Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 01-12-2020, 02:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thank you, I've traced them to the 1400s and it's been an ' Eye-opener '

Crazy, I have no idea who are my ancestors, when you think about it, you know your last 621 years of history, all those people lived so that you can also be here.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
Crazy, I have no idea who are my ancestors, when you think about it, you know your last 621 years of history, all those people lived so that you can also be here.

Yes because of them I am

You could start TM to trace yours, I don't know if in your Country Churches keep Records as they do here but that's a good place to start....
Old 01-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Master
The Indictment of John Rigbye...

Surrey Sessions.
The jury on behalf of our lady the Queen alleged that John Rigbye, Yeoman,
lately of the parish of St. Saviour, in the Borough of Southwark, in the
aforesaid County of Surrey, being a natural subject of the Queen and not
having God before his eyes, but instigated, seduced and moved by the devil etc:

Didn't they know that the Person who inspired their Religion/Beliefs wouldn't have cared about the Title of Christianity they chose.

' Not having God before his eyes, but instigated, seduced and moved by the devil ' maybe they should have looked in a Mirror with God before their eyes...
Old 02-12-2020, 02:21 PM
ImthatIm

sky123
The link below, I suppose you may have already read the account
but I do want to warn you it is not a pleasant read.(I hope it is NOT fake news)
I do not want to upset you with it but found it startling and compassionate on your
relatives side.
Startling both in Bravery and cruelty.
Quote:
Repeatedly offered his life to apostatize, even en route to his scaffold, Rigby cheerfully refused.
Above quote taken from below link.

http://www.executedtoday.com/2015/06...by-lay-martyr/
Old 02-12-2020, 02:48 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
' Not having God before his eyes, but instigated, seduced and moved by the devil ' maybe they should have looked in a Mirror with God before their eyes...

The lens of authority and perceived power does deform the reality.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
sky123
The link below, I suppose you may have already read the account
but I do want to warn you it is not a pleasant read.(I hope it is NOT fake news)
I do not want to upset you with it but found it startling and compassionate on your
relatives side.
Startling both in Bravery and cruelty.

Above quote taken from below link.

http://www.executedtoday.com/2015/06...by-lay-martyr/

Thanks imthatim, it is stomach churning barbarity but it's true, definitely not ' Fake News '.
What they have got wrong is that John was a Catholic Convert, He was brought up in a Catholic Family so wasn't a convert but for financial reasons they decided to pretend they weren't, John's conscience must have gotten to Him when asked face to face He couldn't deny His True Religion..
During the reign of Queen Elizabeth your home/land could have been confiscated if you couldn't pay your fines so I presume His Parents didn't have the finances to pay so they kept their Catholicism Hidden, unfortunately John couldn't.
The more I am learning the more I am thinking that it wasn't as much about Religion but ' Obedience ' to the Queen, you do what your told or face the consequences, or maybe a bit of both. Whatever the reasons , ' Man's inhumanity To Mankind ' fits perfectly...

I keep forgetting to ask.... Have you managed your ' Beloved Mountain ' yet ?
Hope so
Old 02-12-2020, 05:13 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Thanks imthatim, it is stomach churning barbarity but it's true, definitely not ' Fake News '.
What they have got wrong is that John was a Catholic Convert, He was brought up in a Catholic Family so wasn't a convert but for financial reasons they decided to pretend they weren't, John's conscience must have gotten to Him when asked face to face He couldn't deny His True Religion..
During the reign of Queen Elizabeth your home/land could have been confiscated if you couldn't pay your fines so I presume His Parents didn't have the finances to pay so they kept their Catholicism Hidden, unfortunately John couldn't.
The more I am learning the more I am thinking that it wasn't as much about Religion but ' Obedience ' to the Queen, you do what your told or face the consequences, or maybe a bit of both. Whatever the reasons , ' Man's inhumanity To Mankind ' fits perfectly...

Hope so

I got depressed there for a second.

Only in Spirit. Covid, Covid, Covid.

I did make it to the ocean, my brothers first time.
I insisted that he touch the water with his hands.
He traveled 2000 miles to see the ocean, so it just seemed
wrong to let him walk away when being so close.
He balked, but finally gave in and reached down to the water
with both hands and grabbed, both sand and water and stood
silently caressing it and then he smiled and lit up.
"If feels different then I thought it would."
He said.
It made me happy.

I was surprised to hear that your relative stood in for his employers
daughter, since she was ill. Which led to his being questioned on his faith/religion.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
A bit of background of those historical times in England.

Recusancy, a Latin phrase meaning to refuse or make an objection, was the name given to those who refused to attend Anglican services during the history of England, Wales and Ireland. The word was used to refer to people, known as recusants, who remained loyal to the pope and did not attend or refused to attend Church of England services.

The "1558 Recusancy Acts" began during the reign of Elizabeth I, and stayed on the statute books until 1888. They imposed punishment such as fines, property confiscation, and imprisonment on those who did not participate in Anglican religious activity. In some cases those adhering to Catholicism faced capital punishment, and some English and Welsh Catholics who were executed in the 16th and 17th centuries have been canonised by the Catholic Church as martyrs of the English Reformation.

The Anglican Church originated when King Henry VIII split from the Roman Catholic Church in 1534, when the pope refused to grant the king an annulment.

So King Henry VIII made his own religion because the Roman catholic Pope refused to let the King have an annulment, a legal procedure that cancels a marriage. King Henry VIII is best known for his six wives, and several mistresses he kept on the side. The monarch’s desperate quest for political unification and a healthy male heir drove him to annul two marriages and have two wives beheaded.

So more interesting stuff.....King Henry VIII's daughter, Mary I of England (known as bloody Mary)was a Catholic and tried to get rid of the Church Of England and had over 300 religious dissenters burned at the stake. (Her father executed 81 people for heresy.) Then Queen Mary's half sister Elizabeth I, also executed scores of people for their faith.

If someone ordered me, hey go to this church an hour a day or die.... I'd go. Would not change my inner beliefs. Churches are human inventions, God is in all, no matter what religion they attend. The Christian wars were insanely brutal and bloody in those times, yet all of those churches worshipped Jesus. The problem was in the Church leadership and all the power those leaders had. Like that one Pope told the King, nope you can't get out of your marriage. I won't let you.

That is great historical information about the"1558 Recusancy Acts" about which I had known nothing.

Like yourself, "If someone ordered me, hey go to this church an hour a day or die.... I'd go. Would not change my inner beliefs. Churches are human inventions, God is in all, no matter what religion they attend."

If others choose to die rather than submit to such a law, they are certainly free to do so but it's a curious decision to make such people "saints".

"thumbsup:
Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Master
Quote:

Hope so

I am inclined to agree with you that this was more about "obedience to the Queen" than about religion.

Keep in mind that there were reported conspiracies to put the Catholic Mary Stuart on the throne of England so I can understand the perceived importance of having the people show their loyalty via their choice of religion.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
That is great historical information about the"1558 Recusancy Acts" about which I had known nothing.

Like yourself, "If someone ordered me, hey go to this church an hour a day or die.... I'd go. Would not change my inner beliefs. Churches are human inventions, God is in all, no matter what religion they attend."

If others choose to die rather than submit to such a law, they are certainly free to do so but it's a curious decision to make such people "saints".

"thumbsup:

I'm grateful John was called a Saint otherwise I would never had known about Him but sad that the reason was so barbaric.....