Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 21-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Knower

The ultimate theory of relativity

What I have come to realise after much thought is that everything is relative.

The entire universe is relative to you, let me explain...

The size of everything is relative to the size of you, if you shrunk down to the size of a pea that seat you are sitting on will become much bigger. And it would work the same in the opposite direction.. If you became the size of a mountain the earth would shrink in size.

The brightness of a torch is relative to the brightness in the room you are shining it in.

The speed of the car ahead of you is relative to the speed your car is going.

The loudness of your breathing is relative to the loudness of your environment.

The hotness of that spicy curry is relative to the heat levels of curry you have have eaten in the past.

The pain you feel when you stub your toe on the door is relative to the levels of pain you have experienced in the past.

The warmth of the sun is relative to the levels of heat you have experienced in the past.

The speed in which time goes by is relative to the amount of time you have spent experiencing time.

Your perception is relative to your experience just as your experience is relative to your perception.

The universe is relative to you just as you are relative to the universe.

Ect..ect..ect..ect..ect

Your entire universe is relative to YOU :)
Old 21-05-2015, 02:08 AM
Ascender
And the conclusion is?
Old 21-05-2015, 02:25 AM
Knower

The universe exists EVERYWHERE. The space around us is essentially the universe, or space. And since we live linear lives, that is where the concept of 'time' comes from. Space, and time. The universe reacts to you, as you react to it. What you feed it is what you get back in return, it knows of you even if you do not know of it.

if you were an ant, you would be in the ant world, being an ant and not knowing anything but how to be an ant. You would be used to the sizes of grass blades towering over you and you would not know that there is a whole other 'world' out there, that the other beings exist are more intelligent, or anything else for that matter. Because you would be an ant. lol.

Just as we are like ants on this planet, relative to the size of all else that is out there, our planet is an ant to the universe. Now, consider what we might be to that, an even smaller portion of that whole wide amount of space. But, just as we can shrink down to the size of the pea be can become bigger than a sea, and everything around us would be relative to our size and accommodate for the difference.

Perhaps we are all in different universes, or planets, but they all overlap onto each other for each person there has ever been. And the internet is a way to reach out to others' even if they are no where near to you... they might as well be in another dimension.
Old 21-05-2015, 04:19 AM
Ascender

Old 21-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanb
What I have come to realise after much thought is that everything is relative.

The entire universe is relative to you, let me explain...

The size of everything is relative to the size of you, if you shrunk down to the size of a pea that seat you are sitting on will become much bigger. And it would work the same in the opposite direction.. If you became the size of a mountain the earth would shrink in size.

The brightness of a torch is relative to the brightness in the room you are shining it in.

Ect..ect..ect..ect..ect
Hardly. Just because you can cleverly compare anything to other stuff does not make it relative. It just makes it relative in your mind.

There is some evidence to support the idea that you can't keep shrinking or expanding things in size. There are absolute limits.
Old 21-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Knower

Hehe~ The ant photos made me giggle! XD
Old 21-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Hardly. Just because you can cleverly compare anything to other stuff does not make it relative. It just makes it relative in your mind.

There is some evidence to support the idea that you can't keep shrinking or expanding things in size. There are absolute limits.

There are limits in infinity? That's the first time iv'e ever heard that!
You can make something as big as you like, or as small as you like... At the end of the day, it depends on the being perceiving it and how big or small he/she is.

The reason i was starting this thread is because, if i can prove everything is relative then we can see that the entire universe is relative to you and that the universe is an interconnected relationship between itself.

Your experience is relative to you and only you, just as my experience is relative to me and only me.
Old 22-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Master
Quote:
There are limits in infinity? That's the first time iv'e ever heard that!
I did not say that infinity has limits. Stuff in this universe has limits even if the size of the universe is infinite. The presumed smallest scale of any 'feature' as defined by science is called the 'Planck length'. That means that no particle (or anything else) IN THE UNIVERSE can be smaller than that.

Quote:
You can make something as big as you like, or as small as you like... At the end of the day, it depends on the being perceiving it and how big or small he/she is.
In your mind, you can imagine whatever you want. However that does not mean reality is that way.

Simply changing the measuring units will yield a larger or smaller number to describe the length of something. However, that thing is still the same size.

Quote:
The reason i was starting this thread is because, if i can prove everything is relative then we can see that the entire universe is relative to you and that the universe is an interconnected relationship between itself.
I don't see how you are going to get there with this approach. The idea of the universe being relative to you or perhaps you and it being the same thing is not a new idea.

The most well known of these is that everything is consciousness and that there is only one consciousness. As such, the aspect of consciousness that is your identity, is but a piece of a whole.

Quote:
Your experience is relative to you and only you, just as my experience is relative to me and only me.
Fair enough on this.The question then becomes is there anything else besides experience.

However, it might disprove your hypothesis. According to this, your experience is NOT relative to mine unless we are the same being. In that case there is no 'you' and 'me'.
Old 22-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
However, it might disprove your hypothesis. According to this, your experience is NOT relative to mine unless we are the same being. In that case there is no 'you' and 'me'.

Well, i believe the universe is indeed one being perceiving itself.
In Buddhism, to put it in very simple terms.. You are in control of how you perceive everything, or at least your being has the power to be in control.
Many of us have an almost automated perception that is effected by external conditions but the external conditions aren't external at all, they are the mind.

But anyway, what you say is correct. There is no "me" or "you" and this is something else that Buddha taught (The emptiness of all phenomenon.)

So, there's no me or you to attach any sort of relativity towards.. But that means that there's no universe to attach any relativity towards either considering everything is one being?

A bit off topic, but what do you believe the consciousness exists as?
what is awareness made up of? is it a result of the absence of existence?
Old 22-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Master
Quote:
A bit off topic, but what do you believe the consciousness exists as? what is awareness made up of? is it a result of the absence of existence?
I believe that conscious, awareness, and existence are but three of a vast number of properties (of reality) that might be present in various parts of the universe. All three are present here on Earth. Consciousness is the property of storing information. Awareness is the property of gathering information about reality. Existence is the property of having actualized form.

As such, consciousness is nowhere near unity/oneness/source. Its just a property a few creatures possess.