Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Alpha-Taurus

Question Native question

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and have just been browsing after I introduced myself. My question is rather broad if even a question at all. I have always been fascinated and admired Native Americans and their culture. I know for a fact I am part Native but have been so far unable to find out which tribe my ancestry stems from.

I suppose I am just wondering if there is anyone here in southern Ontario or from a local tribe who could maybe enlighten me and guide me to the culture and customs of their tribe. I've had an ever growing desire to at least be aware of the customs as I respect them very much.

I plan on going hunting soon for my first time and would like to first know how to formally give thanks to the animal and send it off in peace. I've always been very respectful and attune to animals and would feel very wrong taking an animals life without having the tools to respect it and give thanks to it properly. I hope this has made sense to someone and I apologize in advance if it comes off as mindless ramblings.

Thank you to all who read this.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Triad

Here is a listing for Ontario Indigenous tribes, I hope it helps.

http://www.native-languages.org/ontario.htm
Old 08-05-2011, 11:13 PM
jjj

It's frustrating to be unable to trace your family :( My grandmother is half Native American. I have tried endless hours to trace the family. I know that her mother's body was exhumed and returned to her people in Oklahoma but I cannot even trace who her mother's parents were.

Anyway, I sort of study (when I can) about some general customs and tend to look into Cherokee for language and traditions although other tribal identities interest me as well. I'm sorry I don't know exact rituals to give thanks to the animal's spirit. My personal belief is that the intention is more important than the exact ritual but some Natives would argue that point.

I hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

Walk in beauty~
Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Medium_Laura

My tribe is from Quebec and also traveled down through Minnesota. If you haven't found a proper "hunting" ritual, please let me know and I will ask my tribal counsel. Usually it is a private thing between members but I can do my best (ie: I'm a woman and that isn't usually shared with us as well! lol)
Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Medium_Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
It's frustrating to be unable to trace your family :( My grandmother is half Native American. I have tried endless hours to trace the family. I know that her mother's body was exhumed and returned to her people in Oklahoma but I cannot even trace who her mother's parents were.

Anyway, I sort of study (when I can) about some general customs and tend to look into Cherokee for language and traditions although other tribal identities interest me as well. I'm sorry I don't know exact rituals to give thanks to the animal's spirit. My personal belief is that the intention is more important than the exact ritual but some Natives would argue that point.

Walk in beauty~
It is because they didn't have birth records unless they were on a Rez. Even then, they were given "white" names and new certificates were created. I have the same issue. I do know the tribe and found out a lot about them through my family, but as far as actual "papers" there are none.
Old 20-07-2011, 09:52 PM
native wiccan

i moved this message

to answer the question on hunting rituals

Last edited by native wiccan : 20-07-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: i posted in the wrong place
Old 20-07-2011, 10:03 PM
native wiccan

Smile finding yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj

Walk in beauty~

i'm just learning to use hehehe but seriously,praying or talking to your spirit guides like the animal totem would be a good way to get answers on your heritage, also you could offer a small amount of the food the animal eats, place the food in a dish anywhere in your home an alter is nice or outside by a tree whatever you feel suits you,also offering tobacco is a native tradition,this is just my opinion. go with your heart
Old 20-07-2011, 10:05 PM
native wiccan

Thumbs up hunting ritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha-Taurus
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and have just been browsing after I introduced myself. My question is rather broad if even a question at all. I have always been fascinated and admired Native Americans and their culture. I know for a fact I am part Native but have been so far unable to find out which tribe my ancestry stems from.

I suppose I am just wondering if there is anyone here in southern Ontario or from a local tribe who could maybe enlighten me and guide me to the culture and customs of their tribe. I've had an ever growing desire to at least be aware of the customs as I respect them very much.

I plan on going hunting soon for my first time and would like to first know how to formally give thanks to the animal and send it off in peace. I've always been very respectful and attune to animals and would feel very wrong taking an animals life without having the tools to respect it and give thanks to it properly. I hope this has made sense to someone and I apologize in advance if it comes off as mindless ramblings.

Thank you to all who read this.

i have never asked about it but i feel it would go something like this.......befor or after you could hold some tobacco in the palm of your hand and thank the animal for its life , or what ever words comes from your heart and soul
Old 21-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Enya

I'd go with what native wiccan said... give a gift of tobacco and voice sincere gratitude for the gift of the creature's life and meat. Not being cheeky, but using the wordings and sentiment of the hunting scenes in 'Avatar' is as good a method as any.
Old 21-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Time

Alpha - Im an ontarian, and an half mohawk. Im having the same problem.

The thing is, when they started to round them up and put them in residential schools, most tribes renounced all ties to native tradition. Not to mention the kids in residentual school were raped, beated and or murdered if they were found practicing native traditions.

The thing is too, every single bit of native tradition was passed on by word of mouth by the chief. So, theres now an estimated 60-80% loss of ALL native traditions in North America. Each clan and family had a slight different tradition then the next, and certain villages had other traditions then other villages, but they were primaraly nature worshipers, not much different from druids/celts in the UK.

My family, renounced all native ties, and still denies being native, dispite the fact its very hard not to say they are. LOL theres no mistaking it, especialy if you seen my grandpa red skin, straight, thick black hair ( it went blond before he died), high cheek bones, flat feet...... broader nose, brown eyes... the list goes on LOL

The best thing to do, is find out what kind of native you are, and try to connect a family name with that tribe. Then you can do into where that tribe is now, and ask the older people. SOOO many of the older generation remember things that arent written down.

Good luck!!!