Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Old 17-10-2021, 12:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob

I doubt it makes any more than a scrat of difference to file size hence server storage space but I'm in no position to be able to substantiate my doubts.

How the website operates is the province of those with that responsibility. We're privileged we get to use this wonderful resource without charge - FREE! Let's reflect on that, eh?
Forums are free, have always been free. And it could be debated if it truly is as many paid to keep it running. That was people's own choice of course, and in that sense, to each their own.

As I see it the only reason this still exists is because there are no decent alternatives anymore as everything moved to FB.

In any case, I don't think a 3 line rule does much as it is all text only anyways. Especially not as there was already the automatic deletion of prior quotes so you only quoted the last post, not an entire discussion.
Old 17-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
Forums are free, have always been free.
Some forum-based websites are indeed free to set up and they are mostly and perhaps always free for subscribers to them..... But we all know there's no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody or some organisation has to cover the costs involved when operating a website.
Quote:
And it could be debated if it truly is as many paid to keep it running. That was people's own choice of course, and in that sense, to each their own.
I'm not persuaded it could be debated sensibly without knowing details. As for me I just say kudos to anyone who has contributed to the running costs and kudos to the moderators and administrators who volunteer their time so I and many others get the benefit of being able to use this website and its many forums.
Quote:
As I see it the only reason this still exists is because there are no decent alternatives anymore as everything moved to FB.
I disagree.
Quote:
In any case, I don't think a 3 line rule does much as it is all text only anyways. Especially not as there was already the automatic deletion of prior quotes so you only quoted the last post, not an entire discussion.
I think I'd already made a similar point. But like it or not the 3 sentence rule is in place and we should respect the rules of this website if we wish to continue enjoying the privilege of using it.

blessings
Old 17-10-2021, 03:28 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
There are 2M posts, and most of them are old and in inactive threads.

Wh...........thread without deleting from the archive? Maybe "archiving" a thread would just do that?

Without first knowing that there is an actual problem, and without knowing what caused it if there is, taking action to achieve one outcome or another might be a fruitless and frustrating waste of time and effort. Above and beyond that, of course, is that only the individual who 'owns' this website - or their nominated representative(s) - would have the authority to undertake such an activity.

Please think on that moderators/administrators do have lives outside of SF. Spending additional time dealing with 'problems' that may not be actual problems is unfair to expect. It's also not logical.
Old 17-10-2021, 06:01 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Without first knowing that there is an actual problem, and without knowing what caused it if there is, taking action to achieve one outcome or another might be a fruitless and frustrating waste of time and effort.
Well, it seems that there is a data size problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
This is a new rule as some quotes were taking up too much space. some were really long,
we were told to cut them down due to space.
In my experience of using hosting services, it's usually the database that is constraining. Raw space for static sites (archives for example) is usually not a problem.
The database could be used for "living" threads by the forum software, and that would save up like 95% of the space, as well as unload the server.

Quote:
Please think on that moderators/administrators do have lives outside of SF. Spending additional time dealing with 'problems' that may not be actual problems is unfair to expect. It's also not logical.
Sure, I'm just throwing ideas, I'm not saying who should do what and how. I don't know the IT knowledge of admins, nor the complexity with vBulletin, nor the time anyone could allocate to do any of that.
And most of all, I'm not blaming anyone! :)
Old 17-10-2021, 06:20 PM
Deactivated Account
reality

The actuality is that we members don't know if there even is a problem.

And if there is a problem we don't know its nature hence we can't know if our personal experience has relevance.
Old 17-10-2021, 07:15 PM
Quote:
But like it or not the 3 sentence rule is in place and we should respect the rules of this website if
we wish to continue enjoying the privilege of using it.
Then why did you just quote 6 sentences?

I think you need a cuppa!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 17-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Administrator
The three sentence rules regarding quotes are here to stay.please do not discuss this again

Namaste
Old 17-10-2021, 07:42 PM
Deactivated Account
Isn't the real importance of the rule of three sentences to avoid a posting being quoted - perhaps a very long one - without responding to specific points made in it?

Wouldn't it be appropriate to quote each point you are making a specific response to, reducing the text of that section to three sentences where it's longer?

Or have I misunderstood?
Old 17-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Administrator
The rule was brought in because some posts were long in themselves and that was before the long quotes that came with it.
it made it very long for people to read and it took up too much space

Namaste