Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 05-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Deactivated Account
Book of Shadows

Yesterday, I had my first witches training.It is a training of 13 months with every month a full moon ceremony as well.It is not a wicca training but Witchcraft so there are no spells involved.We did a lovely element meditation but it was in Dutch and I prefer to do them in English.We practiced opening and closing a circle.I am still feeling the energy from the group.It was simply amazing.My teacher advised us to make a book of shadow and I don't know where to begin.How have others started and what do you write or put in it?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 AM
Master

Hello Aoitha, Congratulations on starting your training.

I'm surprised that your teacher didn't explain what a Book of Shadows is and what the tradition that she's teaching keeps in it.

Most Witches don't keep a Book of Shadows, they keep a Grimoire. Wiccans keep a Book of Shadows. However, one may call their book what they want to I suppose.

You'll find a good explanation at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows

It explains that a Book of Shadows contains the rituals used by the practitioner or group - the esbats and sabbats - such as the Full Moon Ritual and the rituals for the seasonal festivals (Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain and most people also include the equinoxes and solstices.

Then there will be a section for the spells you work and any other rites you do. As well, a section on correspondences and another section for herbs you work with etc.

Keep in mind that some people view Witchcraft as a craft only - performing spells and working magic and other people see it as a religion. There is no reason to rush into spellworking though.

Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Hello Aoitha, Congratulations on starting your training.

I'm surprised that your teacher didn't explain what a Book of Shadows is and what the tradition that she's teaching keeps in it.

Most Witches don't keep a Book of Shadows, they keep a Grimoire. Wiccans keep a Book of Shadows. However, one may call their book what they want to I suppose.

You'll find a good explanation at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows

It explains that a Book of Shadows contains the rituals used by the practitioner or group - the esbats and sabbats - such as the Full Moon Ritual and the rituals for the seasonal festivals (Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain and most people also include the equinoxes and solstices.

Then there will be a section for the spells you work and any other rites you do. As well, a section on correspondences and another section for herbs you work with etc.

Keep in mind that some people view Witchcraft as a craft only - performing spells and working magic and other people see it as a religion. There is no reason to rush into spellworking though.

Hope this helps

It surprised me as well,that she did not mention it further, but it was the first lesson and we spoken about a lot of things as well as getting to know the women in the group.I am sure it will come up, and she lives nearby so I can always call her to see her.I did see some stuff online, I guess I am struggling to write things down in it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Master
Aoitha, you can record experiences of your training. The grimoire is an aide-memoire as much as anything, you can add the "technical" stuff later as your training develops and you gain expertise and experiences.
My grimoire, as such, is largely photographic plus bits and pieces that I pick up on my wanders [ feathers, interesting rocks, pine cones, etc - they serve as memory recalls ]
The important thing to remember is that it's YOUR grimoire and should be a reflection of YOU as a person, totally ideosyncratic. Everyone finds their own path. Yours begins with formal training, mine began with decades of just wandering the moors and observing Nature.
Hope it all works out for you !
Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Aoitha, you can record experiences of your training. The grimoire is an aide-memoire as much as anything, you can add the "technical" stuff later as your training develops and you gain expertise and experiences.
My grimoire, as such, is largely photographic plus bits and pieces that I pick up on my wanders [ feathers, interesting rocks, pine cones, etc - they serve as memory recalls ]
The important thing to remember is that it's YOUR grimoire and should be a reflection of YOU as a person, totally ideosyncratic. Everyone finds their own path. Yours begins with formal training, mine began with decades of just wandering the moors and observing Nature.
Hope it all works out for you !

Thanks Norseman,after some thinking I decided to make a journal of my teachings and make it personal like putting my meditations and observations and rituals in there.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Knower
I have a stack of papers and notes of things I've written down and things I've copied of interest to me for the future and also to back reference. Guess I need to get organized!

Jenny Crow - What do you think would be the biggest difference between a Witches Grimorie and a Wiccan's Book of Shadows?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:26 AM
Master

Hi Treehugger,

In a couple of words - not much. They both hold the rites/rituals, spells, ingredients etc. of the practitioner, whether Witch or Wiccan.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Knower
Thanks, Jenny!