Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Islam Faith

Old 15-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Master
Interesting video (46 min) on Ibn Arabi

This is an interesting video sent to me by a member in an Islamic Sufi Ibn Arabi group which I thought that I would share here to gauge reactions and trigger discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzkTrPVT_8

Here are some interesting points made during the first few minutes so people can decide whether they want to even listen to it.

1. at 2:55 -- "wish to deconstruct fanaticism"

2. at 3:10 - "the only difference between the gods created from conviction and carved idols worshiped by idolators is that carved idols are fashioned in this outer world and the gods of conviction are internally manufactured through supposition".

3. at 4:00 " the believer ... who is veiled from seeing reality and who has limited god to the form of his own conviction does not actually believe in anything except the divinity of his own fantasy and mental fabrication".

4. at 4:20 - "yet the supreme essence abides beyond limitation and definition even while it appears in all forms of existence in conformity with the eternal divine attributes . Therefore whoever attempts to whatever is beyond limitation and who rejects any conception of divinity other than his own has only the God he has fabricated as the god of his conviction.So there is no difference between the carved idol worshiped by idolators as deities and the gods fabricated in the constricted minds of those veiled from true Reality."

5. at 6:30 "What he was stressing of course was the path of spiritual experience and the amazingly optimistic and lovely idea of the imago dei , the divine image shared by all of the great traditions even in Buddhism , the original mind. "
Old 16-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
This is an interesting video sent to me by a member in an Islamic Sufi Ibn Arabi group which I thought that I would share here to gauge reactions and trigger discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzkTrPVT_8

Here are some interesting points made during the first few minutes so people can decide whether they want to even listen to it.

1. at 2:55 -- "wish to deconstruct fanaticism"

2. at 3:10 - "the only difference between the gods created from conviction and carved idols worshiped by idolators is that carved idols are fashioned in this outer world and the gods of conviction are internally manufactured through supposition".

3. at 4:00 " the believer ... who is veiled from seeing reality and who has limited god to the form of his own conviction does not actually believe in anything except the divinity of his own fantasy and mental fabrication".

4. at 4:20 - "yet the supreme essence abides beyond limitation and definition even while it appears in all forms of existence in conformity with the eternal divine attributes . Therefore whoever attempts to whatever is beyond limitation and who rejects any conception of divinity other than his own has only the God he has fabricated as the god of his conviction.So there is no difference between the carved idol worshiped by idolators as deities and the gods fabricated in the constricted minds of those veiled from true Reality."

5. at 6:30 "What he was stressing of course was the path of spiritual experience and the amazingly optimistic and lovely idea of the imago dei , the divine image shared by all of the great traditions even in Buddhism , the original mind. "

Can I find this anywhere in written form SW? I prefer to read than watch Video's.
Old 17-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Can I find this anywhere in written form SW? I prefer to read than watch Video's.

I too prefer to read, but I haven't found this lecture in written form anywhere.

If I see something from Ibn Arabi in English, I will post it.
Old 17-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Master
Quote:
I too prefer to read, but I haven't found this lecture in written form anywhere.

If I see something from Ibn Arabi in English, I will post it.

Thank you

I found lots of His Quotes, the're beautiful....
Old 18-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thank you

I found lots of His Quotes, the're beautiful....

I responded to the person who e-mailed the lecture to our group and we will be talking on the phone on Sunday at 3 PM. I may have made a new friend through Ibn Arabi and he is apparently well versed in the teachings of Ibn Arabi.

I'm glad that you found "lots of His Quotes".
Old 19-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Master
Quote:
I responded to the person who e-mailed the lecture to our group and we will be talking on the phone on Sunday at 3 PM. I may have made a new friend through Ibn Arabi and he is apparently well versed in the teachings of Ibn Arabi.

I'm glad that you found "lots of His Quotes".

I looked around and found some Poetry, lovely

http://www.ibnarabisociety.org/index.html