of Lord Shiva and got many boons from him... incredible strength, great wisdom and invincibility EXCEPT at the hands of Lord Vishnu...as it had been arranged prior to that anyway and Ravana started his reign of terror to anger Lord Vishnu into killing him so that he could quickly return to Vaikuntha.

Enter Lord Rama. Rama was an avatar/incarnation of Lord Vishnu, so He is beyond the moral laws usually reserved for human beings anyway...Vishnu is the upholder of Dharma and Ravana was acting with Adharma, so it was Rama's DUTY to kill Ravana...however, to mitigate any perceived "sin" from doing so, he first had to make supplication to Lord Shiva at Rameshwaram, asking for Lord Shiva's blessings to kill one of Shiva's greatest devotees without Lord Shiva getting angry about it. Lord Shiva recognized Rama as being the incarnation of Lord Vishnu and thus gave his blessings... Ravana's time was up. It was all an orchestrated play...a leela of Lord Vishnu and all parties were fully aware of what was going on as they had chosen that karma for themselves beforehand.

I hope this explains it.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 21-07-2020, 01:01 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
The story goes like this...

Ravana was an incarnation of Jaya - Jaya with his brother Vijaya, were the gatekeepers to Vaikuntha (the heavenly abode of Lord Vishnu).

One day, the Sanat Kumaras (4 child saints) had an appointment to see Lord Vishnu, but Jaya and Vijaya forbade them entry to Vaikuntha, being condescending and patronizing towards them... insulting them very cruelly....Jaya and Vijaya obviously didn't understand who these special children (in manifestation only) actually were.

As a result of this, both Jaya and Vijaya were cursed by the Sanat Kumaras to fall to Earth and become human beings until the end of time.

Jaya and his brother soon realised their mistake and became much afraid...they begged and pleaded with the Sanat Kumaras to rescind the curse, but they refused, so they all went before Lord Vishnu to sort it out.

Lord Vishnu said "I cannot undo the curse, but I can mitigate it...Jaya and Vijaya, you have the choice....you can spend seven lifetimes on Earth as being my devotees then return here...OR you can spend one lifetime on Earth as devotees of Lord Shiva and then be killed by ME to return here". Jaya and Vijaya chose the latter...so, Jaya was born on Earth in the form of Ravana and Vijaya was born on Earth in the form of his brother, Kumbhkarna.

Ravana became a great devotee of Lord Shiva and got many boons from him... incredible strength, great wisdom and invincibility EXCEPT at the hands of Lord Vishnu...as it had been arranged prior to that anyway and Ravana started his reign of terror to anger Lord Vishnu into killing him so that he could quickly return to Vaikuntha.

Enter Lord Rama. Rama was an avatar/incarnation of Lord Vishnu, so He is beyond the moral laws usually reserved for human beings anyway...Vishnu is the upholder of Dharma and Ravana was acting with Adharma, so it was Rama's DUTY to kill Ravana...however, to mitigate any perceived "sin" from doing so, he first had to make supplication to Lord Shiva at Rameshwaram, asking for Lord Shiva's blessings to kill one of Shiva's greatest devotees without Lord Shiva getting angry about it. Lord Shiva recognized Rama as being the incarnation of Lord Vishnu and thus gave his blessings... Ravana's time was up. It was all an orchestrated play...a leela of Lord Vishnu and all parties were fully aware of what was going on as they had chosen that karma for themselves beforehand.

I hope this explains it.

Aum Namah Shivaya

It sounds you're confident this is what happened and speak from an organized source.
Old 21-07-2020, 01:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamind
It sounds you're confident this is what happened and speak from an organized source.
Thank you.

Those sources being the Bhagavat Puran and the Shiv Puran.

Aum Namah Shivaya